A&H

Law Changes 2022/2023

JamesL

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
Clarification that the referee tosses the coin along with the addition that a goalkeeper can't commit a dogso by handball offence in his own penalty area among the many lotg issues solved in this years edition!

Attachments

• Law Changes 2022_23_EN.pdf
    689.5 KB · Views: 123
The Referee Store
Refsupport 'succesful' in getting on field cameras added to the laws, and now highlighting coins for the toss. Edit: They wanted coins listed as compulsory equipment so will see if that occurs when the full laws are released..
Perhaps they could highlight something that would actually change the laws in a positive way.

No further mucking around with handball then, which is good, definitely needs a bit of time to bed in, making changes every year is not good for the game.

Reactions: one
Clarification that the referee tosses the coin along with the addition that a goalkeeper can't commit a dogso by handball offence in his own penalty area among the many lotg issues solved in this years edition!
Thank God they've further clarified the section governing what happens when someone enters or leaves the FOP (with or without the R's permission) to commit (or not commit) an offence against a person (or not a person) with the ball in play (or not, as the case may be)
FFS! IFAB are brilliant at satire

Oh great! No plumbers called Dwayne dropping my lucky, shiny 10p into the mud. Thanks IFAB!

No further mucking around with handball then, which is good, definitely needs a bit of time to bed in, making changes every year is not good for the game.
Agreed, I'm glad to see that we have a year with no fundamental changes.

goalkeeper can't commit a dogso by handball offence in his own penalty area
I thought there was no such thing as a handball offence by a goal keeper in his own penalty area. 🥴

I really can't get my head around the dogso one...
Just assume it's not there. An unnecessary addition. Simply keepers can't commit handball offence in own areas and by inference no DOGSO of it. I don't know if anyone ever sent off a keeper for deliberate handball DOGSO for ifab to dream up this clarification.

Last edited:
Law 14 is typical ifab. We write something but we want you to do something else. What is a referee to do if the keeper complied with the wording of law but not with the 'spirit' of it if a kick was saved?

I thought there was no such thing as a handball offence by a goal keeper in his own penalty area. 🥴

Just assume it's not there. An unnecessary addition. Simply keepers can't commit handball offence in own areas and by inference no DOGSO of it. I don't know if anyone ever sent off a keeper for deliberate handball DOGSO for ifab to dream up this clarification.
Cheers mate. Honestly thought I was going mad and really was missing the point 😅

Would've been better to say "no new law changes this year" and save these 'clarifications' for next year or never. Could've saved a lot of paper

Would've been better to say "no new law changes this year" and save these 'clarifications' for next year or never. Could've saved a lot of paper
It has always been the norm in World Cup years to only make cosmetic/minor changes as the implementation date was always within the World Cup competition dates. As the World Cup (if it takes place) is at the end of the year, an opportunity to do some tidying up.

Cheers mate. Honestly thought I was going mad and really was missing the point 😅
Are they not talking about a bad backpass that is saved by the keeper from going in? There is no sanction for that kind of hanball offence. (Nothing new, but maybe they clarified it)

that kind of hanball offence.
Except that what you described is not a handball offence. No kind of it at all.

As I explained it's fairly simple, keepers can't commit a handball offence in their own area and therefore no DOGSO can come of it. Don't read anything else into it or it can cause unintended confusion.

I already see this confusing some people and making something off it that it's not. They should have left this one alone.

Are they not talking about a bad backpass that is saved by the keeper from going in? There is no sanction for that kind of hanball offence. (Nothing new, but maybe they clarified it)
Which is already covered in law in that section about using hands when not allowed

It's all over the news. The larger country in Europe invading the second largest country in Europe :)
The war in Ukraine is indeed all over the news (as of course it should be). However I'm not aware of any reports indicating that the events unfolding there, as horrific as they are, put the staging of the Qatar 2022 World Cup in jeapordy.

I'm not saying that's necessarily the way it should be - and I was certainly never in favour of the World Cup being held there to start with, but as yet I've seen no indication that it's not going to take place because of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Just having a look at the one about the referee doing the coin toss. Sometimes at a game the referee will get a young mascot to do the actual toss which can be a nice thing to get them involved. My impression I get is that this would no longer be allowed though?

Back