A&H

Keep Rolling, Rolling, Rolling... But Please Dont!

Silhouette

Target of Abuse
Level 7 Referee
Howdy Y'all,

Looking for tips, tricks and go to phrases for Substitutions.

Doesnt matter what level I play at - or age range - whenever theres a sub, they'll call it, ill half pace over and whilst im jogging over the sub is already on the pitch - before the player has left the field of play.

Its not the end of the world, I can catch the player thats come on to take details/check kit etc, but it annoys me.

Usually after the first one, I usually say "Wait for the player to leave the field of play first please players" - and that'll work 50% of the time... But its annoying as hell.

Or is that me being picky?

This is especially annoying when they do rolling subs - where its not uncommon for them to switch players without telling me - which to my understanding is a yellow card for the player thats come on.

The Referee Store
Even with Rolling subs ,they should still be done at a break in play on your say so .

If you really don't want the sub on the pitch first ,bang the whistle as soon as he steps on and tell him to get off ;)

Pre match when setting your stall out " and subs on and at the HWL, one on, one off please. Note that it's a C6 / C7 YC for doing it your own way and I won't be losing any points if aynone is watching me. Let this be your warning."

First one head over sharpish and catch them with a "wait for it" as you get there.

But ALWAYS a thank you / thanks for that on your way back before RSP.

I'd get into a habit of getting it done on the half way line and get them to wait until you get there, otherwise these are silly marks to drop when being assessed. (I talk from experience!!)

It'll come second nature pretty soon mate

Subs know to come on at the half way line - some may try to be cheeky though.

Manager says "sub ref!", blow the whistle, ask the restarting play player to wait for the whistle, run over to the half way line and if they have tried sneaking on at the wrong place or before the sub has left, simply say something along the lines off "With me please" or "Over here please" - pointing to the halfway line - saying something like "Wait for the player to leave the field of play first please players" doesn't exactly roll of the tongue. Hold them at the centre circle and do all necessary checks (whilst facing the FOP), the checks being - note the player coming off, time of sub and equipment check - if he tries to go on before you have finished say something along on the lines off "Slow down / Hang on please". When the job is done, let them on, run over to your position, for extra brownie points wait for the substitution to get roughly in position, thank the player for waiting, blow the whistle, get on with the game.

Take control. Be concise. Get the job done correctly. As has been said, it will become second nature.

I'm glad someone mentioned letting the sub get into position. It can be a small but costly error if the ball sails in while the new Centre half is still making his way into position. Match control goes out the window. Ask the player where he is playing and to give you a thumbs up/nod when he's in position THEN blow the whistle for the restart.

Ask the player where he is playing and to give you a thumbs up/nod when he's in position THEN blow the whistle for the restart.

Seems like a lot to me.. particularly if there's no limited substitutes
I usually just observe how the player runs while he's getting into position, it gives enough information to know if he got to go all across the field or no

On my own on a Sunday I'll admit that I don't go over the half-way line unless I'm already in the vicinity . If I'm 60 odd yards away all sorts is likely to be going on in the penalty area.
I just ask the manager to make his players wait until his teammate leaves the field, and to get the player to come over to you. Sure subs won't always be done in the correct manner but as long as it's something resembling the correct procedure I'm not too bothered.

if they try to take the mickey speak to the coach if it happens again you have a nice shiny yellow card in your pocket dont be shy letting people see it

Seems like a lot to me.. particularly if there's no limited substitutes
I usually just observe how the player runs while he's getting into position, it gives enough information to know if he got to go all across the field or no
In England roll on, roll off substitutions are mainly used in junior football and therefore I agree with your comment. If however it is an adult game, it is probably the first time I may have spoken to this player in 60 minutes. I use that time, close to his manager/coach to manage him into the game and build a relationship very quickly.

Pre match when setting your stall out " and subs on and at the HWL, one on, one off please. Note that it's a C6 / C7 YC for doing it your own way and I won't be losing any points if aynone is watching me. Let this be your warning."

First one head over sharpish and catch them with a "wait for it" as you get there.

But ALWAYS a thank you / thanks for that on your way back before RSP.

Great advice. I like that method.

...and do all necessary checks (whilst facing the FOP)

Ive never thought about this, how do I keep him off the field and check him, whilst keeping my eyes on the FOP... Would I have to be off the pitch? Or let the player off, bring the sub on a few feet, then turn him around for the checks.

As mentioned above, I always ask "What position player?" and wait for them to get there - and always a thank you when they do it properly.

Silhouette - go over to the touchline, either stand on the touchline, just in front, or behind, whilst the player is to the side of you (he will be off the pitch still), face the FOP, and do all the checks etc...

I've only ever done one adults league with roll on roll off subs - bloody hated it.

It did feel a bit odd, almost like your not really in control type of feeling. Not sure how you would manage it if you were being assessed either

I was assessed when doing my 6-5 on one - all roll on roll off subs were done in the same manner as normal subs.

In fact, even when assessors weren't there I did formal procedure. For three reasons really. 1) You are suppose to. 2) I wanted it to become second nature. 3) If you do it for every sub, you put the teams off doing loads of subs (i.e. taking the p*ss). If they do, they know it will be wasting a lot of time.

when you say , 'it will be wasting a lot of time', how does that work?. yes, they might get home after doctor who has started but, if you're stopping your watch for substitutions, it shouldn't waste any time at all.

Pre match when setting your stall out " and subs on and at the HWL, one on, one off please.

not wishing to split hairs, HRW, but surely that should be 'one off, one on'

Damn my OCD! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
rolling subs are a total pain in the sitting region, they should be in fifas bin of stupid ideas along with golden/siver goals and squad numbers players wearing number 50 for goodness sake both starting 11s should be 1 to 11 and yes i am a dinasaur

when you say , 'it will be wasting a lot of time', how does that work?. yes, they might get home after doctor who has started but, if you're stopping your watch for substitutions, it shouldn't waste any time at all.

I don't stop my watch for substitution. I add 30 seconds on. Some may disagree with me. Some may not.

Running onto the pitch where I am standing with a quick chat is much quicker than me stopping the game, running over to the halfway line, taking the name, doing the checks, waiting for one on, one off, returning back to position (me and the player) and then restarting the game...

Back