A&H

League One Playoff Final

Joshref

RefChat Addict
Barnsley may feel aggrieved here.

Denied a penalty that's a pen for me, with VAR choosing to not overturn

Minutes later, a straight red card that many will fee of harsh, which VAR again chooses to not overturn.

Gonna be an interesting end to this game

The Referee Store
These are both incidents that could have gone either way, but I am happy for them to not be seen as C&O errors. The penalty seemed the clearer decision of the two to me though I do also think the following foul was more likely to be red too.

Just in case I'm not being clear enough I think the right decisions are 1. Penalty and 2. Red card - SFP

Co-commentator basically calling for mandatory on-field reviews now, if there were then would probably be complaining about them slowing the game down!

Last edited:
Looked a nailed on penalty, the good old invisible high bar of what is clear and obvious at work again.

For me it's a shocking challenge by the Barnsley player. Launches into it with both feet off the floor, gets nothing of the ball and catches his opponent with the trailing leg, probably a good job the leading straight leg didn't make contact. Can see why the referee saw it as dangerous.

I do think it is a red card, unfortunately it looked more like a long jump than a challenge… however, one thing I can say about the red is that he does appear to pull out of the challenge which could have reduced it to a yellow.

Didn’t see the pen as I was busy having a hair cut…. I know - living the dream!

Co-commentator basically calling for mandatory on-field reviews now, if there were then would probably be complaining about them slowing the game down!
He's been very poor on co-comms. Saying it's not a red cos it's a final and then saying the ref should be sent to the screen to see it a few times and then if he still thinks it's red he can keep it!

Btw I think penalty and I'm unsure on the second one. Neither are C and O in my opinion tho

Camera went to Howard Webb in the stands after the red card, wonder what he was typing on his phone?

Glad it's not just me who thinks Don Goodman is talking utter rubbish, always seems quick to ref bash at every opportunity.

Camera went to Howard Webb in the stands after the red card, wonder what he was typing on his phone?

Glad it's not just me who thinks Don Goodman is talking utter rubbish, always seems quick to ref bash at every opportunity.
The red is fine I am ok with that - but the pen I don’t think the ref could see that real time - so VAR should have intervened.

PK
Someone remind me what the definition of 'clear & obvious' equates to again... I've no clue
Agree with SFP

Haven't seen the pen shout... the red I'm absolutely fine with whatever colour the onfield decision goes.

No review recommended for escalation if yellow, no review to downgrade if red.

I think it's a red, and I think it took balls to give it in a play off final.

However, they have missed a pen there. Totally understand the ref not seeing it but it's clear as day on replays.

Well that was my first experience of celebrating a goal like a loony and VAR chalking it off!! Correct decision, on this occasion, but felt a bit of a prat. Had to apologise to the dogs..

Barnsley will feel decisions have gone against them, it was a clear penalty, but I don't understand the complaints on the red. Well done Tim Robinson on that one.

Commentators and pundits showed once again clear misunderstanding of VAR and basic law ... Even when presented with the SFP law!!

Thought ref team did well overall... With only the non-penalty to call out as a incorrect KMI.

As an owl, I am very happy tis evening.

I have to disagree with the red. My first thought in real time was the player had gone to kick the ball and was late but I didn’t feel there was excessive force or any loss of control/endangering opponent. I also didn’t think he had two feet off the ground as some have said here. The problem I have with the ref’s decision is it looks like his view is compromised by another player and his angle made it difficult to see the challenge properly but decision was made and no chance it was clear and obvious for VAR to intervene

Well that was my first experience of celebrating a goal like a loony and VAR chalking it off!! Correct decision, on this occasion, but felt a bit of a prat. Had to apologise to the dogs..

Barnsley will feel decisions have gone against them, it was a clear penalty, but I don't understand the complaints on the red. Well done Tim Robinson on that one.

Commentators and pundits showed once again clear misunderstanding of VAR and basic law ... Even when presented with the SFP law!!

Thought ref team did well overall... With only the non-penalty to call out as a incorrect KMI.

As an owl, I am very happy tis evening.
Schoolboy error @JamesL
I called it straight away when the ball went through. FWIW, I'd backed Owls to get promoted so was happy with the result, but Barnsley were mightily unfortunate to lose in the way that they did. Good game anyway, the PK was not seen by Robinson and was bloody obvious IMO and it was a straight red all day.... in itself a great example of brave Refereeing when the stakes are high

I'm conscious that my own threshold for SFP is too high.... I've only ever dismissed one player for a dangerous tackle (hundreds of games), so either I'm the best preventative Ref out there or my bar is too high

Last edited:
Schoolboy error @JamesL
I called it straight away when the ball went through. FWIW, I'd backed Owls to get promoted so was happy with the result, but Barnsley were mightily unfortunate to lose in the way that they did. Good game anyway, the PK was not seen by Robinson and was bloody obvious IMO and it was a straight red all day.... in itself a great example of brave Refereeing when the stakes are high

I'm conscious that my own threshold for SFP is too high.... I've only ever dismissed one player for a dangerous tackle (hundreds of games), so either I'm the best preventative Ref out there or my bar is too high
I was distracted just before (bloody toddler) so didn't see it until replays. Clear as day offside haha. But what a strike. If that had won it they'd be reeling that one out for years to come.

The SFP call was great teamwork. It was obvious TR was getting input from the team to increase his surety on it.

Back