A&H

Interesting game....

Yes agree with that, and that sometimes makes me wonder what support those very young referees that are having these problems are getting.
You know as well as I do that there just aren't enough bodies out there to provide the level of support needed for all of them. Older referees are writing up their reports from Saturday or refereeing junior football. Younger referees at a higher level are either enjoying their one lie in that week or refereeing Sunday League. I have major concerns about the viability of refereeing (and Sunday League football) in this country. The numbers participating have shrunk while the varieties of football have expanded, especially in junior football. Therefore the next challenge is to bridge that gap between juniors and open age. I'm hoping that those in junior football will earn their spurs before making the step up, so come equipped with management techniques.

The Referee Store
You know as well as I do that there just aren't enough bodies out there to provide the level of support needed for all of them. Older referees are writing up their reports from Saturday or refereeing junior football. Younger referees at a higher level are either enjoying their one lie in that week or refereeing Sunday League. I have major concerns about the viability of refereeing (and Sunday League football) in this country. The numbers participating have shrunk while the varieties of football have expanded, especially in junior football. Therefore the next challenge is to bridge that gap between juniors and open age. I'm hoping that those in junior football will earn their spurs before making the step up, so come equipped with management techniques.

Think that depends on the county. Every newly qualified referee here is offered a place at a professional club academy where they will be coached by senior referees or ex referees, obviously they don't have to take it but the offer is there. They will also get the offer of a mentor, and this will be one of the development group referees who are either striving for L4 or already there. Kind of a quid pro quo thing, the development group get a lot of support from county and the coaches so the expectation is they give something back.

We can't stop new referees chucking themselves straight into Sunday morning football but we are doing all that we can to avoid them having to.

I personally think that some 'older referees' cause problems for new refs coming through. I'm talking about the ones who have got to level 5, have no further assessments and just sit there year on year not willing to accept change they dont like. In the Sunday league I play in (I won't say the league as it'll be easy to work out the refs from there, 2 referees don't bother with the sin bin, one even saying to our team 'I hate referees who issue the sin bin'. I did report him to the FA however.

I personally think that some 'older referees' cause problems for new refs coming through. I'm talking about the ones who have got to level 5, have no further assessments and just sit there year on year not willing to accept change they dont like. In the Sunday league I play in (I won't say the league as it'll be easy to work out the refs from there, 2 referees don't bother with the sin bin, one even saying to our team 'I hate referees who issue the sin bin'. I did report him to the FA however.
Welcome back resident musical ref!
I agree. The poorest refereeing I've seen (excluding my Halloween befitting moments), has come from formerly decorated officials, demoted to L5, unfit, in their twilight years and no longer interested in Law or 'competencies'

Welcome back resident musical ref!
I agree. The poorest refereeing I've seen (excluding my Halloween befitting moments), has come from formerly decorated officials, demoted to L5, unfit, in their twilight years and no longer interested in Law or 'competencies'
That could be half the forum! 😂

Some of the younger refs coming through can cause problems for the Older refs too !

Back