A&H

Keeper you ready?

Joshref

Do you bother with this?

For me, checking with keeper before each kick off (only HT and pre match) is something I’ve grown up with, and happens in every game I have played in, both youth and OA. I’ve done it in every game I’ve reffed as well, for no specific reason other than the fact I see it happen all the time, wasn’t mentioned in the course or by my mentor or anyone.

Had an U13 game earlier in season where I did it pre match and away keeper had a very slow and confused response. After match away manager remarked he hadn’t seen that ever happen before. Now they’re pushing the boundaries to be in the league in terms of distance, and are closer to about 3 other counties than the one where the league occurs, so I wondered if it was a regional thing. Always assumed it was a standard English thing.

But I mean, you don’t see it weekly in the Prem do you? Do you guys do “keeper are you ready” shouts before the match or do you not bother?

The Referee Store
I used to but stopped long ago. I'll look at each GK to be sure they are there before I start. You can tell if the keeper is ready or hustle him along if needed. (I also always work with ARs--the AR should be sure that his end, including the GK, is ready before confirming to the R that the AR is ready.)

But I mean, you don’t see it weekly in the Prem do you? Do you guys do “keeper are you ready” shouts before the match or do you not bother?

I do at the start of each half. Simply because it buys me a bit of goodwill, especially if they’ve changed ends as they’ve got the furthest to go.

It also covers my backside in case of an immediate shot from kick off. If I haven’t checked and it goes in, I’m going to get earache. If I’ve checked, keeper acknowledges and flubs it, it’s all on them.

Those shots are rare, usually attempted after a team has conceded, and even more rarely on target. My mindset here is why take the risk?

And to follow on from the point above, this is especially useful when we’re out on our own which is the majority of the time. We can’t rely on a colleague to check for us but it helps you sell you appearing to be being aware of what’s going on.

Huge no no for me. Keeper ready? In interests of fairness, you now have to make sure the left back and right winger are ready.

Think about it , if you are doing this pre kick off and half time......why are you not doing it following a goal?

Check you have the required number of players, make sure you have a gk, if he adjusting his gloves etc, yes, i can understand holding off the whistle a bit.

by shouting, keeper ready, you in reality are differing the control of when the game starts to the gk. Gk shouts bk, ' no'. What next?

i would reverse the above also, if its 3pm, you have visually seen you have a gk who, to you. is ready, why are we denying the attacking team a valid attempt on goal because a gk is not sure where he wants to stand?

so, yes, interested on thoughts as to why ' keepers ready?' at ko of match, but, not at restart from a goal.

never been on a top flight game where its been done and been 20 years since I did it.

the special conditioms a gk has are they can use their hands in the pen area. Not that we touch base with them pre kick off.

as ever, regional variations may apply and if it works for folk, great.

Always have always will. Standard accepted practise at all levels of the game. Causes no problems - solves a potential poostorm.

Likewise. I do it in a circle, check keeper, check AR1, check other keeper, check AR2, kick off. It just works, doesn't cause any kind of issues, is universally recognised, so I'm struggling to see why anyone wouldn't do it.

Likewise. I do it in a circle, check keeper, check AR1, check other keeper, check AR2, kick off. It just works, doesn't cause any kind of issues, is universally recognised, so I'm struggling to see why anyone wouldn't do it.
While I agree the R should check the ARs and GKs, that doesn't necessarily mean calling out to them. But if it is expected where you are, it makes sense to meet expectations.

I only do it in youth football, and only up until u16s. Personally I find younger ones are more prone to not realising we're about to start compared to outfield players - don't know why. Think it's more down to the amount of times I'm calling on them. I've even had players yell at the keeper because they weren't listening. For me, it is the first sign of match control.
Plus, if I'm shouting to the keeper, and he can hear me, I am expecting every other player to have heard me (and yes, I do know some players may have a hearing issue).
As they get older, I'm now expecting them to be more "adult" about the fact they're about to play. I'll glance, but not shout.

Someone said about why not doing it after goals.
For me, keepers are now fully aware we're in the game. They don't need letting known the game has started. Again, I'll glance, ensure players in correct half for restart and ensure no player is down hurt/sub wanting to be made etc but game is in full swing now, they don't need to be asked.

Always do visual check for both keepers being aware we are just about to take kick off. Then do visual check with both ARs and expect a confirm signal from them (nod, thumbs up...). Never call out.

On a different but similar topic, does anyone count players on the field before kick off?

I do it and as you're shouting to each keeper, its a good way of letting everyone on the pitch and side know the game is about to start. It gives people an opportunity to ask me to hold up for a few seconds while they tie laces etc.

I do it and as you're shouting to each keeper, its a good way of letting everyone on the pitch and side know the game is about to start. It gives people an opportunity to ask me to hold up for a few seconds while they tie laces etc.

Exactly this. It's not just a signal to the keepers, but since they are the furthest from you if they can hear you everyone can. Everyone knows you're about to start, or if they don't it's entirely their fault.

I've always done it and never had anyone question it.

Always have done it and never assumed anyone else didn't.

Covers your backside if the worst should happen and gets your voice out there.

I don't know why anyone would question this though.

Whilst @Anubis asserts this doesn't happen in the top level of his country have seen it happen in PL all the time and below.
Just a standard accepted convention for whatever reason. As I said no issues doing it, potential poostorm if not particularly if its expected, which, apart from games the aforementioned poster is reffing, it is 😊

On a different but similar topic, does anyone count players on the field before kick off?
Definitely. But never with a finger pointing at them.

Whilst @Anubis asserts this doesn't happen in the top level of his country have seen it happen in PL all the time and below.
Just a standard accepted convention for whatever reason. As I said no issues doing it, potential poostorm if not particularly if its expected, which, apart from games the aforementioned poster is reffing, it is 😊

I don't recall ever seeing it in an international game or an MLS game. And it is no longer common where I am--there are a few who do it, but they are the exception. But if it's a local expectation, it hardly seems a big deal.

have seen it happen in PL all the time
This got me curious because I have never seen it. I even went and checked the last five or six fixture replays and nothing. May have been something to do with taking the knee changing their routine but that has been going on for quite a while now.

This got me curious because I have never seen it. I even went and checked the last five or six fixture replays and nothing. May have been something to do with taking the knee changing their routine but that has been going on for quite a while now.
Think you might be right re: the knee thing has perhaps removed any need for it. I do recall this exact Conversation came up not so long back and I recall seeing it post that.

In a similar fashion, if I stop the game for a serious/head injury or other reason that results in a break of 60+ seconds and the restart is a dropped ball, when I restart I give a loud shout for everyone to be ready.

Back