A&H

Jewellery

The Referee Store
I suggest people stop worrying about what happens in the EPL and EFL and concentrate on applying the laws correctly in their own games.

I'm afraid that's an argument that we're just going to have to be on different sides of.

Its rather naïve, as Big Cat alluded to above, to think that the game at the highest level, watched by millions, should be ignored by players at grassroots.

We often on here deride coaches who say for example that 13 year old Johnny shouldn't be cautioned/sent off, as we say he has to abide by the laws like everyone else - well not quite EVERTYONE else - those earning millions are OK to not accept some laws?

Sorry - as I say - don't buy the argument that we should ignore what the top levels do.

I'm afraid that's an argument that we're just going to have to be on different sides of.

Its rather naïve, as Big Cat alluded to above, to think that the game at the highest level, watched by millions, should be ignored by players at grassroots.

We often on here deride coaches who say for example that 13 year old Johnny shouldn't be cautioned/sent off, as we say he has to abide by the laws like everyone else - well not quite EVERTYONE else - those earning millions are OK to not accept some laws?

Sorry - as I say - don't buy the argument that we should ignore what the top levels do.

Why worry about something you have absolutely no control over?

Do I think it is right that things like offinabus, dissent etc are either treated much more leniently or ignored outright at the top level? No.

Do I think that the top level ignoring things makes our jobs harder on a Sunday morning? Yes.

Is there anything I can do the change how top flight football is refereed? Not realistically, no. I'm too old to ever have a hope of making it to the dizzy heights of SG2 or SG1, and it's extremely unlikely that I will ever find myself if a position within the FA or PGMOL where I will be able to influence how the top flight of English football is refereed.

Just concentrate on your own games and what you can control, don't worry about what other people are doing in their games.

Why worry about something you have absolutely no control over?

Do I think it is right that things like offinabus, dissent etc are either treated much more leniently or ignored outright at the top level? No.

Do I think that the top level ignoring things makes our jobs harder on a Sunday morning? Yes.

Is there anything I can do the change how top flight football is refereed? Not realistically, no. I'm too old to ever have a hope of making it to the dizzy heights of SG2 or SG1, and it's extremely unlikely that I will ever find myself if a position within the FA or PGMOL where I will be able to influence how the top flight of English football is refereed.

Just concentrate on your own games and what you can control, don't worry about what other people are doing in their games.

Its not so much a 'worry' as a discussion point. If we didn't 'worry' what other people were doing in their games, what's the point of coming on here giving our opinions on what others have done - a large part of this forum!

As I said, just going to have to agree to disagree on this one I think.

I carry a selection of padded plasters, insulating electrical tape (in several colours), wrist bands, and a pair of scissors. Problem solved!!

Did a semi-final game as an AR yesterday. All waiting in the tunnel for the red team captain so we can walk out. He arrives, right in front of us, with a piece of tape to cover a flat but chunky ring. The ref says "now that I have seen it, you have to take it off". All around including his own team officials agree that it was pretty stupid to try and cover it in front of the referee :) .
Of course he says I can't take it off. "you are not playing then. Do you want to make changes to the team sheet?". Ref gave them a couple of minutes to take it off which didn't work. We got going with reds to start with ten. He ran in just before kick off. They cut off the ring with a mini bolt cutter.

Which begs the question how has he managed to get to the semi-final without removing the ring? Last week's ref :(

You're not exactly convincing me :dead:

It isn't just getting rings caught. If a player suffers a finger injury the ring acts as a tourniquet which can dramaticaly worsen an injury. See what happens to a broken finge when wearing a ring.

I have seen what can happen to players where jewellery affects or causes an injury so won't allow it at all.

I carry a selection of padded plasters, insulating electrical tape (in several colours), wrist bands, and a pair of scissors. Problem solved!!
First aider, electrician, sports outfitter, referee...........just why would you?

Back