A&H

Kit clash

Status
Not open for further replies.
A&H International
entire ref team has had a nightmare there if we’re being honest. Even at the last minute they would have had them all lined up stood next to each other before walking them onto the pitch, how does nobody notice they are in identical colours

Unless there's been an error with Truro's details on confirmation/team sheets as they recently changed home shirt colour, it's some miss.

Fair enough to these comments but to bear in mind, that the clubs have somehow made a huge error in not sorting this out before the day. The Referee/Assistants may not have picked up on it until the exchange of team sheets at 2pm and by this time there may not have been any chance of either team being able to get hold of different coloured kit especially Away. So, in order for the game to be played the Referee was faced with attempting to play the game with only the small amount of difference between the 2, or as occurred after 4 mins into the game, for one team - presumably Away to turn their shirts inside out (it was fortunate that it was white and not the same red on both sides). This does cause challenges without numbers being clearly seen, but better than it was. So, although perhaps that’s how the Referee should have started, she did give his original option a chance. As to goalkeepers being in similar but perhaps not the same green, that was the least of the Referee’s concerns and the Laws of the Game allows this to happen if there is no different shirt available etc.

Last edited:
Fair enough to these comments but to bear in mind, that the clubs have somehow made a huge error in not sorting this out before the day. The Referee/Assistants may not have picked up on it until the exchange of team sheets at 2pm and by this time there may not have been any chance of either team being able to get hold of different coloured kit especially Away. So, in order for the game to be played the Referee was faced with attempting to play the game with only the small amount of difference between the 2, or as occurred after 4 mins into the game, for one team - presumably Away to turn their shirts inside out (it was fortunate that it was white and not the same red on both sides). This does cause challenges without numbers being clearly seen, but better than it was. So, although perhaps that’s how the Referee should have started, she did give his original option a chance. As to goalkeepers being in similar but perhaps not the same green, that was the least of the Referee’s concerns and the Laws of the Game allows this to happen if there is no different shirt available etc.
I think you are perhaps being a little generous there. This isn't grass roots, it is senior level football and if the home team didn't have their away kit with them at the ground they certainly would have had it at the training ground. This might have been a problem in previous seasons when they were playing hundreds of miles from Truro, but not now that they play and train in Truro. The officials have obviously just not realised from the team sheets that red and orange might be a problem, and that the shorts and socks were the same colour.

Perhaps a bit generous but I am also perfectly aware of the level of football the game was played at, especially when a decent percentage of teams in NL North & South are full time. However, don’t you think that if spare kit was available at the training ground when known at least 1 hour before kick off then that’s what would have happened, even if there was a slightly delayed kick off! The Referee would have been perfectly aware at exchange of team sheets there was a colour clash. However, we don’t know what went on behind the scenes. Although people are quick to offer there moans and groans I haven’t seen anyone come up with a solution as to what they would have done if faced with the same challenge.

Consider the number of different strips teams put out as well, and they still managed the clash.

It wouldn't even have looked better on black and white TV!

The number of occasions there is any kit clash at this level of football is very rare and indeed should never happen. However, something has gone horribly wrong on this occasion between the clubs - where certainly one or perhaps both have fallen down somewhere in the level of communication in the lead up to the game.

I think it’s quite a big mistake for all involved. As @RustyRef has said above, this isn’t grassroots, this is a senior football game, and a small mistake like this before the game even kicking off does not set a good precedent.

I did hear that apparently Truro have changed their kit since last year, not sure how true that is.

Both have changed their kit. Last season Truro played in white & Dorkings away kit was white. In fact Dorking Home kit was Red & White stripes last season, but looks like they have changed it to a predominantly just red this season. So on the face of it, it can be seen how the error has occurred but as we all know kits change as quickly as nappies. There should be no assumptions as to what happened last season - it should all be on the hear and now.

