A&H

James Folkes Red Card Vs Worthing 8/12/2018

its he tho who has put his arms into a position where he can block the ball with them
Why did he not just stay facing the ball where he was when it was struck? That would be defending
Altering your body shape into a position where you can now block the ball with your arm should be penalised.
He had only one intention when he by his own free will changed his stance, to block that shot by any means possible.
Defender has a head,chest, shoulder? To defend with here. He opts for use of the arm

When somebody is setting up to hit a ball towards you, you naturally go side on. The instinct to protect yourself comes before the instinct to keep your hands away. You never see defenders not go side on when blocking shots, its unnatural to do that.

The Referee Store
its he tho who has put his arms into a position where he can block the ball with them
Why did he not just stay facing the ball where he was when it was struck? That would be defending
Altering your body shape into a position where you can now block the ball with your arm should be penalised.
He had only one intention when he by his own free will changed his stance, to block that shot by any means possible.
Defender has a head,chest, shoulder? To defend with here. He opts for use of the arm
If it had hit the part of his arm which wasn't inline with his body then I'd agree. I also think turning side on is a natural reaction as it protects most your body, it benefits him less to do so.

The fact is elbow is tucked into his side, and he is side on means he's trying to not use his arms for me

Reactions: JH
At that speed is he really choosing where it hits him? Really? Pot luck really

When somebody is setting up to hit a ball towards you, you naturally go side on. The instinct to protect yourself comes before the instinct to keep your hands away. You never see defenders not go side on when blocking shots, its unnatural to do that.

So we are denying one team a pk because a defender is protecting himself?
There is no allowance in my lotg book for this
This natural position thing is fine, before a cross comes in, when jumping, or before a shot is struck but to alter your body position with a view to using your arm as a tool to block the shot, am giving a pk.
What is he protecting himself from? A flying ball? Jumping out of the way of a two footed lunge you can understand, or use of arm in a jump to win a high ball yes, but use of arm to prevent a football from hitting you square on the napper? I cant see an allowance made for it here.

At that speed is he really choosing where it hits him? Really? Pot luck really

He really should not have a choice to make. Stay as he is, ball smacks him, play on
He himself has opted to alter his body shape into one that can block the ball.

Is there somewhere am missing where we are taught,ref its not handball as I was scared ball would smash me in the mush so rather than risk that happening I used my hands to block the ball?
Because even at that, it reads as a deliberate act

The defender took deliberate evasive action, but that does not mean the action was deliberate HB, quite the opposite imho

There is only one persn responsible for the ball being blocked by the arm, thats the defender
The striker is allowed to smash an effort on goal, as high, hard, swerved as he wishes
The defender is not allowed to use his arm to block that shot.

I dont think, ref the ball was about to hit my face so I blocked it with my arm, can be any more deliberate if it tried.

Considerations for handball....was it unexpected? Well certainly not unexpected as the player expected it to hit his fizzer so he knew fine well the ball was on its travels
Movement of the hand towards the ball? Well, the defender himself chose to move his hand/arm into the flightpath of the ball. Without moving it before the shot was struck, it was not in the flightpath of the ball
Blocked the ball with arm with a view to not letting it hit him in the face? not backed up by lotg sorry

Last edited:
Movement of the hand towards the ball? Well, the defender himself chose to move his hand/arm into the flightpath of the ball. Without moving it before the shot was struck, it was not in the flightpath of the ball
His arm has not moved... Keep in mind this happens within the same second on the video!
2cbbdcd08f37f0deac60767b0cb74e0c.png

70464db5af650d1688b1bd992c601bcf.png

The still pix show a false version of the reality.
What we see in the pix above is entirely diff to the original clip

In real time looked like a great save and DOGSO

On second view, indisputable that it's hit the elbow, but I think that's pure fluke.

Not going to condemn the decision purely because on one look its plausible.

I'm not giving that on replay.

However, on the first viewing, I thought erroneously that it had hit his left arm, the one that was outstretched. Mind you, I'm not very good at spotting handballs for whatever reason... =x

So we are denying one team a pk because a defender is protecting himself?
There is no allowance in my lotg book for this
This natural position thing is fine, before a cross comes in, when jumping, or before a shot is struck but to alter your body position with a view to using your arm as a tool to block the shot, am giving a pk.
What is he protecting himself from? A flying ball? Jumping out of the way of a two footed lunge you can understand, or use of arm in a jump to win a high ball yes, but use of arm to prevent a football from hitting you square on the napper? I cant see an allowance made for it here.

When someone is liningnup a shot a couple of yards away from you, you will turn more side on and therefore show more of your arms. Everyone will do it, it's natural. Not an intentional hand ball for me. Play on

I couldn't be sure in real time so wouldn't be giving it.
After watching the replay I'm not sure what else the defender could have done. That arm is about as tucked in as it gets and the ball is LEATHERED at him. Certianly no handball

I suspect the referee thought it had hit his outstretched left arm, not the one tucked into his body.

He's done the right thing by isolating the player, but I would have expected him to go towards the other corner where his assistant is. Just in case he can get a discreet message to him if he thinks he has goofed.

Back