A&H

Incorrect awarding of a corner

WiisardNic

So, as I have mentioned in another post or two, I have not yet become a referee, but am looking to do so in the Australian grassroots offseason. As such, I'm sort of going through my memories of times when I've thought a referee has made the wrong call, and wanted to discuss such instances.

This was during a local first-grade game where the Home Team (Blues) defeated the Away Team (Whites) 1-0. Midway through the second half, at 0-0, Whites had a promising attack down the left flank, and just made their way into the penalty area, when Whites player on the ball was taken out on a sliding tackle by a Blues defender, who then collected the ball on the way past. The referee then sent off the Blues defender, but awarded a corner as "the ball had gone out of play".

The sending off would make sense if it was an off the ball incident, but it was an on-the-ball challenge, so seemed like it should have been a penalty, yeah? (Or DFK if it was just outside the penalty area)

The Referee Store
I can give you three possibilities.

Is it possible that the defender made contact with the ball first and the ball went out before the defender made contact with the attacker? this means the referee was right.
There is the possibility of the referee bottling the penalty decision thinking it is too harsh to both send the defender off and award a penalty which is of course is incorrect in law.
It is also possible that the referee doesn't know the law of penalising the first offence or if at the same time the more serious offence. I find this unlikely for a referee who has been given the 1st grade game.

I can give you three possibilities.

Is it possible that the defender made contact with the ball first and the ball went out before the defender made contact with the attacker? this means the referee was right.
There is the possibility of the referee bottling the penalty decision thinking it is too harsh to both send the defender off and award a penalty which is of course is incorrect in law.
It is also possible that the referee doesn't know the law of penalising the first offence or if at the same time the more serious offence. I find this unlikely for a referee who has been given the 1st grade game.

Of the three possibilities, I'd honestly lean more towards the third. Although, I've bolded the first to ask a bit more of a follow up:

Can a tackle like that be split up into two different incidents? I'm guessing in that instance, red card is for SFP or VC, since the tackle would be deemed clean? I would have thought since it's all in one action, that its part of the tackle, not considered 'off the ball'

Of the three possibilities, I'd honestly lean more towards the third. Although, I've bolded the first to ask a bit more of a follow up:

Can a tackle like that be split up into two different incidents? I'm guessing in that instance, red card is for SFP or VC, since the tackle would be deemed clean? I would have thought since it's all in one action, that its part of the tackle, not considered 'off the ball'
Yes it is rare but it could happen. I have seen a few video clips that the ball is played by a defender clean and after the ball has travelled a good few meters the follow up of the take makes excessive force contact. It is SFP as it is part of the challenge. for the ball. The moment of the tackle is when contact is made with the player and if the ball is not in play in that moment, the restart is depends on how the ball went out of play which happened first.

Agree that it is rare but possible, at least theoretically. But I agree that it is more likely the R was either looking for an excuse to not give the PK, or momentarily confused.

Can a tackle like that be split up into two different incidents? I'm guessing in that instance, red card is for SFP or VC, since the tackle would be deemed clean?

If it's for a tackle or challenge for the ball that endangers the opponent it'll be SFP. VC is for using or attempting to use excessive force or brutality when not challenging for the ball

Back