Perhaps a bit generous but I am also perfectly aware of the level of football the game was played at, especially when a decent percentage of teams in NL North & South are full time. However, don’t you think that if spare kit was available at the training ground when known at least 1 hour before kick off then that’s what would have happened, even if there was a slightly delayed kick off! The Referee would have been perfectly aware at exchange of team sheets there was a colour clash. However, we don’t know what went on behind the scenes. Although people are quick to offer there moans and groans I haven’t seen anyone come up with a solution as to what they would have done if faced with the same challenge.
I suspect the penny just didn't drop when they saw the team sheets, and the first time they realised there was a problem was in the tunnel. Otherwise why did Dorking only turn their shirts inside out after the game had started, surely that would have been sorted out before the game if it had been known there was a kit clash?

Also I'm pretty sure that Truro's new ground also hosts their training ground, so it is infeasible that they didn't have an alternative kit available even if Dorking didn't.

I suspect the penny just didn't drop when they saw the team sheets, and the first time they realised there was a problem was in the tunnel. Otherwise why did Dorking only turn their shirts inside out after the game had started, surely that would have been sorted out before the game if it had been known there was a kit clash?

Also I'm pretty sure that Truro's new ground also hosts their training ground, so it is infeasible that they didn't have an alternative kit available even if Dorking didn't.
I have a completely different view. There is no way that if there was a different kit available they wouldn’t have delayed kick off to use it. Also, the first thing any Referee does when they get the team sheets is to look for potential colour clash - so if they both said red and red or orange & orange or even red & orange alarm bells would have been ringing. Let’s assume for whatever reason no other change of kit could be obtained. The dilemma the Referee had was weather to allow the game to start, whether to allow the teams to play in predominantly the same coloured kit but with some subtle differences to the chest & sleeve area or to have one team turn their shirts inside out (which fortunately for at least one team, was a different colour rather than them usually being the same). So if the latter to start, then at any misconduct or mass confrontations identification of the offender(s) is likely to be challenging. On the other hand for the former if players can’t tell who they are passing to then this is also a problem, as it would be for supporters. So, which is the most important - kit or identifying potential offenders.

I did hear that apparently Truro have changed their kit since last year, not sure how true that is.
That is true. They have been playing in white as the white tigers until this season where they have gone back to their traditional red and black.

Not yet it doesnt. There are plans for it to be a complex but currently it is just the stadium. Naturally, that was prioritised.

so the question here is, assuming no other kits were available, are you letting the game go ahead in the way it did?

I have a completely different view. There is no way that if there was a different kit available they wouldn’t have delayed kick off to use it. Also, the first thing any Referee does when they get the team sheets is to look for potential colour clash - so if they both said red and red or orange & orange or even red & orange alarm bells would have been ringing. Let’s assume for whatever reason no other change of kit could be obtained. The dilemma the Referee had was weather to allow the game to start, whether to allow the teams to play in predominantly the same coloured kit but with some subtle differences to the chest & sleeve area or to have one team turn their shirts inside out (which fortunately for at least one team, was a different colour rather than them usually being the same). So if the latter to start, then at any misconduct or mass confrontations identification of the offender(s) is likely to be challenging. On the other hand for the former if players can’t tell who they are passing to then this is also a problem, as it would be for supporters. So, which is the most important - kit or identifying potential offenders.
I've been involved in plenty of senior games where the referee pays scant regard to the colours, as long as they aren't written down the same they'd assumed it would be OK. I remember one game where the team sheets said home team were red & white stripes and away team blue and white stripes, but unfortunately both had all white backs and sleeves and we only realised in the tunnel. I've also seen a referee assume blue and purple would be OK, and it most certainly wasn't. Plus red and orange could be OK, if the red was a darker shade and the orange brighter like Luton's kit you'd probably get away with it, but if I saw red and orange I'd at a minimum be asking both shirts to be brought in to have a look at them side by side..

The bit I just can't understand is if they checked and knew there was a major problem, why not start the game with Dorking's shirts reversed instead of start with a known problem? It just doesn't make any sense.

so the question here is, assuming no other kits were available, are you letting the game go ahead in the way it did?
That’s a fair and reasonable question, and since I don’t know all the circumstances as to what went behind the scenes I politely wave my right to provide my thoughts. However, very importantly, the game was correctly played to a finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back