Level 5 Referee
Match #25
Japan vs Costa Rica
Sunday, 27th November 2022
13:00 Local Time (10:00 GMT)
Al-Rayyan

Referee: Michael Oliver (ENG)

Assistant Referee 1: Stuart Burt (ENG)
Assistant Referee 2: Simon Peter Bennett (ENG)
Fourth Official: Maguette N'Diaye (SEN)
Reserve Assistant Referee: Malick El Hadj Samba (SEN)
Video Assistant Referee: Jerome Brisard (FRA)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Benoit Millot (FRA)
Offside Video Assistant Referee: Cyril Gringore (FRA)
Support Video Assistant Referee: Adil Zourak (MOR)
Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Nicolas Danos (FRA)

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Will MO’s less imposing style fit the world cup context? My guess is not.

Will he make a warning at the first corner even if there’s nothing to warn? My guess no.

What happened to FIFA fingers? Last worl cup the warnings were all index fingers and now…? All we ask for is consistency from refs!

Will MO’s less imposing style fit the world cup context? My guess is not.

Will he make a warning at the first corner even if there’s nothing to warn? My guess no.

What happened to FIFA fingers? Last worl cup the warnings were all index fingers and now…? All we ask for is consistency from refs!

If that's what the powers that be want that's what he'll do. Foolish otherwise

About as straightforward a half for Oliver as you can expect and he looks assured as ever. Thought there was a good case for a YC for a Costa Rican player in the 37th minute though

Was just going to ask the same question...

Central and edge of the area. Granted there was defenders either side, but would have had a clear shot at goal.

Had MO gone red, would VAR have backed him?

My thinking such a cynical foul, defender loses his benefit of the doubt. I know it’s not VAR protocol but as a referee I’d like a second view at the monitor with no expectation I am going either way.

Anyone giving a penalty for that shirt pull? Think attacker goes down very easily but we saw a lot of those holding fouls given at the start of the group stages!

Anyone giving a penalty for that shirt pull? Think attacker goes down very easily but we saw a lot of those holding fouls given at the start of the group stages!
Not for me. Not every shirt pull is a foul. As you say, went down very easily

It's also where I'd like to see a sin bin

The yellow is no punishment/deterrent
To be fair, he already is missing the next match due to Yellow Card accumulation but if he gets a second one in this one, he will be sent off so he does have to be careful.

No I'm not giving that a penalty. The foul did not quite continue into the area.

Back