A&H

LAw question non deliberate Hand ball

C unless I'm missing something.

Mind you, I'm still processing why a non-deliberate handball which is "the result of a player attempting to play fairly" (from the IFAB explanation) should be a YC (which could be a second YC).

A&H International
I don't see the point of the OP question so much. It wasn't a trick question and something we all already knew 🤨

I see the point of the question to IFAB though. 3 cases (bullet points) in law 12 for for handling offences. One is clearly referred to as deliberate. But the other two do not explicitly mention non-deliberate. The question clarifies mentions in other parts of the law to non-deliberate handball offences refer to bullet points 2 and 3 when applicable.

I don't see the point of the OP question so much. It wasn't a trick question and something we all already knew 🤨

I see the point of the question to IFAB though. 3 cases (bullet points) in law 12 for for handling offences. One is clearly referred to as deliberate. But the other two do not explicitly mention non-deliberate. The question clarifies mentions in other parts of the law to non-deliberate handball offences refer to bullet points 2 and 3 when applicable.
There seems to have been an interpretation, certainly within England, that the non-deliberate clause added meant that any handling that denies a goal or OGSO should now be sanctioned, similar to any handling before a goal is scored by a player. It was that which lead me to writing and wording the question and I presume potentially what drove the OP.

There seems to have been an interpretation, certainly within England, that the non-deliberate clause added meant that any handling that denies a goal or OGSO should now be sanctioned, similar to any handling before a goal is scored by a player. It was that which lead me to writing and wording the question and I presume potentially what drove the OP.
I can see where that interpretation could have come from. But as I mention in my post at the top of the thread, all those classes clearly mention non-deliberate handling offence. With the keyword highlighted. If not an offence then the clause doesn't apply.

I can see where that interpretation could have come from. But as I mention in my post at the top of the thread, all those classes clearly mention non-deliberate handling offence. With the keyword highlighted. If not an offence then the clause doesn't apply.
You don't have to tell me. You can see from my exchange with IFAB that is also my interpretation. For DOG/DOGSO it must first be an offence, else if there is no offence there can be no punishment.

And the answer to the question "If a player attempting to play fairly, commits a non-deliberate handball offence outside the penalty area and denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, what does the referee do next?" is

The same as if he'd punched someone.

And the answer to the question "If a player attempting to play fairly, commits a non-deliberate handball offence outside the penalty area and denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, what does the referee do next?" is

Not necessarily. Depends who the "someone" is. ☺️

Exactly as if they carelessly tripped an opponent, denying them an OGSO, attempting to play fairly. From the defender's POV these situations always feel harsh. But if you're the attacker who has been denied an OGSO by an offence then you feel somewhat different :)

Exactly as if they carelessly tripped an opponent, denying them an OGSO, attempting to play fairly. From the defender's POV these situations always feel harsh. But if you're the attacker who has been denied an OGSO by an offence then you feel somewhat different :)
Not exactly the same. The careless trip is the result of a deliberate calculation, the handball is purely the result of a non-deliberate action.

That's because CORE have been told that any touch of hand/arm that denies a goal or goal scoring opportunity is an offence, not that it has to be a handball offence 1st.

Back