A&H

Just weird - Verratti

I think if you concentrate more on the phrase 'circumvent the law' rather than the phrase 'uses a deliberate trick' then you will see what this law is about.

The law says no deliberate pass with the foot, if you try and find a loophole then you are in the USB territory.

The Referee Store
I think if you concentrate more on the phrase 'circumvent the law' rather than the phrase 'uses a deliberate trick' then you will see what this law is about.

The law says no deliberate pass with the foot, if you try and find a loophole then you are in the USB territory.

Being pedantic (and correct) law does NOT mention "pass" or "foot"

It actually says GK should be penalised if he...

"......touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate"

Being pedantic (and correct) law does NOT mention "pass" or "foot"

It actually says GK should be penalised if he...

"......touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate"
And being pedantic back, note that I did not quote my remark meaning I am not using the same words or phrase but what it implies.

As I said, its more to do with what the law is about and less to do with the exact wording.

Yeah, I think you're right. We all know an attempt to find a loophole when we see one and we all know what the law was intended to stop. Trying to pick apart the exact wording gets us nowhere when we could just apply common sense.

But Graeme and One, in this case the exact wording helps us I think.

How many times have you heard players appealing for a "pass back"

I have also seen a professional game where 80% of the crowd and most of the players wanted a free kick because defender knocked the ball back to the GK with his knee?

Using the law wording in this case helps us explain the law to players etc I think

I have also seen a professional game where 80% of the crowd and most of the players wanted a free kick because defender knocked the ball back to the GK with his knee?

Using the law wording in this case helps us explain the law to players etc I think

Did the referee give a free kick

Being pedantic again though, he didn't use the phrase "pass back" he used the phrase "pass with the foot" - which would clearly exclude the example you gave of a player using the knee, so would not lead to the kind of confusion you allude to. There is essentially, no difference between "pass [the ball] with the foot" to the goalkeeper and "kick [the ball]" to the goalkeeper.

Being pedantic again though, he didn't use the phrase "pass back" he used the phrase "pass with the foot" - which would clearly exclude the example you gave of a player using the knee, so would not lead to the kind of confusion you allude to. There is essentially, no difference between "pass [the ball] with the foot" to the goalkeeper and "kick [the ball]" to the goalkeeper.

Don't really want to spend 10 posts discussing the English language, but clearly not every "kick" is a "pass" so can't agree with you on that one.

Reactions: SM
The keeper did not pick it up, so what did he do wrong. Had he picked it up I would have understood

The keeper did not pick it up, so what did he do wrong. Had he picked it up I would have understood

The player got down on his hands and knees to "head" the ball back to the keeper.

He attempted to use a deliberate trick the circumvent the laws of the game..

It's all in the LOTG.

Have to say this is a learning point for me. I had never considered that the keeper doesnt have to pick it up for circumvention. But it makes perfect sense to me.

No one saw the exact same thing in the Southampton v Arsenal game then?

Not one player appealed for it, nor did it get a mention from the pundits.........

Don't really want to spend 10 posts discussing the English language, but clearly not every "kick" is a "pass" so can't agree with you on that one.
Yes but you've just totally mis-characterised what I said - in fact you've more or less reversed it. I didn't say every kick is a pass - what I said is that a pass with the foot is a kick. It's the same logical fallacy as if I said that a labrador is a dog and you accuse me of saying that every dog is a labrador.

In fact, you've managed the fairly clever trick of cramming two logical fallacies into one short sentence, you've used a straw man argument that in itself, contains a syllogism.

Last edited:
Back