A&H

Injury procedure

Tom_R

Level 5 Referee
I’m 15 so am only refereeing youth football. Almost all injuries receive treatment should players leave the pitch until after the restart? Should this be done in adult football too or is it only necessary from a certain level?

The Referee Store
I’m 15 so am only refereeing youth football. Almost all injuries receive treatment should players leave the pitch until after the restart? Should this be done in adult football too or is it only necessary from a certain level?

Personally, I like to get in the habit of making the player leave if treatment has been received youth or not (100% on adult football). Two reasons - 1. It’s in the laws so is good practice, 2. It usually cuts any time wasting from players if they know that they are going to have to go off. Any arguments from players coaches it’s an easy sell because it’s the laws!

I had a mentor watch one of my early games, which I think was U14/U15. I sent the player to the sideline briefly after an injury and, after the game, the mentor told not to bother at youth matches 🤷‍♂️.

What do people do in terms of stopping youth game for injuries when it is not head or serious?

At the weekend in my u14 game had a couple of times where I didn’t stop play because it was not serious, but it kind of feels a bit harsh at this age, they were not trying to feign injury.

What do people do in terms of stopping youth game for injuries when it is not head or serious?

At the weekend in my u14 game had a couple of times where I didn’t stop play because it was not serious, but it kind of feels a bit harsh at this age, they were not trying to feign injury.
If either team is on the attack/ in a promising position a play on unless they’re holding their head.

Again, I would be inclined to follow the laws here as much as possible .. i.e play on unless deemed serious or head. Yes I would probably stop play if not promising attack and neutral area of pitch.

You often get the shout from the concerned mother ‘he is on the floor ref’ yes thanks I can see, so what…

Again, I would be inclined to follow the laws here as much as possible .. i.e play on unless deemed serious or head. Yes I would probably stop play if not promising attack and neutral area of pitch.

You often get the shout from the concerned mother ‘he is on the floor ref’ yes thanks I can see, so what…
Yep, I normally wave a hand in the general direction of the shout or the player and shout “I’ve seen it” or “I’m coming back”.

Did he tell you which other laws not to bother with at youth level?

Follow the law. If it's not serious you don't stop play. However what constitutes 'serious' is determined by the referee and this could depend on some factors including the level of game and age group's. For me some things that may not constitute serious at an adult game would constitute as serious in a youth game. Similar when comparing professional games to grassroot games.

Did he tell you which other laws not to bother with at youth level?

Follow the law. If it's not serious you don't stop play. However what constitutes 'serious' is determined by the referee and this could depend on some factors including the level of game and age group's. For me some things that may not constitute serious at an adult game would constitute as serious in a youth game. Similar when comparing professional games to grassroot games.
Fair Point. We’ve also got to be careful at youth level with safeguarding of players.

Context again. Local 11 and under grassroots, unless there’s a tap in, I’m probably stopping play for any minor injury. The parents are there. It’s what everybody wants.

Compare with u9 final with ”name” portuguese teams and 200 screaming fans with banners and the lot - and a non-stop stream of diving, whining and play acting - I’m ”leaving bodies”! I did! Ok, there had to be some stoppages for heads etc. but a lot of ”get up”. It was suitable for that match.

I think I got the balance right for this particular game, the two incidents the players were up and running fine, but a bit later one poor lad got a ball peltered into the *** region 100mph at point blank range and was in visible pain. Stopped play, coaches on with an ice pack for a few minutes and he walked off (use that term loosely) to be replaced, meaning I didn't have to ask him to leave.

Reactions: one
My threshold for 'serious' is much lower for youth games. at U10 if they go down and I don't think they're faking it I'm likely to stop unless there's a possibility of a shot.

Quite often U10 players really do fake it, not as a way of stopping play or to win a foul but because they're annoyed they lost the ball and want to make out it wasn't their fault because they were hurt. I've got a couple on the team I coach who do this quite a lot. One of them is my son.

I had a mentor watch one of my early games, which I think was U14/U15. I sent the player to the sideline briefly after an injury and, after the game, the mentor told not to bother at youth matches
I've always understood this protocol was even more relevant for younger players to safeguard against injuries.

I've always understood this protocol was even more relevant for younger players to safeguard against injuries.
Depends on the “injury.” The overwhelming proportion of “injuries“ that stop play in youth games aren’t significant. And the requirement to leave the game has nothing to do with player protection—it was adopted to have a disincentive for players to feign or exaggerate injuries.

You won’t really find my youth players faking an injury. They just want to get up and play. They’re not really sharp enough to look at stopping the other team playing etc. you’ll get a feel from the contact made, if it looks like it could have hurt, even if a good challenge just blow and then give drop ball. It’s not Pro football. Don’t be the ref that let a game keep going when a young kid had a broken ankle. It won’t go down well. You’ll rarely get shouted at for looking after kids

Last edited:
If the player has received treatment, then he must leave the pitch. If he's only been assessed, as in just checking if there ok, then I let them stay on the pitch.

Back