A&H

Importance of corner flags

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ball hit the corner flag in yesterday's game. I was AR2. And, to be honest, we (the three of us) were very good. I am over the moon. A bunch of tight offsides. No "mistakes". Super smooth throughout. And the ball hit the corner flag -at last!

Send a copy of the game to Collina he may keep u on standby ;)

The Referee Store
Send a copy of the game to Collina he may keep u on standby ;)
AR1 is a star. And 25 years younger than me! Really helps when you have total confidence in the others. The ref I know well - (ooooh pen to Ron for the dive!!!) - and he had the ideal strict line for the level we were at (4th tier of minor nation)... but yeah my phone is turned up;)

Ball hit the corner flag in Morocco vs Iran last night and almost bounced back in play. Just went out for a TI.

It is a caution because he is deliberately removing a part of the field. Same reason that a player who removed the netting from the goal would be cautioned.

There's no way I'm booking a player for removing a corner flag unless I'm deliberately trying to lose all respect. If the player refuses to replace the flag, then that's different

The LOTG require corner flags; therefore flags must be replaced before the restart can occur. Therefore, the player who removes the flag has delayed the restart. That's a caution. Note, of course, that I did not say that it was mandatory. Furthermore, what is the need of removing the corner flag?

It cold be a minor issue when pitches are shoehorned into smaller parks areas where there may bushes or small walls near to corner flags etc. I’ve seen corner takers take them out as they believe them to be in the way! Obviously they retake it with the flag in place should be the answer. I don’t think I’ve carded for it as common sense prevails and it’s done correctly!

Actually the reason why flags are compulsory and nets are not is historical rather than technical. When the Laws were first written in 1863 the mention of the pitch said "the length and breadth shall be marked off with flags". Notice, no touchlines then, merely flags. When painted lines were first mentioned in 1883, the phrase about marking length and breadth with flags was not struck out. So there they stayed, until in the mid 1890's they were written in as corner flags. Goal nets however, invented in 1891 by a Mr Brodie, were an idea that only slowly came into favour (many schools, even in 1950's did not use them). So they got written into league rules rather than the Laws proper.

It's in the net

What finer sight is there than the ripple of the net as a goal is scored? Even the sound of the leather skimming across the nylon is tantalising. Yet, when football was first played, there were no nets. This led to arguments as to whether a goal had been scored or not, until a Liverpool engineer, John Alexander Brodie, decided to design 'a huge pocket' for the goal.

The world's first footballer ever to 'put the ball in back of the net' was Geary of Everton, at a trial game in Nottingham, England, in January 1891. The referee that day, incidentally, was Sam Widdowson, the man who invented shin pads. The first Cup Final to use nets was played at the Oval in 1892 between West Bromwich Albion and the Villa. Even in the modern Laws, nets are still not a compulsory item, but are mentioned as a necessity in nearl

It's in the net

What finer sight is there than the ripple of the net as a goal is scored? Even the sound of the leather skimming across the nylon is tantalising. Yet, when football was first played, there were no nets. This led to arguments as to whether a goal had been scored or not, until a Liverpool engineer, John Alexander Brodie, decided to design 'a huge pocket' for the goal.

The world's first footballer ever to 'put the ball in back of the net' was Geary of Everton, at a trial game in Nottingham, England, in January 1891. The referee that day, incidentally, was Sam Widdowson, the man who invented shin pads. The first Cup Final to use nets was played at the Oval in 1892 between West Bromwich Albion and the Villa. Even in the modern Laws, nets are still not a compulsory item, but are mentioned as a necessity in nearl

As ususl, I have a diff view. Nets mean hee haw
Without me intending to cause pain over a goal not being given, Englands, to use an example which we can relate too, two biggest goal controvesarys have been, WC 66 and Lampards shot v Germany
On both occasions, the absence of presence of a net meant nothing

As ususl, I have a diff view. Nets mean hee haw
Without me intending to cause pain over a goal not being given, Englands, to use an example which we can relate too, two biggest goal controvesarys have been, WC 66 and Lampards shot v Germany
On both occasions, the absence of presence of a net meant nothing
9E058035-7569-4B45-82D7-BD4E7B6DFC55.jpeg
Did you keep the samples we donated in 1977 Kylie? :p

I centered 3 games solo two weeks ago on a hay field that hadn't been lined in weeks. Couldn't see the lines unless you were on top of them. We had no flags in the first game, and it was impossible to even have an idea if the ball was off the pitch. 2nd game, coach had some cones we put out, so at least I had some idea about where the field ended.
Have to say - after that set of games, I'd gladly give up nets for corner flags :)

Can anybody please tell me the reason behind nets?

The goal is scored when whole of ball blah blah blah....whether or not it hits the net is immaterial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back