A&H

JAM ITA penalty mess

Disagree. Results of the game can hang on how well you managed your reviews more so than how well you played the game. It's a no brainer for me.

I get quiet frustrated (with the rules and the players) in both cricket and tennis when the official make a very obvious error, every one knows it but the officials, and nothing can be done because you are out of reviews.
That's the point about losing it....makes you only go to review for the "obvious".........

The Referee Store
I don't agree with a challenge based system, and feel the current system will work with tweaks if they stop getting too involved. Its almost as if they are looking for problems to try and justify that VAR is working, and they need to focus on the clear injustices. I just don't think a foot around 3cm off the goal is a clear injustice, and nor do I suspect would the majority of players, officials, spectators and match officials across the World.

Disagree. Results of the game can hang on how well you managed your reviews more so than how well you played the game. It's a no brainer for me.

I get quiet frustrated (with the rules and the players) in both cricket and tennis when the official make a very obvious error, every one knows it but the officials, and nothing can be done because you are out of reviews.

The thing is the players learn how and when to use it, now you rarely see outrageously bad challenges (in which case more fool the player/team for losing it).

I think it would become a tactic in itself and add more to the game than VAR currently does.

Not that it makes any difference to anything but here's my method:

Teams get 4 challenges per game. Use them you lose them, right or wrong. Immediately prevented frivolous challenges.

Captain is the only player who can request a challenge and it must be made within 15 seconds to prevent missuse of technology.

If ball is in play, play is stopped when ball is in a neutral area or when the ball goes dead.

I'd still suggest referee or VAR initiated reviews remain for mistaken identity
I don't agree with a challenge based system, and feel the current system will work with tweaks if they stop getting too involved. Its almost as if they are looking for problems to try and justify that VAR is working, and they need to focus on the clear injustices. I just don't think a foot around 3cm off the goal is a clear injustice, and nor do I suspect would the majority of players, officials, spectators and match officials across the World.

I think the current system can work if they reign in the scope, as you suggest. I don't want to see AR not raising the flag on blatant offsides as well, every one sees it, everyone knows it, just stick it up. Sure this should happen with experience but it should be better by now.

I just don't think a foot around 3cm off the goal is a clear injustice, and nor do I suspect would the majority of players, officials, spectators and match officials across the World.

It's pretty clear that there was an instruction to the VAR in the U20WC and WWC to be super strict on this. And equally clear that UEFA has not given the same instruction to VARs.

VAR giveth and VAR taketh away when it comes to GK enforcement at PKs . . . Nigeria appeared likely to be knocked out of the cup on a trivial GK infraction, but now is looking pretty safe to continue because of another trivial GK movement . . . the beautiful game has become the theatre of the absurd.

Oh look, it's happened again

At this point the keeper is as much at fault mind

Uh, yeah. GKs who have spent 15 years under one standard and were expected to instantly shift to a completely different standard that has to be measured by stop frame photography because it can't be caught by the human eye. How incompetent that they haven't been able to adapt yet.

We are in the middle of a transition period, for better or worse. Either way it's not going to be easy. We have had similar periods in the past but I don't think nowhere as big as this one.

Seeing as UEFA is a subsidiary of FIFA, why can't FIFA turn around and say: 'train your referees as we do, or not at all'?

D9dFrXcW4AAH6Nm.jpg

It's pretty clear that there was an instruction to the VAR in the U20WC and WWC to be super strict on this. And equally clear that UEFA has not given the same instruction to VARs.
I think you're comparing apples and oranges. The WWC and U20WC are being played under the 2019/20 laws, the UEFA U21 finals are being played under the 2018/19 Laws. One of the reasons for this law change (as the IFAB mentions in the explanation in the laws) is that the old law where the keeper had to keep both feet on the line was seen as too restrictive and basically unfair on keepers.

So in the UEFA U21's the VAR's are operating under a different set of parameters pertaining to a different edition of the laws and are evidently not under instructions to be super strict on an old law that has already been deemed as unfair, whereas in the other two competitions, I think the IFAB is in essence, saying: "Look, we've already made the law less restrictive, if we just continue letting keepers violate this already less restrictive law with impunity (as happened with the old one) then what was the point of making the change in the first place?"

Seeing as UEFA is a subsidiary of FIFA, why can't FIFA turn around and say: 'train your referees as we do, or not at all'?
UEFA is only a subsidiary of FIFA in terms of the administrative hierarchy of the game. FIFA is not in charge of UEFA when it comes to the laws or their application, the IFAB is.

As far as I can tell, looking at things from the outside, it seems the IFAB is not requiring that the new, stricter interpretation of of goalkeeper movement be applied to games played under the old laws. Once UEFA starts operating tournaments under the 2019/20 Laws, I'd expect to see the same standards in force when VAR is checking on penalties.

UEFA is only a subsidiary of FIFA in terms of the administrative hierarchy of the game. FIFA is not in charge of UEFA when it comes to the laws or their application, the IFAB is.

As far as I can tell, looking at things from the outside, it seems the IFAB is not requiring that the new, stricter interpretation of of goalkeeper movement be applied to games played under the old laws. Once UEFA starts operating tournaments under the 2019/20 Laws, I'd expect to see the same standards in force when VAR is checking on penalties.

reports in papers today (take that as you wish) stating that the PL wont be monitoring keeper movement as closely as the WWC is

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...er-League-goalkeepers-position-penalties.html

if true, makes a mockery of the whole thing. football with VAR has to be the same in every competition. sure individual officials interpretation will differ but protocols like this need to be followed consistently through the whole game for it to work

reports in papers today (take that as you wish) stating that the PL wont be monitoring keeper movement as closely as the WWC is

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...er-League-goalkeepers-position-penalties.html

if true, makes a mockery of the whole thing. football with VAR has to be the same in every competition. sure individual officials interpretation will differ but protocols like this need to be followed consistently through the whole game for it to work
It's almost as if they are intent on making people hate VAR

If it is true, expect the English teams to be caught out in the Champions League or other UEFA sanctioned competitions.

I also don't think it will be fair on the referees themselves if they have to be lenient in one competition and strict in the next, that'll field more calls of inconsistency.

Personally, I do think it has been maybe too strict, but then this is an easy thing for VAR to look at as it is a black and white issue, either you're on/in line with the goal line or you're not. There's nothing subjective about it. Though, I think they need to make it so if they miss by hitting the post/smacking it wide then it should be overlooked, but that's me.

Reactions: es1
Back