A&H

Keeper you ready?

The point I was making was based on reading another in-depth analysis of contradictory text. It's that level of interpretation which I no longer bother with because it's clearly unintended drivel by IFAB. Why shouldn't I be able to express that view? Is it because it infringes upon your 'worshipping' of the same book? I don't understand your fascination with detail that means nothing. What you've haven't understood, is that I'm merely saying that I don't worry about this unintended level of detail in my games, which I'm entitled to point out
What I do understand is that your reading comprehension is pretty limited If you think I worship the book, as I continuously point out places where it isn’t we’ll written but don’t let that interfere with your petty rants, which seem to have completely overwhelmed the contributions that kept you off my ignore list. Let’s just ignore one another and be done with it.

The Referee Store
that kept you off my ignore list
I like rattling cages. Well, some cages at least. Happy to have achieved that on this occasion, although it was unintended as I wasn't targeting you as such

I'm a bit bored of the Forum TBH. Many interesting characters have vacated and maybe I can't learn much more from posting. Bit like I'm tired of all the cheating, VAR, shameful instruction the top Referees work under, crap book and the impact of foreign influence and money on the game
At least The Championship remains relatively unspoiled, along with the EFL and pyramid football. Even there, it's arguably slipping
I'm taking the best aspects of the Refs I'm meeting and improving/enjoying my game. I suppose this last thing is all that counts
Don't get personal though; I'm hardly likely to give a monkeys about your 'ignore list' 🤓

Last edited:
I do for recreational clubs. They are there having fun.

Competitive games? No.

Just check both teams have their players and the keepers aren't still adjusting their gloves.

Its kind of like substitutes. Do you show the same consideration by delaying the start so the player is in position?

I've seen refs whistle as soon as a player steps on as they're tired of the 'walkers'.
I do if its a defender being replaced and there is an attacking free kick or a corner about to be taken.

At most of the EFL games I've seen live referees allow subs into 'position' before restarting.

Seems an easy 'win' to me & avoids annoying someone unnecessarily.

Actually, I also do it on direct free kicks near goal. I mark the distance and tell the defenders to check with their keeper. As soon as I do, I move away slowly and ask the keeper is he happy. If I don't get an almost immediate yes, I tell him I'm about to blow the whistle. It doesn't cost any time and keeps you onside with the players.
These are youth games.
(of course if attacker wants a quick free kick, no problems with that)

Actually, I also do it on direct free kicks near goal. I mark the distance and tell the defenders to check with their keeper. As soon as I do, I move away slowly and ask the keeper is he happy. If I don't get an almost immediate yes, I tell him I'm about to blow the whistle. It doesn't cost any time and keeps you onside with the players.
These are youth games.
(of course if attacker wants a quick free kick, no problems with that)
do you do that with corners and say, a long throw?

I have never in all my years heard of this practise, disclaimer, am in no way judging the rectitude of the procedure but this is new.

when setting up a ceremonial direct hit, getting wall back etc, I do glance at gk, is he somewhere where you would expect him to be but, penalising the defender is intended to give a reward to the attacker, thats the whole purpose of the orignal free kick. To then basically give the gk an undeserved benefit is surely diluting the impact of the original call.

i cannot recall ever hearing of asking a gk if he is ready to face a freekick.

I don't know why anyone would not wait.. Time is added for substitutions and play has to be restarted with a whistle.

Not waiting is akin to allowing surprise quick free kicks and the like and is asking for match control issues.

We also now have the tool of forcing dawdlers off at the closest boundary line so long as you are switched on you can speed things up quite easily and avoid creating yourself a problem.

do you do that with corners and say, a long throw?

