A&H

Interesting game....

The Referee Store
Having watched a bit more from the game. The tackle from behind resulted in both players rightly seeing red (green for the horrendous tackle and red for pushing the ref). The ball actually hit the referee 2 seconds before it happened so I suppose we could argue that if he had blown up for a drop ball then it could be been avoided.

There's also a couple of incidents where the referee puts his hands onto the players in an effort to hold them back. He then (rightly) red cards the red player for pushing him in the back. Obviously, putting your hands on players and getting yourself in the middle of players during a flashpoint are very bad ideas!

This video also highlights why it's better to have no CARs imo. Lots of contentious decisions from one of the CARs leads to heightened tensions between both sets of players and that sub when he eventually comes on to the pitch. It's so much easier to deal with it yourself and just do your best from the middle. Just my opinion.

Interesting video to show the challenges OA footy can bring to referees and how to deal with situations

Looks like the situation escalated as the referee did not correctly sanction fouls.

The tackle from the blue player onto the red player from behind should have been a red card. The one before that was a yellow.

Memories, memories, memories..... and they say reffing a supply league game with some decent players and skills is harder than putting up with crap players like that!!! I think not!!!

In terms of the number of incidents and the severity of the incident, Sunday League is far more likely to be a tougher game for the ref (who will be on there own). For several years I played at both standards concurrently. The top Sunday Leagues in Manchester were made up of alot of the supply league players. Some used to get "cash in boots" as we used to refer to it and many of the older guys on here will remember. I played in Sunday League sides that were better than Supply League sides imo. But it was a different rule book on a Sunday morning in the players eyes. Some Sunday League players and teams still don't expect modern application of law is applicable to them on a Sunday morning. It was a different game with different expectations on Sunday Legaue,although fortunately that is beginning to change

That wasn’t every week but every Sunday league game had the potential for those Herberts to turn up. I did gain a great reputation to get those sort of games which had gone south first time around. The ref sec would change my game regularly to put me on the Neanderthal Derbies. Luckily when they saw me they though I was a fat version of Mike Dean (a distant cousin). My card count was large at one bit but dropped significantly as they knew what I wouldn’t put up with. In a strange way I sort of miss those games and not the doddle games, can’t say why....

Memories, memories, memories..... and they say reffing a supply league game with some decent players and skills is harder than putting up with crap players like that!!! I think not!!!

A different kind of challenge for sure. Still, I would prefer the Supply League challenge to this clusteryouknowwhat.

On two occasions I had far worse than anything on that, far far worse!
Only two? :)

putting your hands on players ... very bad ideas!
Not sure about a sweeping statement like that. Collina did it perfectly. A clip of Faghani pushing back Toni Kroos in the last world cup quick smart went viral too. Obviously it could backfire but not if you know what you are doing.

1572421555876.png

1572421465655.png

Only two? :)

Not sure about a sweeping statement like that. Collina did it perfectly. A clip of Faghani pushing back Toni Kroos in the last world cup quick smart went viral too. Obviously it could backfire but not if you know what you are doing.

View attachment 3797

View attachment 3796

I see the point you're making, but professional football is very different to local Sunday League. If you get as close as Colina does there you're likely to get a breath full of Carlsberg and a nose full of last night's powder. And I speak from 15 years playing in Manchester Sunday League with plenty of people who have have come straight from a night out or have had a line to keep themselves going. Real world I'm afraid.

I see the point you're making, but professional football is very different to local Sunday League. If you get as close as Colina does there you're likely to get a breath full of Carlsberg and a nose full of last night's powder. And I speak from 15 years playing in Manchester Sunday League with plenty of people who have have come straight from a night out or have had a line to keep themselves going. Real world I'm afraid.
I don't disagree. Even in grassroots, pick your time, know your players. There are players I wouldn't go closer than two yards at the best of times. And in most cases I wouldn't touch a player either. But there are times that I know I can safely and in a controlled way "put hands on them". For example there are times two players face off and they genuinely don't want to give an inch to each other but you can tell from their body language they are saying 'someone get me out of this' and you are the closet person.

I've become good FB friends with a 6'6'' CH that i reffed during his career. he's wouldn't look out of place in Japan, I was the ONLY referee that booked him in his career. I couldn't imagine a 16 year old reffing some of the games I did, it takes practice and some big cahoonas to face some of these lads off and earn their respect.

I've become good FB friends with a 6'6'' CH that i reffed during his career. he's wouldn't look out of place in Japan, I was the ONLY referee that booked him in his career. I couldn't imagine a 16 year old reffing some of the games I did, it takes practice and some big cahoonas to face some of these lads off and earn their respect.

You're generalising again I'm afraid. I've seen 16 and 17 year old fresh looking referees perfectly manage Sunday morning games at the likes of Hackney Marshes and have total respect from the players. They've earned that respect by getting the decisions correct, which is infinitely more important than your age, size, etc.

Conversely I've seen many more older and much more experienced referees make a total horlicks of Sunday morning games.

Remember that young referees have much more support available to them than they used to. In many counties now the days of them hitting Sunday morning games straight after qualifying are gone, and rather they will have come through academies where they will have been coached and mentored.

You're generalising again I'm afraid. I've seen 16 and 17 year old fresh looking referees perfectly manage Sunday morning games at the likes of Hackney Marshes and have total respect from the players. They've earned that respect by getting the decisions correct, which is infinitely more important than your age, size, etc.

Conversely I've seen many more older and much more experienced referees make a total horlicks of Sunday morning games.

Remember that young referees have much more support available to them than they used to. In many counties now the days of them hitting Sunday morning games straight after qualifying are gone, and rather they will have come through academies where they will have been coached and mentored.
I'm not saying they can't do it, some will be absolutely fine and as you say some older chaps struggle too. Let's say its not ideal, but possible to swim with the sharks from the very start!!! We get some car crash stories on here sometimes from refs clearly not ready to make that jump...

I'm not saying they can't do it, some will be absolutely fine and as you say some older chaps struggle too. Let's say its not ideal, but possible to swim with the sharks from the very start!!! We get some car crash stories on here sometimes from refs clearly not ready to make that jump...

Yes agree with that, and that sometimes makes me wonder what support those very young referees that are having these problems are getting.

Fair play to the ref for the red card for the push on him.
A lot of people would have bottled it.
That adjacent pitch is far too close. All those spectators and subs basically standing on the touchline is a nightmare

Back