A&H

Law 15 Throw Ins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing quite high level futsal where the throw in position tolerance is less than big football so I am extra sensitive to this... but here's the thing... what irks me when a throw is taken 12-15 yards further back than it should is that half the time it is not remotely innocent. The opposition have clustered around where the ball went out ready to press, so the thrower doesn't bother coming back to the correct place, avoids the pressure and takes the easy out e.g. by throwing to the unmarked GK. This is a bit easier to correct in futsal... (and of course it's an 8-10 yard problem rather than a 12-15)... but I think refs should be smart to it in big football.

If you are passive as a player defies the laws by taking a throw from blatantly the wrong place to avoid pressure, then yes, you are last week's ref.

This. And the complaint always is 'what does it matter if it's further back!'

Well.....if he wasn't getting a benefit out of it, he wouldn't have done it, would he?

It's really almost as bad as taking it further up the field.

The Referee Store
The law actually says: “throw the ball... from the point where the ball left the field of play.”

I think you are asking for trouble if you let someone take a throw from e.g. more than 5 yards.

First thing is: is she still on the pitch? Field of play is one thing... if there are ropes, barriers, obviously you can’t let someone take a throw from behind, I hope we agree on that? The answers above suggest anything goes, which I don’t agree with;)

We have this a lot as we have mostly artificial pitches that are only 2-4 (?) yards wider than the field of play. Taking a throw in from the concrete, running track, sand, or even worse, from up a bank, is a no-no. It’s not on the pitch and it’s unsporting.

But it’s how you manage it. At grassroots, look while someone’s retreiving the ball, if they start to throw from the concrete or next postcode, quick blow and remind them to get on the pitch first. That’ll be it for the whole game. No fuss. Carry on⚽

I’ve watched the carnage after a ref allowed a long throw leading to goal from a bank by the pitch (not me for once!).
Agreed!! I allow a little wiggle room but don’t allow an advantage to be gained as per your reccomendatiom. Thanks

As long as the ball enters the field of play where it exited (as per the LOTG), where they take it from makes no difference.
(Since the thread was dug up) the law seems to be the other way around. Where they 'thrown' from is important, where the ball enters the field is not (no mention in law).

1553045022823.png

Legally, it has to be thrown (the action of throwing) from the location adjacent to the touchline where it left the FOP. From both the length of FOP and width of FOP directions. As stated above (just like free kicks) depending where the TI is you allow some wiggle room.

So if you give them wiggle room to take it 2 yards away from the touchline (FOP width wise) where it left the FOP, the ball can land on the touchline 20 yards away and be a legal throw-in. This may raise some eyebrows and disagreements.

I suppose the changes for 2019/20 clarify that the throw-in can be taken a signifiant distance from the touch line as long as it enters somewhat near the point it left play.

• Law 15 – The Throw-in
    • 1. Procedure
      • Amended text All opponents must stand at least 2m (2 yds) from the point at which on the touchline where the throw-in is to be taken.
      • Explanation This covers situations where a player takes a throw-in some distance from the touchline.

I suppose the changes for 2019/20 clarify that the throw-in can be taken a signifiant distance from the touch line as long as it enters somewhat near the point it left play.

• Law 15 – The Throw-in
    • 1. Procedure
      • Amended text All opponents must stand at least 2m (2 yds) from the point at which on the touchline where the throw-in is to be taken.
      • Explanation This covers situations where a player takes a throw-in some distance from the touchline.
The amended text stays in the LOTG, the explanation is removed the following year. For me, the amended text re-enforces the fact that a legally taken throw in must be taken (the action of the throw) on or adjacent to the touchline, where the ball left the field of play. I don't see any implication of where the ball should enter. The explanation implies the referees should allow some wiggle room.

I think "some distance" here means "a little distance" and not "significant distance", but that is an 'insignificant' point :)

Last edited:
"All opponents must stand at least 2m (2 yds) from the point at which on the touchline where the throw-in is to be taken."
Is that English?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back