A&H

Is this is what junior football has become?

I thought i was done with this thread but the temptation is too much :)

How often do you read in an article that a player was sent off for a 'reckless' challenge. We all know you can't send a player off for reckless challenge. This being common though we know it must have been for EF and not critise the ref for sending some off for a reckless challenge.

Same deal (but not as common), many commentators/jurnos reports a second yellow send off as a send off for the second offence only. For example XY was send off for taking his shirt off for goal celebration.

Why is everyone happy to take this guy's description of events as gospel? Does it sound like his interest is in protecting the referee? Does it sound like he has any other interest but to make himself look good? In what world do you have an article about referee abuse and the picture to go with it is a huge picture of the chairman of the league in suit and tie?

Rant over.

Until another version appears, this is all we have to go on, thus the posts are related to this.

The Referee Store
Sadly these incidents are on the rise, how many happen which we do not hear about ?

I posted recently that ive sent three times as many "coaches" and parents from the field of play than players this season, thats a real concern.

I can handle it im 42, i wouldn't stand a chance at 16 if a 42 year old was bullying me because thats exactly what it is.

If you ask a player his name and he refuses that is dissent by action, plain and simple. You can manage it, warn him the card will turn red, even get the captain in, but if he still refuses then it is bye bye.
exactly my opinion, player refusing to give name stick on yellow card and if its a 2nd one players problem not ours

The chairman is as culpable as the two managers. He completely undemined the authority of the ref.
I cautioned a player and he refused to give me his name, I just entered this detail on WGS and he got a big fine. Perhaps I should have given him a second yellow?? Thoughts?

The chairman is as culpable as the two managers. He completely undemined the authority of the ref.
I cautioned a player and he refused to give me his name, I just entered this detail on WGS and he got a big fine. Perhaps I should have given him a second yellow?? Thoughts?

plenty of different opinions on that, folk saying 2nd yellow for dissent, and folk myself included saying simply report the caution as "refused to give name " and get on with it

plenty of different opinions on that, folk saying 2nd yellow for dissent, and folk myself included saying simply report the caution as "refused to give name " and get on with it

"Could you give me your name please". Blah blah blah. "Second and final chance to give me your name please". Show yellow regardless of whether they give it you or not and report whatever name you got/didn't get. The rest is no concern of ours.

The more difficult ones are those that want to keep talking rather than give you their name when you ask for it. I spend as little time as possible talking to players in these situations. When I first started I tried to explain, and I still do now occasionally but only if I think they're listening. Overwise I'm issuing the card and getting on with the match

I'm intrigued to know how you managed that climb-down after he refused to give a name? Although we've all been taught different things apparently, I think you'll be able to look at the way you felt and if it had an effect on your overall match control and that will let you work out retrospectively if that second yellow would have helped or not.

I'm intrigued to know how you managed that climb-down after he refused to give a name? Although we've all been taught different things apparently, I think you'll be able to look at the way you felt and if it had an effect on your overall match control and that will let you work out retrospectively if that second yellow would have helped or not.

Many years ago, when qualifying, this question was raised about a player either refusing to give his name or giving a false/comical name, e.g., Mickey Mouse. We were instructed to write down whatever name they gave and include it in our report (be it a caution or sending off) - When the disciplinary matter was taken up by the league, the club in question would be punished for playing an unregistered player and, if the culprit's real name was presented, that player would also be punished with a fine and suspension. Happy days!!

Many years ago, when qualifying, this question was raised about a player either refusing to give his name or giving a false/comical name, e.g., Mickey Mouse. We were instructed to write down whatever name they gave and include it in our report (be it a caution or sending off) - When the disciplinary matter was taken up by the league, the club in question would be punished for playing an unregistered player and, if the culprit's real name was presented, that player would also be punished with a fine and suspension. Happy days!!
See I was taught that they've very different things. Even if you don't believe the name given, he has complied with your instruction to provide a name and it's not up to you to judge if his name is reasonable, so you get on with the game. It looks OK to anyone watching, and as you say, it'll go very badly for him post-match if he's lying.

