A&H

Laws/Rules that you didn't know existed until becoming a referee

WiisardNic

So, I've finally started my journey by doing my associations LOTG quiz prior to doing the training course.

Interesting thing that I never knew until today:

If a match is extended because of a penalty being awarded (I'll use Italy v Australia in the 2006 World Cup as an example, penalty awarded at the end of added time, so time was added further to allow the penalty to be taken), if the ball rebounds off the crossbar and back into play, even if another player puts the rebound immediately into the goal, it is disallowed, and the half/match is concluded as soon as the penalty has missed/scored.

Did anyone else come across any laws/rules/tidbits that they didn't know existed until becoming a referee, that they found interesting?

The Referee Store
I've only awarded one spot kick on the stroke of HT/FT
Be absolutely sure to publicly announce that the game is over once the PK is complete
Personally, (as players don't know what this means), I'd always allow play to continue until a goal is scored, the ball is cleared, or it goes out of play

Personally, (as players don't know what this means), I'd always allow play to continue until a goal is scored, the ball is cleared, or it goes out of play
So you are saying that you will simply ignore a Law of the Game rather than go to the trouble of explaining it?

I've only awarded one spot kick on the stroke of HT/FT
Be absolutely sure to publicly announce that the game is over once the PK is complete

Why oh why make this complicated and make up your own rules? All you have to say is, "Gentlemen, time is up, but we still take the PK. There's no play off a rebound as time is up."

Why oh why make this complicated and make up your own rules? All you have to say is, "Gentlemen, time is up, but we still take the PK. There's no play off a rebound as time is up."

Not sure I'd recommend that, someone is bound to chipe up with "if time is up how can they take a penalty".

I think most referee coaches would advise playing on after the penalty, there's no argument that it is wrong in law as the referee is the sole judge of time. It's the same as when a goal is scored right at the end of stoppage time, I've heard a lot of coaches say always restart for 30 seconds if that goal has changed the outcome of the game to avoid problems and complaints.

Have had a verrrrry late penalty once. Cup game, wasn’t going to change the result. No qualms in admitting that I just played on an extra thirty seconds or so (was saved and cleared) rather than the match control ballache from trying to manage that situation. Was assessed that game too, and no mention of it was made. Not recommending this because obviously it’s a breach of Law, but hey, it was my watch and who’s to say I didn’t find an extra 30 seconds somewhere from a stoppage hint hint

Don’t miss sub text off or exclusions on law answers. There is always a resident law lawyer waiting to pounce!😂

Happily, others have answered this. Merit expected for AOL and distinction for MC 👍
Rather than over complicating things, I'm on the path of least resistance

Where one man sees a path of least resistance another sees a ref making up his own rules. (C.f. wedding rings, taped earrings, and many other topics we've discussed on here.)

Personally, I'm going to apply the LOTG rather than looking for easy ways out. The Laws are very clear on how this is supposed to be done, and I just don't think it's hard to do this properly, so I see no reason to refuse to do it properly. (And doing it properly has the added advantage of avoiding the potential post-PK melee on a rebound, which is bound to be testy if this is a PK that matters to the result.)

a ref making up his own rules. (C.f. wedding rings, taped earrings, and many other topics we've discussed on here.)
I have respect for your posts because your a knowledgeable chap with regards to Law (and the history of it)
But you've misrepresented me with this post
WRT this discussion, I'm in good company with my suggested approach (which doesn't involve any invention of Law)
WRT 'many other topics discussed on here', I can think of only one frequent transgression I'm guilty of (and you haven't listed it.... boot check)
Never on my FOP, has a combatant taken to battle wearing any sort of jewellery, taped or otherwise
I'm flippant and dry on the forum, you've failed to recognise this

I have respect for your posts because your a knowledgeable chap with regards to Law (and the history of it)
But you've misrepresented me with this post

I think you are misreading my post. I'm not accusing you of making up your own thing with respect to those other issues. (Indeed, I think we agree more often than not--indeed, we agree that if following extended time, it is critical to tell the players before the kick to avoid telling them after the ball is in the net from a rebound.) The point I was making is there are a number of other places where referees decide to do what they want instead of what the Laws say, and when some referees do that, I think it is a disservice to the game--and that tends to be the consensus on most of those issues: don't be last week's ref.

While you say that it isn't an invention of Law, sure, you can call it what you want. But you are saying you are going to ignore the clear dictate of the law and arbitrarily add on additional time to avoid what the law calls for. That is not how additional time is supposed to work under the LOTG, which provides precise instructions for what happens if time expires between the time the foul is called and the PK. This isn't a gray area where we are invited to figure out what the game expects or use common sense, but something that is black and white under the law. And yes, I realize there are things uniformly fudged on (most obviously the sixteen :D second rule for GK possession, but I disagree that this is one of those places.

"combatant" ?

Ooof
He must do tougher games than I do!

As a youngster I thought direct and indirect referred to the position of a free kick and whether a goal could realistically be scored from it - i.e. between the 18 and touch line was indirect.

I think you are misreading my post. I'm not accusing you of making up your own thing with respect to those other issues. (Indeed, I think we agree more often than not--indeed, we agree that if following extended time, it is critical to tell the players before the kick to avoid telling them after the ball is in the net from a rebound.) The point I was making is there are a number of other places where referees decide to do what they want instead of what the Laws say, and when some referees do that, I think it is a disservice to the game--and that tends to be the consensus on most of those issues: don't be last week's ref.

While you say that it isn't an invention of Law, sure, you can call it what you want. But you are saying you are going to ignore the clear dictate of the law and arbitrarily add on additional time to avoid what the law calls for. That is not how additional time is supposed to work under the LOTG, which provides precise instructions for what happens if time expires between the time the foul is called and the PK. This isn't a gray area where we are invited to figure out what the game expects or use common sense, but something that is black and white under the law. And yes, I realize there are things uniformly fudged on (most obviously the sixteen :D second rule for GK possession, but I disagree that this is one of those places.

He must do tougher games than I do!
Typical forum discussion, rife with misunderstanding haha :confused:

Back