A&H

Knee pain relief

LM1996

Evening all

Did a line last Wednesday and in the 90th minute felt an excruciating pain in the left hand side of my left knee. Managed to hobble on and get through the final few minutes. It remained painful to walk on for the rest of the evening and into the next day.

The pain then went away until I ran last night. Same pain and same result in that I get the pain the next day.

Has anyone had anything similar? If so, how have you managed to cope with this? I’ve been using Voltarol which has certainly helped in the short term.

Got a line tomorrow night and 2 middles at the weekend with 6 more games in December and I’m determined not to miss any.

The Referee Store
Come off games immediately until you have had it checked out would be my advice. Knee pain is the one that you just don't ignore, I ignored knee pain after games and now I am extremely limited in what I can do. Can get away with refereeing once a week, but running for training is out and I'm likely to need a knee replacement at some point in my early to mid 50s.

Pain on the side of the knee is likely to be the medial or lateral ligament, you really want to get it looked at.

Yes. Get it looked at ASAP.
I was doing 3 to 4 games a weekend when I first started and I was hobbling through the last 3.
Never found out what it was, just cut my reffing down and it disappeared

Evening all

Did a line last Wednesday and in the 90th minute felt an excruciating pain in the left hand side of my left knee. Managed to hobble on and get through the final few minutes. It remained painful to walk on for the rest of the evening and into the next day.

The pain then went away until I ran last night. Same pain and same result in that I get the pain the next day.

Has anyone had anything similar? If so, how have you managed to cope with this? I’ve been using Voltarol which has certainly helped in the short term.

Got a line tomorrow night and 2 middles at the weekend with 6 more games in December and I’m determined not to miss any.
Sounds like lateral meniscus (minor radial tear) to me. Google it. Don't trust Dr. Big Cat

Sounds like lateral meniscus (minor radial tear) to me. Google it. Don't trust Dr. Big Cat
40c5bumqbufy.jpg

Quick update - spoke to my physio and she said it sounds like IT Band syndrome but can’t confirm until we have a face to face appointment.

Did 3 games last week and had no pain at all during the games. As soon as I went for a run on pavements/roads the pain came back…

Quick update - spoke to my physio and she said it sounds like IT Band syndrome but can’t confirm until we have a face to face appointment.

Did 3 games last week and had no pain at all during the games. As soon as I went for a run on pavements/roads the pain came back…
No easy answer when it comes to running when you don’t have a proper track available to you unfortunately but Pavement/road running is notorious for causing knee and general joint issues due to their being no give in the ground you’re running on. If you insist on doing it, rest your knee first until the pain stops as you’ll only make it worst, and invest in decent running shoes. Expensive yes but there’s a good reason why! You’ll notice the difference

The other option is switch to field running but this time of year, field running isn’t great due to the weather and even in good weather, the fact it’s not flat ground as additional risk for rolling ankles.

No easy answer when it comes to running when you don’t have a proper track available to you unfortunately but Pavement/road running is notorious for causing knee and general joint issues due to their being no give in the ground you’re running on. If you insist on doing it, rest your knee first until the pain stops as you’ll only make it worst, and invest in decent running shoes. Expensive yes but there’s a good reason why! You’ll notice the difference

The other option is switch to field running but this time of year, field running isn’t great due to the weather and even in good weather, the fact it’s not flat ground as additional risk for rolling ankles.

The best option by far for knee problems is cross trainer or cycling, and with the latter if you put the seat as high as possible it minimises the bend of the knee.

Additionally, make sure you get the right footwear for running on pavement and make especially sure you're using proper running technique.

Additionally, make sure you get the right footwear for running on pavement and make especially sure you're using proper running technique.
Absolutely! I’m seeing the physio on 11th Jan and then having my gait analysed on 21st Jan before buying some proper road running shoes

I used to have a lot of knee pain after games, solved it by putting Ironman gel inserts from decathlon into my boots. Not had a problem since

Absolutely! I’m seeing the physio on 11th Jan and then having my gait analysed on 21st Jan before buying some proper road running shoes

Yeah, your form will save your knees and ankles and legs and everything else if you get it right. Good for you.

The best option by far for knee problems is cross trainer or cycling, and with the latter if you put the seat as high as possible it minimises the bend of the knee.
To add to this, swimming is also a very good low impact alternative. Worked wonders for me when I was recovering from a minor knee injury.

To add to this, swimming is also a very good low impact alternative. Worked wonders for me when I was recovering from a minor knee injury.

As long as you don't use breast stroke, as that is the worst thing you can possibly do for most knee injuries. My physio called me a word I can't use on here when I told her I had been swimming breast stroke 🤷‍♂️

Back