A&H

Is this is what junior football has become?

The Referee Store
I warn them !! Second time they have to walk !
I do not care how many I send out of the ground and report someone has to make s stand against these people or they’ll just do it every Sunday to EVERY ref

I warn them !! Second time they have to walk !
I do not care how many I send out of the ground and report someone has to make s stand against these people or they’ll just do it every Sunday to EVERY ref
Wouldn't even give them the second time, if they're on the pitch shouting at me, they're going.

I see why the chairman of the league went to speak to the ref, but if the ref had abandoned it would have had more consequences. The kids would see that abuse can lead to a game not finishing, the parents annoyed as they have wasted their time and another morning lost to football, the club would have been hammered.
As soon as some coaches see a young ref they feel they might be able to bully them to get decisions. This is wrong. 2 weeks ago a comment was made to which I found unaccepatble so at the next break I clearly told the manager another comment and he would would be asked to leave the pitch. He replied something along the lines can we discuss it, I told him no, and then a parent helper from the opposing club made some smart arse comment because I was not prepared to argue with a manger during a game. A young ref might not have had the confidence to warn the manager and might of felt he had to engage there and then. If it had been next season he would of have a yellow.
Why is an eleven year old refusing to give his name to a ref! Club culture I am guessing this isn't the first time they have bullied and abused a ref.
If the leagues are serious about sorting this at grass roots points deductions, relegations this would stop this at youth football.
Rant over

Absolutely disgusting - but the punishment is so light. what do we reckon he'll cop? Light fine? Maybe a 2 match suspension?

This behaviour is just disgraceful, it absolutely is. 2 adults not only invaded a pitch but got in the face of, intimidated and abused a child.

If you think about it, that really is quite serious - but we justify it because 'sport'.

I know whenever I've sent off a junior coach I just think, I'd be so embarrassed if I got sent off in a match like that. Of course idiots like that aren't reflective enough to think they've done wrong.

Which is why hefty punishments are all that's left - and make the punishments public.

I see why the chairman of the league went to speak to the ref,
The chairman's actions are appalling here. He's completely overstepped the mark and shown no consideration at all for the referee - rather he's undermined the ref. Basically, by doing this he's taken the side of the grown adults who abused the child.

Abandonment is completely justified.
. The kids would see that abuse can lead to a game not finishing
Good. Behave badly, you don't get to play. That's the right message to send.

. the parents annoyed as they have wasted their time and another morning lost to football
Then they should take it out on the 2 thugs running the team. Though usually in teams like this the parents have no problem with the behaviour. If that's so, then who cares what they whinge about?

the club would have been hammered.
Good. Pressure the club and they can take their own action on the thugs. That's exactly what should happen - the club themselves need to be pressured to change their culture and what their representative are doing.

Note that it doesn't say the managers were removed either.

So, we have an 11 year old with so little respect for the rules that he didn't give his name. 2 grown men who invaded the pitch and intimidated and abused a young child to the point that he started crying.

You have a league manager who undermined the referee and - completely unethically - told him to continue (and yes it's unethical - a 16 yr old ref in this situation is never going to go against the league chairman's wishes. The nature of his position and the emotional state of the ref means the ref never had a choice), undermining his authority, undermining everything to do with Respect and referee protection.

You have the 2 thugs who started this who apparently were permitted to continue the match.

I mean, this is bad. Really bad.

Burgess added: “I’m afraid this sort of thing is becoming all too common

Well maybe because when referees do try to take action you step in and don't let them? What an absolute muppet. If it's becoming all too common in his league, no wonder given his actions.

Am I missing something?

Whats the red card for?

That aside, league chairman has balls of wet toilet tissue, he should have backed the referee, not pandered to the clubs

Agree with comments about the league chairman. Its become too common because those who have the power to do something about it are full of talk and no action. And guess what, going to media proves you are full of talk and the content of the article proves you take no action.

I'd assume 2 yellows. 1 for delaying the restart and the other for dissent

Ok I get the level and the inexperience but, that's not dissent. Am not excusing what went on but, in no way at all is that dissent......
Which then makes out the supposed chairman to be even more foolish by backing it up.

At a push you could stretch to, showing lack of respect for the game....

nothing at all in the LOTG in a month of Sundays or even Saturday u11 games says giving a name is required....

nothing at all in the LOTG in a month of Sundays or even Saturday u11 games says giving a name is required....

