A&H

Kit clash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still believe, if I bet all forum users £1,000 to get your hands on a football kit within 60 minutes, most in UK could do it. A few calls & a friend of a friend would find a Sunday morning kit in someone’s boot or garage 👍

A&H International
The clubs have a responsibility to make sure they liaise that there is no kit clash.

However, that has nothing to do with us as referees.

This game started and continued for 10 minutes.

If you're stood about to blow the whistle and you don't go "everyone is in red", well... there is NO excuse.

The clubs have a responsibility to make sure they liaise that there is no kit clash.

However, that has nothing to do with us as referees.

This game started and continued for 10 minutes.

If you're stood about to blow the whistle and you don't go "everyone is in red", well... there is NO excuse.
4 mins for the Truro v Dorking game & you may find there was more to it than meets the eye (no pun intended) & covered in previous posts including by me.

4 mins for the Truro v Dorking game & you may find there was more to it than meets the eye (no pun intended) & covered in previous posts including by me.
If they're wearing those colours and the referee puts the whistle to their lip and starts the game then that's on them. Last line of defence is yourself.

If they're wearing those colours and the referee puts the whistle to their lip and starts the game then that's on them. Last line of defence is yourself.
I hope you remember what you said if same situations happens to you in a similar situation at the same level of football.

I hope you remember what you said if same situations happens to you in a similar situation at the same level of football.
I wouldn’t make this error. This isn’t “the referee is ****, what are they doing blah blah”. They’re at fault, it’s their responsibility to make sure kits don’t clash and their obligation to not start play if they do. I don’t know why you’re so hell bent on defending it.

Definitely a sunk loss fallacy for the ref.

If you watch the full episode on YouTube, you can see a lot went wrong in the build up. Ref should have taken control, but didn't.

Then when she arrived at the ground she should have asked for an inspection of the kits. But I guarantee she probably asked them to change but they would have said they don't have different kits.

So at that point, she already in for a penny. If she cancels now, her admin will be under scrutiny.

So the red and black kit, starts looking like a vibrant red with a lot of black against a pinkie red, and those numbers start looking very contrasty. The shorts start looking very different and so on. Trying to save herself I reckon.

Disaster.

I wouldn’t make this error. This isn’t “the referee is ****, what are they doing blah blah”. They’re at fault, it’s their responsibility to make sure kits don’t clash and their obligation to not start play if they do. I don’t know why you’re so hell bent on defending it.
There is a definite issue so I am not saying I am defending it. What I am saying is that there are many comments about what was wrong about it etc etc etc, but not many have said what they would have done in the same situation, taking into account that the Referee is perhaps likely (not 100% definite) to have not known about the clash until the delivery of team sheets 1 hour before kick off (perhaps earlier upon arrival at the ground, but let’s say no later than 1 hour before kick off) - what exactly would you have done, what options do you think you may have had & why you would have chosen the option you have opted for?

There is a definite issue so I am not saying I am defending it. What I am saying is that there are many comments about what was wrong about it etc etc etc, but not many have said what they would have done in the same situation, taking into account that the Referee is perhaps likely (not 100% definite) to have not known about the clash until the delivery of team sheets 1 hour before kick off (perhaps earlier upon arrival at the ground, but let’s say no later than 1 hour before kick off) - what exactly would you have done, what options do you think you may have had & why you would have chosen the option you have opted for?
For me it’s really easy. The second you find out the kits are the same colour you tell both teams that you’re not starting the game until they’re wearing different colours from each other.

And yes that’s a tough decision to make but that’s our job. If I’ve messed up prior to getting to the stadium in any way then I would never double down on that mistake.

The options are to change one or the kits, or don’t play the game.

At that level it’s not just about getting the game played like it would be on a Sunday at 10:30. There are paying fans who deserve better than to watch a game where they can’t tell who their own team is.

For me it’s really easy. The second you find out the kits are the same colour you tell both teams that you’re not starting the game until they’re wearing different colours from each other.

And yes that’s a tough decision to make but that’s our job. If I’ve messed up prior to getting to the stadium in any way then I would never double down on that mistake.

The options are to change one or the kits, or don’t play the game.

At that level it’s not just about getting the game played like it would be on a Sunday at 10:30. There are paying fans who deserve better than to watch a game where they can’t tell who their own team is.
I am afraid on this occasion you have it the wrong way around-it’s the best course of action to inform players on a Sunday morning at 10.30 that unless at least one kit is changed then the game will not be played. They will be angry/frustrated, but most perhaps have not had far to travel and can be rearranged perhaps with a double header if it’s a league game and haven’t played each other already. In the National League game they can be threatened with the same words but only if it’s a non enforceable threat, which it has to be, because you cannot be serious to say that you would postpone a game because of a clash of kits having travelled 600 miles round trip - plus their supporters being at the ground and for all of it to happen again with a midweek kick off. The amount of cost/trouble that would cause is almost unthinkable.

I am afraid on this occasion you have it the wrong way around-it’s the best course of action to inform players on a Sunday morning at 10.30 that unless at least one kit is changed then the game will not be played. They will be angry/frustrated, but most perhaps have not had far to travel and can be rearranged perhaps with a double header if it’s a league game and haven’t played each other already. In the National League game they can be threatened with the same words but only if it’s a non enforceable threat, which it has to be, because you cannot be serious to say that you would postpone a game because of a clash of kits having travelled 600 miles round trip - plus their supporters being at the ground and for all of it to happen again with a midweek kick off. The amount of cost/trouble that would cause is almost unthinkable.
You 100% have to postpone the game if there’s a kit clash. I’m not starting the game, ever, period with this exact kit clash.

You talk about cost, the thought of one of the teams being relegated our not being promoted because of this incident is also unthinkable.

