The Ref Stop

L'arbitre Blog - Nishimura Penalty Decision Body Language

• Thread starter Thread starter larbitre
  • Start date Start date
A well talked about incident but if you found this through Google, it’s very likely you will not find what you are looking for. This post does not focus on the accuracy of the decision.

Yuichi Nishimura (JAP) had the honour of officiating the opening match of the 2014 Brazil FIFA World Cup. I admired his officiating style throughout the match and one decision of his match was not forgotten. The penalty incident involving the Brazilian, Fred. Have a look.

I think it’s fair to say, point-blank, that this wasn’t a penalty. The yellow attacker falls with minimal contact and appeals. If you are wondering how this could have happened, see The Third Team’s explanation.

http://footballrefereeing.blogspot.ca/2014/06/why-nishimura-was-unable-to-take.html

If there is one thing Nishimura did well during this decision. It was his body language. Anyone who watches the referee alone will have no doubt that the referee looked like he knew what he was doing. Very fluid and very firm.

Almost a split second after the fall, the whistle went and the referee pointed to the spot for a penalty kick. As a crowd of Croatian players began to well together, Nishimura quickly ran around them towards the goal line. His eyes showed clear focus and a straight arm signal to the penalty mark left no doubt. He was awarding a penalty kick and it didn’t look like there would be any second thought about it.

As he crosses the goal line, he reaches into his pocket for the caution. Assumingly it was for the challenge. Regardless, it came out so fast and fluidly that I had to watch it at least five times before confirming he hadn’t conjured it with his hands and that it wasn’t actual magic.

Very decisive. Very firm.

All this may seem obvious but the mechanics and body language are an integral part of him selling the decision. Nevermind it being the wrong one, body language is very important and an excellent tool for referees to use. We use it all the time; sometimes negatively and sometimes positively.

b.gif

Continue reading...

The Ref Stop
Back