A&H

Im a qualified ref, ref!

HertsFinest

Next Weeks Ref
I know this has come up a few times but I have a couple of peaches to share from today:

CAR for away side (absolute tool of a man) comes up to me and says I am rude and arrogant for over ruling him flagging for a foul throw (despite me telling him pre match I want in out and offisde only). During his whinge he tells me "I am a qualified ref and you missed a blatant yellow card for the penalty, the player came in from behind so it HAS to be a yellow, I am a qualified ref and have an average score of 97%" - When i mentioned the words careless reckless and excessive force, you could almost see the cogs in his head spin as he tried to comprehend these words. Qualified my jacksie.

Seconod one:

Player in the book for dissent (upon second warning to which he turned round and walked off during the talking to, hence 3rd strike and out), says to me "Im a level 12 referee (LEVEL 12?!) and you cant book someone for moaning unless they call you a name and even then you have to give them 5 warnings before you book then"

That is borderline the funniest thing I have heard on a football pitch to date!

Third one:

CAR flags for offside from a throw in (you remember that CAR from earlier with the score of 97%?). Player shouts that you cant be offside from a throw in and the opposition left back shouts "you can if its in the attacking third, im a referee"

The mind boggles

The Referee Store
Yep, really can't figure out the need to blatantly lie like that.
it's a bit like how starting a sentence with 'I'm not a racist, but...' is basically a warning that the next thing they say is going to be extremely racist.

"I'm a referee...." is warning that the next thing they'll say is incredibly stupid!

Usually it's actually things I know referees do get wrong....accidental handling when the ball falls at the player's feet, every PK is a YC, etc etc. Yours are just bizarre. Why would people lie like that?

There should be a separate report form for stupidity. It should be very colourful and you have to write it in crayon so when they get a copy they can understand it better.

Oh and you have to leave space so they can draw a picture.

yes-this-is-dog-i-can-referee.jpg

I've had a "qualified ref" try to flag an attacker offside after he received the ball from defender and then moan at me when I did penalise his attacker who was offside but who received the ball after ball had hit a defender.

My other favourites are "I know a ref and they told me......" the best two from that dubious source are

1) GK handling ball outside the box is always a red card
2) If penalty mark is not to the liking of the taker he can take the penalty nearby if he likes.

I know this has come up a few times but I have a couple of peaches to share from today:

CAR for away side (absolute tool of a man) comes up to me and says I am rude and arrogant for over ruling him flagging for a foul throw (despite me telling him pre match I want in out and offisde only). During his whinge he tells me "I am a qualified ref and you missed a blatant yellow card for the penalty, the player came in from behind so it HAS to be a yellow, I am a qualified ref and have an average score of 97%" - When i mentioned the words careless reckless and excessive force, you could almost see the cogs in his head spin as he tried to comprehend these words. Qualified my jacksie.

Seconod one:

Player in the book for dissent (upon second warning to which he turned round and walked off during the talking to, hence 3rd strike and out), says to me "Im a level 12 referee (LEVEL 12?!) and you cant book someone for moaning unless they call you a name and even then you have to give them 5 warnings before you book then"

That is borderline the funniest thing I have heard on a football pitch to date!

Third one:

CAR flags for offside from a throw in (you remember that CAR from earlier with the score of 97%?). Player shouts that you cant be offside from a throw in and the opposition left back shouts "you can if its in the attacking third, im a referee"

The mind boggles
Hes in FUTSAL mode methinks........... You misheard i think... he actually said " i think i'm a referee because i watch match of the day replays, and i live on level 12 in a block of flats and i am on the 3rd floor......

1) GK handling ball outside the box is always a red card

Had this on my first ever open age game. The CAR asking if I was even a qualified ref as a keeper handling outside the area is an immediate red card. I said I'd not heard that one before and he informed me the rule change had been made that week!

That would be garbage in Futsal as well!!

The worst thing about the 'I'm a referee' players - and sometimes they either a) are a referee but don't have a clue about the laws or what they're doing, or 2) spent 1 year refereeing way back when he was 14 and never got moved off anything bigger than U/9

But then the players on the team all hang off his word, and I can't convinced them otherwise.....'doesn't matter if it's accidental handball, it's still a free kick if he stops it, he's a ref and that's what he said' /facepalm

I hold my hands up and admit to playing and being the "I'm a ref person"
I only ever did it once, in my last game playing before taking up the whistle fully. The ref was a complete idiot. Turned up 5 minutes before KO, looked like he didn't want to be there, :poop: pre match with the teams.
Then in the game he stopped his watch every time the ball went out.
We played 55 minutes in the first half (should've been 40), so mid way through the second I asked him if he stopped the watch when the ball went out and he said yeah, so I politely told him that he shouldn't be doing that and should only stop for injuries etc. he didn't listen, completely denied it so I told him to phone the RDO after the game to clarify it. He refused in a very arrogant kind of way, so I proceeded to tell him that I was also a ref and a more experienced one than him.
I then added (just for good measure) " Well I'm off to referee one of the league cup finals this afternoon so I guess I'll see you there then"
This then prompted him to find a new position :)
May have been a bit harsh on one of our own but I really couldn't care less.

Had this on my first ever open age game. The CAR asking if I was even a qualified ref as a keeper handling outside the area is an immediate red card. I said I'd not heard that one before and he informed me the rule change had been made that week!

I know! I DID try and explain - said there were 7 red card offences and GK handling wasn't one of them - this particular example could never be construed as DOGSO by anyone!

I hold my hands up and admit to playing and being the "I'm a ref person"
I only ever did it once, in my last game playing before taking up the whistle fully. The ref was a complete idiot. Turned up 5 minutes before KO, looked like he didn't want to be there, :poop: pre match with the teams.
Then in the game he stopped his watch every time the ball went out.
We played 55 minutes in the first half (should've been 40), so mid way through the second I asked him if he stopped the watch when the ball went out and he said yeah, so I politely told him that he shouldn't be doing that and should only stop for injuries etc. he didn't listen, completely denied it so I told him to phone the RDO after the game to clarify it. He refused in a very arrogant kind of way, so I proceeded to tell him that I was also a ref and a more experienced one than him.
I then added (just for good measure) " Well I'm off to referee one of the league cup finals this afternoon so I guess I'll see you there then"
This then prompted him to find a new position :)
May have been a bit harsh on one of our own but I really couldn't care less.
if you were refereeing a league cup final in the afternoon what the heck were you doing playing in the morning

I'd've cautioned myself too but the ref had bottled most of the key decisions and so I knew I'd get away with it :)
if you were refereeing a league cup final in the afternoon what the heck were you doing playing in the morning
KO wasn't until 3 in the afternoon and it was only junior leagues.

I had a good one this weekend with a team moaning about how long half time was. I give 5 minutes (which upon checking is correct per the league handbook) they then argued it should be 15 minutes! 15 minutes at u13 level, they must be joking. Then the "level 6" manager spoke to me after the game assuring me it should be 15 minutes. I told him I believed it should be at least 5 minutes and can be up to 15 at the referees discretion (which annoyingly wasnt the precise wording from the handbook, but I did cover myself by saying I believed that was the case and not stating it as fact). He then as he began to rant about how he was trying to develop the kids game managed to chop and change saying half time should be 15 minutes and 10 minutes almost every sentence. Tool!

I'm sure it has to be 15 minutes if either team has requested it before KO... Otherwise it's whatever is stated in the league handbook

Back