A&H

Im a qualified ref, ref!

I must admit I had this not long ago when a U16 team manager took his players back to the changing rooms for the half time team talk... The other manager complained that it was only 10 mins (to be fair the home manger was back out within 6) but I tried to assure him it was 15.
He might have been right but there was no clear indication on the TGFA website.

The Referee Store
Our league rules state no less than 5, no longer than 16. I'll just go again once both teams are ready.

@CallumRushton13 yup basically states 5 minutes unless otherwise agreed with the ref before kick off. At youth level both teams tend to be fairly prompt so not an issue. I'm also not too harsh as I'll get the ball back on the centre spot, trot over to my bag and grab a drink then check my watch, so all in all give them a little over 5 minutes if they choose to take it. Had this same team earlier in the season and literally wouldnt come out of their dressing room. Unlucky for them they've annoyed me so their player who didnt have his kit on who delayed the start of the game means they'll be getting a double fine this week. Its the only way they'll learn!

I'm with you @jack.prescott

Once one team lines up the other normally follows, but these lot just sat there with me blowing my whistle and shouting at them. Which gets on my nerves as it makes me annoyed with them, and I hate anything that could sway my judgement. No matter my previous experiences with teams I go to a match with a clean slate thinking they might have just had an off day before which is why I had whatever problem I had with them in the past, on the hope as a ref teams give me that chance. But just sitting there ignoring me at half time, just makes them get on my nerves and thats never a good state of mind to be in. Obviously I would never deliberately go out to favour one team, but them acting like that could affect how people referee them.

In the US it only states in most Comp Rules that it needs to be 5-15 mins. Nothing about referee's discresion but I personally want to get back to the action as soon as possible. Most teams agree, so normally don't have a problem. Never had a team use more than 10 mins, and certainly never had a team use a changing room for halftime, but that must be a US thing. XP

West Sussex Football League handbook

(H)The half time interval shall be of five (5) minutes duration, but it shall not exceed (15) fifteen minutes. The half time interval may only be altered with the consent of the referee.

@haywain precisely the same wording for the league I'm on. Although its states "prior consent of the referee". They were sat there with big whiteboard charts and moaning they are trying to develop the players so need longer to go over everything. In reality they forced their team to play every single goal kick and freekick short, meaning it was constant blind panic with the other team pressing them so high up the pitch.

I had an interesting one a couple of weeks ago:

Guy who was with home team (some sort of physio/assistant) was generally nice guy.

Asked him for subs names which he gave, I offered him flag and before I had chance to say in/out of play only please he takes flag and says 'I'll have to give this to somebody else, I'm a level 7 red myself so I'd have to give everything, I can't just do in and out of play'.

He wasn't funny about it or anything, but I did find it odd.

I had issues with the home team bench the previous time I refer the same club, they couldn't grasp I needed one on each side of the pitch.

Sure enough 10 minutes in their newly nominated CAR threw his toys out the pram because I dared to overrule the direction of a throw in, and put the flag down with the 'there's no point, he doesn't listen'.

I reminded them they decided to forfeit their right to a CAR the next time they disagreed with a decision on their side.:D

Strange reaction from the guy whose a qualified ref. You'd think he would understand better that you'd only want certain things from them!

Had an old boy run the line for me the other week. I thought here we go, he'll barely keep up with play. Nicest bloke ever. Said he runs the line as he watches his grandson play (was u17) and running the line helps distract him from the game as he gets too involved and vocal when he just watches. Found out later he was an ex football league referee! He was a right stickler for corners being in the arc!

The best one I have had is two seasons ago when a player told me "I know, my neighbor is the president of the referees".

I love this thread. Funny thing as a player myself (sort of) I do this all the time, but of course I'm always right.

My best one, I had a County Cup match last season which the home team were losing, and the net kept coming away from the post, which (of course) led to them questioning whether one of the goals actually did go in.

One of the parents watching, who was "a qualified ref" told me that I had to abandon the game as the nets weren't attached properly and couldn't be fixed, and you "have to have nets in all matches". I told him nets were not required in the LOTG and therefore he was wrong and we could remove them at half time if agreed, he went mental telling me I was utterly wrong and made a massive issue which ended up with the manager and all of the other parents coming on the pitch and telling me their 'expert' must be right. I always keep the LOTG book in my bag, so I pulled it out and showed them the Law.

Obviously I was aware there was nothing additional in the competition rules to overrule this.

Cue smug face.

Reading our County Cup rules (below) it would seem that we should play the game if any of the appurtenances are missing ... does this mean the actual goalposts themselves !?!?!?

http://www.essexfa.com/~/media/countysites/essexfa/documents/cups-and-reps/county-cup-rules.ashx
In accordance with the Laws of the Game, the responsibility for ensuring that the appurtenances are fitted shall be that of the Club on whose ground the game is played. A fine of ten pounds (£10) shall be imposed if the appurtenances are not provided, or if they are not fitted to the satisfaction of the Referee. Goal nets must be provided. The absence of the appurtenances shall not prevent the match being played.

Right lads, jumpers for goal posts, Game on!

I once started a game using 4 subs as the corner flags ... perhaps we could also use subs / spectators as the goal posts if we get stuck ...

Back