A&H

Laws of the Game Quiz - May

May quiz has a couple of curly ones.

https://form.jotform.co/90928341400855

As always, you will see your score once you submit. If you put a correct email address in, all questions, your answers, correct answers and LOTG references are auto-emailed to you. Your email is not used for anything else but if you don't want to use your email, message me the name you used and I can message you back with the content of your quiz result.

Answers may be discussed in the thread so best to do the quiz before reading the rest of the thread

The Referee Store
Confused. I allegedly got question 4 wrong. In the table of answers it refers me to law 8 paragraph 2 which isn't anything to do with 1 sub cracking another sub.

However law 12 says...

If an offence is committed outside the field of play against a player, substitute,
substituted player or team official of their own team, play is restarted
with an indirect free kick on the boundary line closest to where the offence
occurred.

Which is what I answers, of course.

Confused. I allegedly got question 4 wrong. In the table of answers it refers me to law 8 paragraph 2 which isn't anything to do with 1 sub cracking another sub.

However law 12 says...

If an offence is committed outside the field of play against a player, substitute,
occurred.

Yeh, i got three questions wrong (closed book); i'm never wrong...

However law 12 says...

occurred.

James, I was doubtful if I should use this question or not when I put the quiz together (a good quiz question must have a clear answer) but decided there is enough in the current laws and from IFAB to support a clear answer. from the laws of the game alone, your quote form Law 12.4 is the closest it comes to describing scenario 12. However that paragraph only applies to players. I know it's not clear in wording of the law and you would have every right to dispute it. In the context of Law 12 and it's intent, DFK's (law 12.1) and IFK's (Law 12.2) are are only awarded if a foul/misconduct is by a player or against a player or match official, or there is interference with play (which can indirectly be considered an offence against players). The paragraph was added last year and as usual the wording chosen was not specifies to what it was trying to clarify.

Outside of my own personal clarification of this scenario with IFAB (email to IFAB which was posted here last year) there are two other places you can refer to be more clear on the answer:

Current law of the game
1557912883093.png

And Q&A published last December

1557912954673.png

Given above, then the scenario in Q4 is not covered in law and hence if the referee stops play, law 8 paragraph 2 becomes relevant

1557913135435.png
I must add, this question would be in the top 3 hardest questions in my quizzes so far :)

Great quiz, always good to try out the more challenging questions!

Of those I got wrong, the only one which is really confusing me is number 10. IFK is obviously right but how come Red not Yellow given the legitimate attempt to play the ball?

Great quiz, always good to try out the more challenging questions!

Of those I got wrong, the only one which is really confusing me is number 10. IFK is obviously right but how come Red not Yellow given the legitimate attempt to play the ball?

Because a PK was not awarded.

Reactions: one
Ok, makes sense, thank you, should have got to that myself!

Interesting though that it somewhat implies an IFK from 6 yards out is not seen as an OGSO ... as otherwise it would have been included as part of the triple jeopardy change

Question 6 is another question most quizzers got wrong. A variation was discussed in the thread Another quiz q and the answer to Q6 was given in post #24 there.

Ok, makes sense, thank you, should have got to that myself!

Interesting though that it somewhat implies an IFK from 6 yards out is not seen as an OGSO ... as otherwise it would have been included as part of the triple jeopardy change

Or it just wasn't part of the discussion because it is so incredibly rare. The triple punishment discussion was always about PK-Red-suspension.

Back