A&H

Junior football goal recording

I'm reasonably sure that you only have to take the name, you don't have to note it.

I always ask for the name but I never note it. Quite often the name is not English and I might be there a while getting it spelled out. I make a habit of checking the names after the match.
I reffed a Sunday League game last season with a side made up entirely of Bulgarians.
No teamsheets in that league so you MUST take names.

After a few minutes of misunderstandings I handed him a pencil and my notepad and asked him to write his own name 😂

Far from ideal but it diffused the temperature of the game quite nicely!

The Referee Store
I reffed a Sunday League game last season with a side made up entirely of Bulgarians.

After a few minutes of misunderstandings I handed him a pencil and my notepad and asked him to write his own n

I get the sentiment but thats farcical.

I get the sentiment but thats farcical.
Give me another solution to the problem.

The competition rules stipulate post match online team sheets rather than physical pre game team sheets.

Unfortunately I don’t speak Bulgarian and didn’t have time to pick up a Rosetta Stone CD en-route to the game.

Give me another solution to the problem.

The competition rules stipulate post match online team sheets rather than physical pre game team sheets.

Unfortunately I don’t speak Bulgarian and didn’t have time to pick up a Rosetta Stone CD en-route to the game.

the mental image conjoured up was sending off someone for insulting etc, then having to get him to write his name in the book.

The league should be the ones providing solutions to difficulties encountered when officiating in their competition,

the mental image conjoured up was sending off someone for insulting etc, then having to get him to write his name in the book.

The league should be the ones providing solutions to difficulties encountered when officiating in their competition,
So you have no solution then?
Just more derisory comments?

Think I’ll test out that ‘ignore’ button.

After a few minutes of misunderstandings I handed him a pencil and my notepad and asked him to write his own name 😂

We used to have a Gurkha regiment based in Hampshire, with several Nepalese internationals in their football squad playing in the local league. I had an agreement with their Football Officer that if I cautioned or sent off one of their players I would take the number and after the game he would give me the name, as none of the players spoke English. Not ideal, but practical.
When the league later introduced team sheets I found that of their 14 players in my game 13 had the last name Gurung, very common in Nepal!
(The other rarity was the size of their home pitch . . . 130 yards by 100 yards!)

Back