I have never in all my years heard of this practise, disclaimer, am in no way judging the rectitude of the procedure but this is new.

when setting up a ceremonial direct hit, getting wall back etc, I do glance at gk, is he somewhere where you would expect him to be but, penalising the defender is intended to give a reward to the attacker, thats the whole purpose of the orignal free kick. To then basically give the gk an undeserved benefit is surely diluting the impact of the original call.

i cannot recall ever hearing of asking a gk if he is ready to face a freekick.
I only do it at DFKs when the keeper is typically by his post setting up his wall or otherwise out of position and the kick could be an attempt at goal. Its to avoid controversy with the gk complaining they were not ready and concedes a goal. Its really a rhetorical questions as the whistle always comes almost immediately after, so again, I don't see a downside.
Its one of the few restarts where the referee somewhat arbitrarily decides when the restart happens, so I think its fair to give warning to all players before blowing the whistle. I've mentioned previously I also do it after an break for injury before a dropped ball.

I don't know if I'd go as far as asking the keeper to tell me when he's ready, but I will specifically check for him and give him a shout ahead of blowing if he's not ready.

General rule is that a team committing an offence gives up the majority of rights to anything - but the one exception to this is that I still think they have the right to specifically not be tricked or misled by the referee. And that means that if I've declared a FK "on the whistle", I'm not actually going to blow that whistle if I think the defending team isn't pretty much ready for it - that's akin to me trying to catch the keeper out and that's not an argument I can be bothered with.

I don't know why anyone would not wait.. Time is added for substitutions and play has to be restarted with a whistle.

Not waiting is akin to allowing surprise quick free kicks and the like and is asking for match control issues.

We also now have the tool of forcing dawdlers off at the closest boundary line so long as you are switched on you can speed things up quite easily and avoid creating yourself a problem.

Agree, why cause yourselves problems. And if you have neutral assistants the sub will almost always be in position before the AR is ready for you to restart.

Have I missed something....

No, it's just a whistle = better than shouting IMO. Absolutely no excuses for confusion then, none of this "I didn't hear you ref!" nonsense.

I personally restart any drop ball with the whistle if there's been a short break/confusion. If it's an immediate drop ball with no fuss, then crack on.

No, it's just a whistle = better than shouting IMO. Absolutely no excuses for confusion then, none of this "I didn't hear you ref!" nonsense.

I personally restart any drop ball with the whistle if there's been a short break/confusion. If it's an immediate drop ball with no fuss, then crack on.
It was folks saying you must that I was questioning.

I will blow to signal that I am about to restart but I never understand those that whistle then drop sequentially in one action... As a Valkeen user I would have very unimpressed players holding their ears.

While I agree the R should check the ARs and GKs, that doesn't necessarily mean calling out to them. But if it is expected where you are, it makes sense to meet expectations.
In the US, we aren't always expected to actually ask if the goalkeepers are ready. When I center, I don't explicitly ask the keepers if they are ready. However, I ask my ARs to not unfurl their flags (the accepted signal in the US that they are ready to go) until they clearly see that the keepers are game ready.

Now if I go to a tournament or other event and see other referees regularly asking if the keepers are ready, I'll ask. When in Rome and all of that . . . :)

I would say that is pretty much mandatory, you can't rely on the clubs making sure they have the right number of players.
Not only do I count players before the kickoff, I ask my ARs to count players after goals. I don't start until they give me a signal that they have 11. I do this because if a team has more than 11, we can still disallow a goal and caution a player since it's before a restart. During a match, I do my best to make sure the same number of players go off the field as come on the field. But that doesn't always happen.

Cant post the link but seems the gk in the Paraguay cup final was not afforded the luxury of being asked if he was ready...

sent off before kick off for gestures to the crowd after a VAR review.

one things for sure, as usual the Sun are not helping things at all with ther wording, ' provocative" would be a yc,

for red, we need abusive,insulting, offensive.

the ' slit throat' gesture is not as brutal as the one i more commonly associate with that phrase, that said, the gk has really invited a decision to be made
I guess we need knowledge into south american rituals to assess clearly whats going on tho .
is the dance ok?
is it a yc without the hand movement to throat?
is it a certain red no matter what?

interesting incident all the same and one without var would have prob been left to ar, or, missed altogether

Back