A&H

Keeper Releasing the ball

The Referee Store
Did this use to be a mandatory yellow card?

I remember many years ago sending a player off for doing this twice when i was assessed. The assessor said i was correct to do this. I got promoted that season.
Probably old school assessor many of whom have some myths instilled in them from their refereeing days.

I ARed a game a few years ago (before the specific law change) with one of those old school assessors. A goal keeper skewed a goal kick and it was going straight out around the half way line. A team mate jumped and caught it about 2 meters high in air just inside the FOP. Then put it on the ground and walked off. The ref blew the whistle and showed him a yellow card.
The assessor told him he was right to caution him. I did say I disagreed with it but didn't take it any further. This never was or is a caution before or after the law change.

In my early days on this forum I remember an assessor being certain that a "technical offence" (or non technical, I can't remember) can't be DOGSO.

Last edited:
Did this use to be a mandatory yellow card?

I remember many years ago sending a player off for doing this twice when i was assessed. The assessor said i was correct to do this. I got promoted that season.
Up till 2016, the law did say that it was a caution if a player:

handles the ball to prevent an opponent gaining possession or developing an attack.

This was changed, precisely because (according to the IFAB) some referees were using it as an excuse to caution almost every handling offence. It was replaced with the current wording where it's only a mandatory caution if the handling interferes with or stops a promising attack.

Probably old school assessor many of whom have some myths instilled in them from their refereeing days.

I ARed a game a few years ago (before the specific law change) with one of those old school assessors. A goal keeper skewed a goal kick and it was going straight out around the half way line. A team mate jumped and caught it about 2 meters high in air just inside the FOP. Then put it on the ground and walked off. The ref blew the whistle and showed him a yellow card.
The assessor told him he was right to caution him. I did say I disagreed with it but didn't take it any further. This never was or is a caution before or after the law change.

In my early days on this forum I remember an assessor being certain that a "technical offence" (or non technical, I can't remember) can't be DOGSO.

I observed a referee years ago where a player stood on the touchline, realising the ball was obviously going out, jumped up and caught the ball. Unfortunately the referee felt the ball hadn't gone out and gave a free kick. Even more unfortunately for both player and referee, the latter cautioned him for it.

I asked him in the debrief after why he had cautioned and he just said deliberate handball so caution. So I pointed out that without handball the only thing getting possession of the ball was the fishpond beond the pitch, and it would be very difficult to develop an attack from there 😂

Back