A&H

James Folkes Red Card Vs Worthing 8/12/2018

The Referee Store
Harsh HB and red for me. Referee's body language is all wrong backing up that far.

Harsh, too fast to react to be a stick on HB for me l. I thought the ref was going to send him off from the far park he was going that far back; strange mannerisms l!

The referee should have booked the 8 Blue for dissent 100%

Not great quality on my works PC of the incident, is he trying to get out the way of it ?

I think once hes given the penalty he has to give the red card.

So this is where Andy Dorso refs these days?

That aside am giving that, (from the footage i see) , for me, the defender has blocked the ball with the arm, extended his body shape and its what I term, done a John Terry, as he made a career out of it.
Thats a gk save by the defender, he dives into it.
If he is going to be innocent by blocking it, just stand there and take the hit.

Without being a personal attack the ref needs some guidance from a senior ref pal tho about his Edward Army retreat. Weak. Spineless.

Doubt he could even control a coin toss tbh..

Do you think it would be a good idea for this sort of incident (obviously at levels who have the spray) for the referee as the players come towards him to put a marker down so if a player crosses the line in more ways than one then he gets a Yellow card ?

Do you think it would be a good idea for this sort of incident (obviously at levels who have the spray) for the referee as the players come towards him to put a marker down so if a player crosses the line in more ways than one then he gets a Yellow card ?

There was a clip last season of a south american ref i think, doing just that, he went to speak to AR, sprayed a line, and made it clear nobody was to cross it.

The other option in the clip in question is for the referee to stay strong, ooze confidence and exert his authority. Instead he headed for the hills. Taking a guess the rest of the game went well for him..........

Ignoring whether or not it was HB (for the sake of this post, can we assume it was and a RC is the right decision) how far should the ref go?

I ask because this is something I’m conscious of that I do - move away to an empty space before talking to player/issuing card. I do so as it’s easier to isolate the player, helps cool the temperature as it takes time - I’m probably wanting to “kill the game” a bit, calm inflamed passions, and buy myself a moments thinking time.

However, I have had comments form the side/ other players “ where are you going ref”, so I’m interested in thoughts on this as a development point for my game.

Don’t think I go quite as far as the ref in this vid., but I do also remember an incident in the World Cup (England v Columbia?) when the ref gave a pen, stayed at the pen. spot and was surrounded by horads of players, the spot got (deliberately) scuffed and I couldn’t help but think that if he moved to the age of the area/goalie it would start/help to diffuse the situation.

No penalty. Poor decision, although we're increasingly seeing any HB given, deliberate or not
Never thought about how far to back off, but it shouldn't amount to a walk around the park. If half a team want to talk to me, I seek out the captain, pull him/her towards me, which helps push everyone else back as you're seen to be listening (to one person)

All i would ask though is what is the defender actually trying to do ?

Correct.
If the player is already in this stance and the ball strikes him, play on
If the player has not changed his body shape and the ball smacks into him, play on
This player has by his own actions deliberatly used his arm to block a goal bound shot
Only one persons actions here have resulted in the contact between arm and ball, the defenders.

Maybe, defend?? His arms are naturally where his mother helped him grow them.

its he tho who has put his arms into a position where he can block the ball with them
Why did he not just stay facing the ball where he was when it was struck? That would be defending
Altering your body shape into a position where you can now block the ball with your arm should be penalised.
He had only one intention when he by his own free will changed his stance, to block that shot by any means possible.
Defender has a head,chest, shoulder? To defend with here. He opts for use of the arm

Last edited:
Back