A&H

Keep Rolling, Rolling, Rolling... But Please Dont!

I don't stop my watch for substitution. I add 30 seconds on. Some may disagree with me. Some may not.

Running onto the pitch where I am standing with a quick chat is much quicker than me stopping the game, running over to the halfway line, taking the name, doing the checks, waiting for one on, one off, returning back to position (me and the player) and then restarting the game...

Coming from a 5-4 ref / assessor / mentor / mentor co-ordinator / trainee level 1 tutor............what can I say :eek:

The Referee Store
For parks football the only time I did substitutions at the half way line was on assessments.

If I'm doing a sub on a Sunday morning. They're not expecting me to go to the half way line and I'm not going to. Subs running off they're keen to get on and play, I meet them half way tick off their name and we crack on once they're in position.

jacko if you did it when you were being assessed why cant you be bother doing it properly everytime
the assessors up here would do there nut with you

jacko if you did it when you were being assessed why cant you be bother doing it properly everytime
the assessors up here would do there nut with you

Because no one else does it, clubs aren't expecting it.

No assessors will lose their nut as I'll never be assessed on a sunday league game again.

Clubs will expect it - next time you ref them. Get into good habits, not bad ones.

But...but....but jacko is a level 4......surely we shouldn't be disrespectin' the level :confused:

I ref in Australia, and I've refereed a lot more games with 'unlimited interchange' (rolling subs) than with normal substitutions.

Yes, you do get some teams - particularly O35 - where the player runs onto the field first. Don't let him - it might seem pedantic, but if he punches somebody (and it can happen) - or the player leaving, then you're stuck, because there's no correct process. Do they player a player down or not? So yeah, it is a big deal. A quick toot of the whistle and a hand signal will let them know to wait. I couldn't justify a caution here, unless it's quite a high level. It's more likely to be ignorance (or an attempt to waste as little time as possible) than anything else - and given quite a few referees are lax here, I can't really blame the players. You can manage it without cards. Same with players wanting to enter at the wrong place.

I don't check each sub or come to halfway - what's the point? The player just left the field so his equipment should be fine, and running up to him is just wasting everybody's time and my own energy.
I also don't take the name - also pointless (at least we have a teamsheet with everybody's name here). Even without that sheet I wouldn't see the point in checking the name every time.
I may not allow them time to get into position. It partially depends on the match and how many subs they are. My view is that rolling subs waste too much time (and if it's a game with rolling subs then it will normally have instructions to not have stoppage time due to scheduling), so it's on the teams to substitute at an appropriate time. And that's pretty well accepted as well. You also have to be aware if a team is using it as a delaying tactic and turn a deaf ear now and then depending on the situation.

we have one assessor up here, great guy but he would destroy you for not doing the subs procedure properly

"I don't check each sub or come to halfway - what's the point?"
What if a stud came off/broke during match?(boot collision) What if while he was off the pitch he decided to put item jewellery on because you've already checked and you wouldnt look again a couple of seasons ago i checked each team made sure no jewellery was worn later in the match for god knows what reason a player had put his watch on at the top of his arm(yes he was that skinny) he got a YC for his troubles......
What if the sub came on (not halfway) and immediatly gained an advantage that led to a goal?

If the sub didn't come on at halfway I blow the whistle to get them to return, already covered that.
As for the rest of the equipment - same argument holds true at halftime. If a player is stupid enough to add jewellery after an equipment check then he deserves the card he's going to get. Players can also add jewellery between the equipment check and the start of the match. Or hide in the toilets.

No part of the LOTG requires the referee to inspect a sub coming onto the field. It's part of ensuring adherance to Law 4, certainly, but the players also have a responsibility themselves. Realistically the chance of a uniform breach in the 5min since he last came off the field is very low, as opposed to a sub who probably didn't even kit up at the initial inspection.

It's about practicality. I'm supposed to run all the way over every time there's a sub for....what? I don't think I've ever seen jewellery come on the field from somebody who applied it while on interchange. Ever. So delaying the game to run across for an almost zero chance of spotting something pretty minor is, frankly, absurd. Especailly when these games could have 20 separate subsitutions or more. That's going to waste a massive, massive chunk of game time - and really, ALL I'd be doing is just trying to make myself look important rather than actually doing anything useful.

Not to mention wasting my own energy as well. So again, what law have I breached?
The normal sub procedure (delay, AR runs up, record, etc etc) is designed for substitutions, not rolling subs. It's just too impractical and looks utterly ridiculous. Wouldn't make a difference if I was getting assessed either (I was an assessor myself)

Back