A&H

It had to happen..........

I would love to see some research done on club marks, more to the point, the average difference between a team that wins and the team that loses/has somebody sent off. I have no factual evidence to back this up, but I wouldn't mind betting that the losing team gives you a lower mark 95% of the time. One team marks you 85, the other 45. So which was it? You cant have a really good game and a really poor game at the same time, but I'm sure that's how a lot of referees are marked up and down the country each weekend.

An added point is the effect it can have on a referees mind. Your going for your Level 4 or 3........... It's approaching the end of the season......... you are right on the edge of the marks for being promoted. Its the 85th minute of a game and 4-0......... player on the team that's winning goes through and is cut down by a defender........close call, but its probably a DOGSO to the LOTG, but you could probably sell a yellow............ now you tell me that the thought "If I send him off, it may costs me some club marks" isn't going through your head? Not saying everyone would take the yellow option, but it would take someone very strong to not have that thought rattling around in your head, especially if you've put everything into getting promoted that season.

The Referee Store
I be a happy little bunny plodding away as a level 7 referee officiating on a Sunday morning and i enjoy it very much.I don't give a gnats fart on club marks, i know what kind of game i've had,what i've done wrong and what i need to do to improve.
When i used to referee in Berks&Bucks League in Berkshire, i refereed for 4 seasons (and numerous tournaments) two games on a Sunday mens in the morning and youth football in the afternoon.No club marks or anything like that and i just plodded on with it no ifs and buts. One summer i was reffing at a large tournament and went to the ref tent and one of the refs introduced himself and i said "Hi,i'm Mike Newton"His reply was "oh! so you're the Mike Newton are you?" i asked what that comment was for, and apparantly i had a bit of a reputation as a referee who was strict but fair and one particular match i abandoned due to a mass fight was mentioned....ALL this was news to me never heard anything before that encounter......but pleased my efforts were noticed........

I do agree that clubs are biased on their marks depending on match results, i have never, and never will be biased in my decisions on the assumption the club might give me a low mark, i'm sure the relevant FA's are aware of clubs giving biased low marks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Club marks are a truly pointless reflection of a referees performance. In the league I'm on, if a club gives a referee below 50 out of 100 then they write a report justifying their mark. It's widely known and accepted that even if a referee has a truly woeful performance they'll get a score of 50 or 51 out of 100 just so teams don't have to write the report!

Back