A&H

Inconsistent Shirt design

Paulie

Level 7 Referee
Law 4 doesnt mention anything about consistency in players kit?

Recent Grassroots game saw 7no players in white and red hoops and 3no in white shirts with red short sleeves (+GK).

The opposition had 9no in red shirts with black sleeves and 1no player in all Red.

Bibs weren't available and both managers happy to play. Ironically, the player in all red shirt was the most problematic for me.

Im sure the clubs were running a risk of fines for lack of numbers on the back but I am not sure where matters stand with regards to shirt design?

The Referee Store

Recent Grassroots game saw 7no players in white and red hoops and 3no in white shirts with red short sleeves (+GK).

The opposition had 9no in red shirts with black sleeves and 1no player in all Red.

Bibs weren't available and both managers happy to play. Ironically, the player in all red shirt was the most problematic for me.

Im sure the clubs were running a risk of fines for lack of numbers on the back but I am not sure where matters stand with regards to shirt design?
I'd report anyway. Likelihood is that clubs will be told in comp rules kits must be distinguishable from opponent and usually dictates which team should change in event of a clash.
Further to that I think its common sense players should wear the same. And again comp rules will normally dictate players shirts should be numbered.

I make sure one of the first questions I ask when I've been asked to do a game is shirt colours to make sure there is no clash.
Maybe this is something you could do if you don't already to avoid you having issues during the game.

There are certainly rules about distinguishable kits / kit clashes between competing teams and fines for failing to provide unique shirt numbers but I cant find anything about consistent kit amongst the same team. I feel like Im missing something otherwise you could have one team in a mix of blue and yellow shirts and the other in a mix of red and green shirts??
I have no wish to report anyone - its hard enough for most grass roots teams but I was left questioning myself

There are certainly rules about distinguishable kits / kit clashes between competing teams and fines for failing to provide unique shirt numbers but I cant find anything about consistent kit amongst the same team. I feel like Im missing something otherwise you could have one team in a mix of blue and yellow shirts and the other in a mix of red and green shirts??
I have no wish to report anyone - its hard enough for most grass roots teams but I was left questioning myself
Unfortunately, there's no way of getting round it - as a referee, you will sometimes be obliged to report things. Sometimes, that's cautions/dismissals, other times it's avoidable administrative mistakes, like this. Give teams an opportunity to fix their mistakes, warn them if possible before putting in the report, but never be afraid to do it.

Competitions require clubs to register their colours (home and away, if different) so a report to the competition is needed.

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I have little doubt that the clubs involved have registered their colours but comments above have confirmed that Law 4 doesnt require the style to be registered. The modern kit designs are becoming so mixed now, with graded colour ways, different fronts to backs, different coloured sleeves etc, a simple red and white shirt is no longer 'simple'.
I have added a comment to my match comms to request a full set of bibs be made available in the event that there is any variation in the shirt design of each team.

Really appreciate the help. Have often found myself looking for opinion and know where to come now!

This isn't so much laws of the game but rather competition rules. Many leagues will have a question on the referee report form as to whether both teams had correct kit.

Bibs are not the answer, if for no other reason the rule that says shirts must be numbered is broken as you can't see them. Don't be afraid to report clubs, if you don't someone else will in future games. Also, as an ex-RefsSec if I got reports of kit problems I'd be asking the previous referees whether they'd seen the same problem, and if so why they hadn't reported it.

What does 7no 9no and 3no mean?

Reactions: one
Lets try to think about how Australia's early 1990's spew kit was handled: Because of the way it was made, every single shirt had an inconsistent design

Back