A&H

Keeper you ready?

The Referee Store
Just use the whistle.
For me, it depends. Sometimes a verbal notice before the whistle is needed, as players have lost focus and aren't aware and we don't want anyone surprised, especially in the era of non-contested DBs where something can happen quickly. But, of course, always a whistle before the drop.

Just use the whistle.

There, fixed it for you 😊

For me, it depends. Sometimes a verbal notice before the whistle is needed, as players have lost focus and aren't aware and we don't want anyone surprised, especially in the era of non-contested DBs where something can happen quickly. But, of course, always a whistle before the drop.

Have I missed something....

The whistle is NOT needed to:
• stop play for a clear:
• goal kick, corner kick, throw-in or goal
• restart play from:
• most free kicks, and a goal kick, corner kick, throw-in or dropped ball

Have I missed something....

The whistle is NOT needed to:
• stop play for a clear:
• goal kick, corner kick, throw-in or goal
• restart play from:
• most free kicks, and a goal kick, corner kick, throw-in or dropped ball
Unless of course an injury... Which is another contradiction.

It's not a contradiction though (like many things in the Laws) it could be more clear.

The whistle is not needed because of the DB, but is needed because of the injury (regardless of what the restart might be).

Reactions: one
At youth level, I always give a shout to the keepers and Club ARs. Gives me an excuse to use the CARs name... hopefully they're impressed that I've remembered their names!!

To add to @socal lurker's post, if the ball goes out for a throw in. You see a player on the ground (or already seen but not serious to stop play), you hold restart for assessment/treatment. Before you restart you must use the whistle even though a TI does not need a whistle.

Had the law said a whistle must not be used for dropped ball then we would have a contradiction. Is not needed doesn't mean you can't use it.

Another thing to add, the whistle for dropped ball after injury is so very often used wrongly. In almost every case I see the whistle is blown as the ball is dropped. This complies with the law without knowing what it is for. In practice there is no point blowing the whistle when the ball is being dropped. Once injury management is complete and 'you' are ready to go, you blow the whistle loud so that everyone knows they should be ready to go. Then you give them a little time to get in position.

Another thing to add, the whistle for dropped ball after injury is so very often used wrongly. In almost every case I see the whistle is blown as the ball is dropped. This complies with the law without knowing what it is for. In practice there is no point blowing the whistle when the ball is being dropped. Once injury management is complete and 'you' are ready to go, you blow the whistle loud so that everyone knows they should be ready to go. Then you give them a little time to get in position.

or worse yet, which I’ve seen a number of times, blowing the whistle after the ball touches the ground ….

What does football expect?
Check with the Gks and officials before halves kick off.

Strangely the futsal laws said basically don’t check with GKs before kick off but everyone does anyway;)

I do for recreational clubs. They are there having fun.

Competitive games? No.

Just check both teams have their players and the keepers aren't still adjusting their gloves.

Its kind of like substitutes. Do you show the same consideration by delaying the start so the player is in position?

I've seen refs whistle as soon as a player steps on as they're tired of the 'walkers'.

Its kind of like substitutes. Do you show the same consideration by delaying the start so the player is in position?

I've seen refs whistle as soon as a player steps on as they're tired of the 'walkers'.
Seen this backfire massively when a ref did this at a corner. 4 subs made at once and ref blew for player to take the corner 😂

I don't really care what the book says cos half of it is unintended anyway. Sometimes a whistle is helpful to restart with a DB, therefore I'll use it when necessary
No surprises, central aspect of refereeing

Last edited:
I don't really care what the book says cos half of it is unintended anyway. Sometimes a whistle is helpful to restart with a DB, therefore I'll use it when necessary
No surprises, central aspect of refereeing

Again, you're harshing on the LOTG without actually paying attention to what it says. It never says a whistle isn't allowed, it only says that a whistle is not required for most restarts. So of course it's OK for the R to use a whistle any time he believes it would be appropriate. But the good book also says that a whistle is required when certain things have preceded the restart--like injuries, subs, and cards, which are the very reasons we would most likely need to be sure everyone knows there is a restart. The ongoing diatribe against the Laws gets a bit tiresome. Sure, the Laws have plenty of flaws--indeed enough that you don't have to make up ones that aren't there.

What does football expect?
Check with the Gks and officials before halves kick off.

Strangely the futsal laws said basically don’t check with GKs before kick off but everyone does anyway;)
Yeah, exactly. I don't see why anyone would oppose doing this - it takes 10 seconds, it happens before you start the game clock (so you're not wasting game time), and even if it's only once in a million matches, you really don't want a goal to be scored direct from KO because the keeper isn't ready. That's your match control gone before you've had a chance to leave the centre circle.

If it’s in my interest to do so yes. Typically that’s at an attacking restart and it’s a defending team change.

Otherwise the team making the change tend to hold their restart until the player is in the general vicinity of where they’re supposed to be.

If it’s in my interest to do so yes. Typically that’s at an attacking restart and it’s a defending team change.

Otherwise the team making the change tend to hold their restart until the player is in the general vicinity of where they’re supposed to be.
I tend to wait for subs to get back into position.
But sometimes that's more for me to catch my own breath lol.
But something I have done in the past is when a player is dragging their heels walking off the pitch I've restarted when they're yards on the pitch. I've been questioned once or twice and my remark is your player took long time to go off, go ask why he didn't rush. I've a game to have played.
Yes I could caution them, and have done, especially when they won't go off nearest exit despite me asking.

Again, you're harshing on the LOTG without actually paying attention to what it says. It never says a whistle isn't allowed, it only says that a whistle is not required for most restarts. So of course it's OK for the R to use a whistle any time he believes it would be appropriate. But the good book also says that a whistle is required when certain things have preceded the restart--like injuries, subs, and cards, which are the very reasons we would most likely need to be sure everyone knows there is a restart. The ongoing diatribe against the Laws gets a bit tiresome. Sure, the Laws have plenty of flaws--indeed enough that you don't have to make up ones that aren't there.
The point I was making was based on reading another in-depth analysis of contradictory text. It's that level of interpretation which I no longer bother with because it's clearly unintended drivel by IFAB. Why shouldn't I be able to express that view? Is it because it infringes upon your 'worshipping' of the same book? I don't understand your fascination with detail that means nothing. What you've haven't understood, is that I'm merely saying that I don't worry about this unintended level of detail in my games, which I'm entitled to point out

Last edited:
I would say that is pretty much mandatory, you can't rely on the clubs making sure they have the right number of players.
Always without fail. Always make myself chuckle when I have sin binned someone just before half time and remember after counting 10 about 5 times… then the lightbulb moment happens!!

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has confused themselves like this?

Always without fail. Always make myself chuckle when I have sin binned someone just before half time and remember after counting 10 about 5 times… then the lightbulb moment happens!!

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has confused themselves like this?

In my early days I sent a keeper off for DOGSO early in the game, then at the start of the second half only counted 10 and asked them where their 11th player was. "Err, you ***ing sent him off ref". Not my finest moment 😩

Back