Conversely, refusing to give a name is directly refusing to follow your instruction, which is very easy to see as dissent if you want to. And that's assuming he just politely says "no" when asked, rather than "f*** off ref!" or "screw you" or anything else that could be read as dissent or OFFINABUS in isolation.

See I was taught that they've very different things. Even if you don't believe the name given, he has complied with your instruction to provide a name and it's not up to you to judge if his name is reasonable, so you get on with the game. It looks OK to anyone watching, and as you say, it'll go very badly for him post-match if he's lying.

Conversely, refusing to give a name is directly refusing to follow your instruction, which is very easy to see as dissent if you want to. And that's assuming he just politely says "no" when asked, rather than "f*** off ref!" or "screw you" or anything else that could be read as dissent or OFFINABUS in isolation.
I agree that the player has complied by giving a name - whatever name he gives. My point is that I never challenge the name he has given and simply write it down. I know that the disciplinary committee will discover that its a false name (if indeed it is) and, as I said, both club and player will be punished accordingly.

Agree 100% with this. There ARE some stupid, stupid names out there. And there's going to be people with names matching disney characters and who knows what else.
This is why I'm SO glad we don't have to bother with any of this nonsense in Australia (except low-grade futsal).

Yes to the above, its really not worth a stand off/argument, you are both going to come out of it looking inept by demanding a name from a kid, and, the LOTG do not require you to take it anyway, but yes am aware some local league rules/best practise and all that might concern others.
Long gone are days our generic caution report form started with......"in the 8th minute I had reason to caution numbe 8 from Bawbag Town who gave his name as xxxxxxxxx"

we have moved on to days where address are no longer on team lines, just ID numbers and possibly even going forward the names will be eliminated too, and we just have 1> id no 2> id no and so on......

Agree 100% with this. There ARE some stupid, stupid names out there. And there's going to be people with names matching disney characters and who knows what else.
This is why I'm SO glad we don't have to bother with any of this nonsense in Australia (except low-grade futsal).

99% agree but if anyone tries to tell me their name is Launchpad McQuack, then even I might be a bit suspicious....

True story - In my mid twenties I played socially on a Sunday in a typical pub sponsored league (Division 8 of 12). I had a teammate who's name was Sidney Balz, not the most gifted player it has to be said. In one game he committed a rather robust challenge and was rightly cautioned (yellow card for those young readers). When the referee asked for his name, he relied "Balz" and the referee immediately sent him off for foul and abusive language. All hell broke loose as we, his teammates, surrounded the referee and tried to convince him that his name really was Balz. Our Manager had to dig through the valuables bag he was looking after to find Sidney's wallet and produce his driving licence showing his full name. To be fair the referee apologised and his experience became a much enjoyed anecdote that he told for years after. What's in a name?

Google Bart Simpson prank calls for some choice names

Hugh Jass
P. Freely
Al Coholic
Oliver Klozoff
Mike Rotch

I had a U12 girls game this past Saturday with a pompous ******* of a coach....their club seems to think their **** doesn't stink and that they have run of the field. Well, not when I am in the middle. Coaches own kid is an above the laws kind of a player. The coach does not have any idea how to substitute so I explain what I am looking for prior to the start of the game. Said player decides to sub herself out, coach acknowledges her and subs her out without any acknowledgment of me nor near the midfield line. I caution the coach. After the game, while filling out the game sheet I ask for the coach's first name....she gives it in a not so nice manner and then proceeds to throw her own 11-year-old player under the bus! I mean for real, she actually said to me that the player deserves the card, not me. She may have a case somewhere else in the world but on my tiny rock, I was going to give it to her regardless. My two AR's, one of them was my daughter could not believe the coach actually told me that and was really hoping I would card her player. I mean, come on people, it's a minor illegal substitution yellow card. Quite amusing and a bit disturbing that these types are coaching children.

Back