Sunday league you can try and make something work, wear bibs etc. I’ve worn a bib myself when refereeing because one team thought a black kit was acceptable as their only kit on the day.

But if you’re playing semi professional football, with fans and you’re not postponing the game for that kit clash then frankly you shouldn’t be in that position of power to begin with because you’re clearly not strong enough to make big decisions.

just watched the YouTube footage on bunch of amateurs and looks like the issue was with Truro changing kit and Dorking secretary using google to find out what colour they played in as the league handbook hadn’t been delivered yet. He saw they played in black and white last year however they have swapped to red and black which has been stated elsewhere.

Looks like a collection of mistakes/errors from a few. However, having run a Sunday league team, I find it crazy a team would travel that far with only one kit. Even if we got a county cup fixture away, usually a 60-80 mile round trip, we’d always travel with 2 just in case the home team swapped or had any issue. Doubt they’ll make that mistake again

You 100% have to postpone the game if there’s a kit clash. I’m not starting the game, ever, period with this exact kit clash.

You talk about cost, the thought of one of the teams being relegated our not being promoted because of this incident is also unthinkable.

Sunday league you can try and make something work, wear bibs etc. I’ve worn a bib myself when refereeing because one team thought a black kit was acceptable as their only kit on the day.

But if you’re playing semi professional football, with fans and you’re not postponing the game for that kit clash then frankly you shouldn’t be in that position of power to begin with because you’re clearly not strong enough to make big decisions.
I admire your passion and you have presented your case very well & even though I have not seen you perform, you come across as having some very good qualities that could take you a long way for all the right reasons. However, what you do not yet have is experience and you are sure to find that as you progress up the ladder, things are not so black and white and to a certain degree, nor should they be. As an example, despite the colour clash, do you think the Referee would have played the game if both or even one team objected. The thing here is that there was not a promotion or relegation issue and although there may have been some unease about starting the game as they did, I can assure you that both teams wanted to play the game for reasons already mentioned. So in your black and white world you would not have played the game and despite you saying you would have made the strong decision to postpone, then I am sure that as night turns into day, you would still be dealing with matters pertaining to your decision to this day, be it from the clubs themselves, the league and/or the FA. At the end of the day the game was played with no other main issues.

I admire your passion and you have presented your case very well & even though I have not seen you perform, you come across as having some very good qualities that could take you a long way for all the right reasons. However, what you do not yet have is experience and you are sure to find that as you progress up the ladder, things are not so black and white and to a certain degree, nor should they be. As an example, despite the colour clash, do you think the Referee would have played the game if both or even one team objected. The thing here is that there was not a promotion or relegation issue and although there may have been some unease about starting the game as they did, I can assure you that both teams wanted to play the game for reasons already mentioned. So in your black and white world you would not have played the game and despite you saying you would have made the strong decision to postpone, then I am sure that as night turns into day, you would still be dealing with matters pertaining to your decision to this day, be it from the clubs themselves, the league and/or the FA. At the end of the day the game was played with no other main issues.
I appreciate I haven’t been in this exact situation.

But frankly I don’t care what the teams want. I’ve been told from day one, and have done this on Saturday and Sunday leagues for 15 years now. If the game shouldn’t go ahead, the game doesn’t go ahead. The teams may want it to, but that’s not my problem.
The same as if they want a foul that isn’t a foul, I won’t give it.

The best way this incident should be described is a comedy of errors.

And the ref will learn from it. We’ve all got incidents in our ‘careers’ that mean we do certain things other refs wouldn’t to make sure we don’t repeat our own mistakes.

I have actually just watched the full video on YouTube and neither team wanted to play and the ref decided that they had to play anyway.

I have actually just watched the full video on YouTube and neither team wanted to play and the ref decided that they had to play anyway.
So let me get this straight - you consider that the Referee was not strong enough in postponing the game because of a kit clash and yet she must have been very strong to play the game if both teams didn’t and that includes some very strong characters, especially from Away - that just doesn’t make any sense at all. In any event - you’ve been told from day one and been doing it for 15 years. You may have been, but that was at the time you were a L7 or perhaps youth football etc. Things change as you move up the ladder.

So let me get this straight - you consider that the Referee was not strong enough in postponing the game because of a kit clash and yet she must have been very strong to play the game if both teams didn’t and that includes some very strong characters, especially from Away. In any event, - you’ve been told from day one and been doing it for 15 years. You may have been, but that was at the time you were a L7 or perhaps youth football etc. Things change as you move up the ladder.

This game should never have kicked off. Simple as that
The blame game is quite complicated. There was genuine misunderstanding and confusion between the Club Secretaries and a very complex explanation as to how the two sides turned up in the same colours, but once they did, the refereeing team compounded the controversy and embarrassment by allowing a ball to be kicked. There's a lengthy TikTok clip which shows the discussions with the Referee before the game and it does not reflect well on her unfortunately

This game should never have kicked off. Simple as that
The blame game is quite complicated. There was genuine misunderstanding and confusion between the Club Secretaries and a very complex explanation as to how the two sides turned up in the same colours, but once they did, the Refereeing Team compounded the controversy and embarrassment by allowing a ball to be kicked. There's a lengthy TikTok clip which shows the discussions with the Referee and it does not reflect well on her unfortuantely
I agree with your history as to how it went down etc, but we will have to agree to disagree about the eventual outcome.

I agree with your history as to how it went down etc, but we will have to agree to disagree about the eventual outcome.
Ultimately, it was one of the Captain's who thought of the solution
If a solution was not found, the game must be abandoned. Either way, it should not have kicked off as that was madness
I would expect the referee to be reclassified off the back of the observer report because the margins are tight
That would surely be the expectation even though it won't come to fruition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back