Competition/Referee county rules do though, so if a referee is enforcing those rules and a player is deliberately being uncooperative about it, then I'd say that falls under dissent.

Competition/Referee county rules do though, so if a referee is enforcing those rules and a player is deliberately being uncooperative about it, then I'd say that falls under dissent.

SO he says.. Mikey Mouse....its not a caution for dissent. Same principle. You simply report caution as Mickey Mouse and if indeed its not Mr Mouse you have cautioned, you end up reporting that too....

Its not dissent.

A refusal to comply with something which is not mandatory is not dissent.

Lets not argue about if a red card was justifiable on the account of a person who has more interest in getting himself plaster all over the media and "hey I am the good guy" and here is a picture of me in suit and tie. In all likelihood there was more to it.

Lets not argue about if a red card was justifiable on the account of a person who has more interest in getting himself plaster all over the media and "hey I am the good guy" and here is a picture of me in suit and tie. In all likelihood there was more to it.

I beg to differ. Goes back to my point which gets ridiculed every time. Do the wrong thing, and expect the wrong, or unwanted reaction
I totally feel for what happened and so on...but from a refereeing point of view, granted none of us where there, but, I don't see a 2nd yellow/red card offence.
Player refused to give name, you take number and report afterwards that the player refused to give name.

yes, maybe more to it, but referees' can do their bit by doing their duties correctly.

I beg to differ. Goes back to my point which gets ridiculed every time. Do the wrong thing, and expect the wrong, or unwanted reaction

Sigh.... :(

What's worrying is that time and time again you find a way of blaming the victim for what happened. Maybe this is not what you think, or come back later and say this is not what you mean or you are not explaining yourself properly but the way I read this is nothing but victim blaming. Anyway I have been through this debate with you before and don't want to go there again.

but, I don't see a 2nd yellow/red card offence.
Player refused to give name, you take number and report afterwards that the player refused to give name.
You are still relying on the account given by the chairman in the article.

Sigh.... :(

What's worrying is that time and time again you find a way of blaming the victim for what happened. Maybe this is not what you think, or come back later and say this is not what you mean or you are not explaining yourself properly but the way I read this is nothing but victim blaming. Anyway I have been through this debate with you before and don't want to go there again.

You are still relying on the account given by the chairman in the article.

Given I was not there its all I seem to have to go on.
Point remains, each to own and justify what one wants but I don't see a red/2nd yellow offence in there, thus based on what I digest from what I read, the referee has erred in issuing a red card and then we have the problems.
I find a link between wrong decision and, subsequent issues.
Am allowed to find that link.
I dont also dont need you to ask me to explain anything, same as I dont you. if you wish to read my posts you can take out of them what you may, failing that, dont read them and your issue is solved.

I definitely think you can justifying cautioning it - maybe USB other.
Agreed, I was taught this right back in my introductory course. The expected procedure is that we should be asking for a player's name when issuing a card and not relying on team sheets. If he refuses to give it, you get the captain in and give him a chance to keep it at 11v11, if he doesn't help you out then it's second yellow, red and be prepared to abandon as a stubborn player who won't give his name may well refuse to leave the FOP as well.

I didn't think that was a particularly controversial procedure?

Whether the decision was right or wrong that is not the issue. A child being abused and bullied by club officials to the point of ending up in tears and a league chairman making things worse with his actions condoning the behaivour is the point, or have we got the stage where a bad decision by us leaves us open to abuse? Sorry Miley but the refs decision is not the issue we can not go down the route the ref made a wrong call lets abuse as its ok.

Whether the decision was right or wrong that is not the issue. A child being abused and bullied by club officials to the point of ending up in tears and a league chairman making things worse with his actions condoning the behaivour is the point, or have we got the stage where a bad decision by us leaves us open to abuse? Sorry Miley but the refs decision is not the issue we can not go down the route the ref made a wrong call lets abuse as its ok.

That is not my view point on it. As much as fellow referees dont like to hear it though, and only if its my opinion and nobody elses, it once again reaffirms by belief that if you get things wrong, you leave yourself open to more stick

You cant go around simply sending folk off, (am guessing in this case, wrongly)

No chance am I saying its ok to abuse the guy, totally not. That is nowhere near the point am making

my point, again, is, I link referee's getting stick, to, referees's making incorrect calls.
And this incident reads as such to me.

Back