A&H

Ipswich penalty versus Birmingham City

happy whistler

Level 7 Referee
What are refs views on this one.
Whilst technically a foul ball had long been crossed prior to contact. Happens a lot but not usually penalised, same as if shot is taken in box and sliding challenge/ block makes contact after shot has been completed.

The Referee Store
Seems a pretty straight-forward penalty to me. Just because the ball is already gone doesn't mean it's not a foul (unless the ball has already gone over the goal line which was not the case here).

Agree with it being an obvious penalty.

What a stupid challenge from the defender, stay on your feet for goodness sake. Respect to the striker for not making a meal of it.

No such thing as obvious @SM :p

Was there an appeal? Was there a reaction? Game seemed flat. Ipswich said it was a gift.

Just run past the defender and say, "Lucky there lad" - Then he buys you a pint after the game. ;)

What are refs views on this one.
Whilst technically a foul ball had long been crossed prior to contact. Happens a lot but not usually penalised, same as if shot is taken in box and sliding challenge/ block makes contact after shot has been completed.
I think you see it sometimes if a defender has attempted a block and then there is contact (as wrong as it maybe). But here the defender has clearly slid into a tackle towards the ball and player, missed the ball, taken out the player... easy penalty decision surely

Its back to the old PA debate ......anywhere else on the pitch that challenge was is Reckless

You see it every week strikers being Clattered late after a shot and the penalty rarely comes !

this is the only reason people are making a song and dance about

The Ref had the bottle to give it Many don't

Well Done Referee

I presume we're all in agreeance that it would be a FK anywhere else on the field?

So why isn't this a PK? And we all know that this would almost never be a PK.

I awarded a similar PK in my final season. And it wasn't reckless, careless at worst. Took out the player's leg and brought him down, but not hard. Even as I was blowing the whistle I thought it was the wrong decision - but why?

No such thing as obvious @SM :p

Was there an appeal? Was there a reaction? Game seemed flat. Ipswich said it was a gift.

Just run past the defender and say, "Lucky there lad" - Then he buys you a pint after the game. ;)

That's just one of many problems with refereeing - we should be able to make a decision without an appeal (especially as, at grassroots in particular, players won't appeal for everything)

Even as I was blowing the whistle I thought it was the wrong decision - but why?
Because you know in your mind that this "sort foul " is going to lead to a goal in most cases .

That is not our problem , its down to the players

And the other point ....if you don't give the soft ones players start diving to make sure they are given !

Making our job even harder

Because you know in your mind that this "sort foul " is going to lead to a goal in most cases .

That is not our problem , its down to the players

And the other point ....if you don't give the soft ones players start diving to make sure they are given !

Making our job even harder

Which goes back to my point. If this is a foul anywhere on the field, why not in the PA? And yet it's such an accepted practice to see this sort of foul that even the attacker copping the late hit usually won't say anything (though when he does, we don't really have much we can respond with).

Which goes back to my point. If this is a foul anywhere on the field, why not in the PA? And yet it's such an accepted practice to see this sort of foul that even the attacker copping the late hit usually won't say anything (though when he does, we don't really have much we can respond with).
I agree ;)

just out of interest what does everyone do for a prematch warm up, how long what excecises, sensible answers would be appreciated lol
was merely emphasising the point .....as myself and Capt have had a few disagreements over the last week or so :)

I presume we're all in agreeance that it would be a FK anywhere else on the field?

So why isn't this a PK? And we all know that this would almost never be a PK.

I awarded a similar PK in my final season. And it wasn't reckless, careless at worst. Took out the player's leg and brought him down, but not hard. Even as I was blowing the whistle I thought it was the wrong decision - but why?

That's just one of many problems with refereeing - we should be able to make a decision without an appeal (especially as, at grassroots in particular, players won't appeal for everything)

So what's stopping you? I've only heard one person here mention that because there was no appeal for the pen, it shouldn't be given and I think he's dead wrong. This was a pen. Your match control will only suffer when you call it if you can't sell the call -- which you can if you try.

So what's stopping you? I've only heard one person here mention that because there was no appeal for the pen, it shouldn't be given and I think he's dead wrong. This was a pen. Your match control will only suffer when you call it if you can't sell the call -- which you can if you try.

No it's just your club marks that will suffer if you give a debatable penalty... Not your match cont

Back