A&H

IFAB AGM 133

The Referee Store
Had not thought of that ! Grass roots, you need run to one side to make sure Rat Player gets off safely, aswell as running to other side to check new subs boots/number/tape/nipple piercing, by which time Rat Player is out cold and just as you are about to restart the game, the other coach shouts, "ref, sub", and here we go again!!

I am just heading out to 2 games, will mentally try keep note of where sub should be going off in times to come and see how it feels.

U18s div 1 top of the table clash followed by an u16 semi final this morning. I'll obviously give handball as I see it during the current law and then consider how i will have to give it next year.

safe_image.php.jpeg
Thought for the day........Remember young uns, a problem shared on here is a problem halved!!!

Have been away for the weekend and hadn't had time to read the changes in detail. So let me get this right, a defender makes a goal line clearance on the line. An attacker on the ground (injured or just gone down after a challenge) completely unawares of where the ball is and what play is going on. The defender hits the ball hard and the attacker is a couple of meters away with the hand on the body. The ball mostly hits the attacker's body but also touches the hand and rebounds into the goal. Goal is disallowed because it was scored with an accidental handball?

Have been away for the weekend and hadn't had time to read the changes in detail. So let me get this right, a defender makes a goal line clearance on the line. An attacker on the ground (injured or just gone down after a challenge) completely unawares of where the ball is and what play is going on. The defender hits the ball hard and the attacker is a couple of meters away with the hand on the body. The ball mostly hits the attacker's body but also touches the hand and rebounds into the goal. Goal is disallowed because it was scored with an accidental handball?

It's what football wants apparently...

Another point I've seen raised about the new handball law is that attackers will be penalised by the new interpretation but defenders won't, which is absurd

Exactly

Earlier this season I was doing a cup game. Home team (reds) expected to win as a division higher than whites. 5 mins to go, whites pull it back to 3-2 (from 3-0) - a tense last five minutes ensue.

Last minute, white free kick lumped into the box, ball bounce in front of red defender who shapes to clear ball, but on a bobbly pitch it bounces awarkedly and hits defenders hand, before he hoofs it clear. Shouts of “Hanball” and “ penalty” from whites, waved away by me. Continued protests by whites until & after the final whistle.

They, whites, agreed it was accidental, agreed arm was by his side when it hit him, agreed ball hit hand, not hand to ball. “But he got an advantage, so it must be penalty” was their argument, with which I can sympathise, but I maintain I was right in law. *. Under the new rules, same outcome, but had the ball bobbled onto an attacking hand (and is then scored) I have to give a defensive free kick. Fair? Probably not.

* As an aside, I think what marks us out as different as referees as that we remember and analyse decisions days, weeks, months after the incident, whereas as soon as the first pint touches the lips, the players have long forgotten.

As would expect when was trying to get feel for something new, in neither of the two games today there was anything subby wise to dwell on, got a game tomorrow with ARs and tech areas so will try gauge it better then

one thing that has been playing on mind, is, esp games with a 4th, why not simply copy Rugby, and as long as the players are not involved in the play, and the 4th is happy, just sub when game is in progress.

Under the new rules, same outcome, but had the ball bobbled onto an attacking hand (and is then scored) I have to give a defensive free kick. Fair? Probably not.

Is this going to be a situation where it is safer to just call all instances of handball?

Think, accidental handball in the penalty area (defensive), cleared up the line, breakaway counter attack, goal. What do we give in that situation?

Exactly

Earlier this season I was doing a cup game. Home team (reds) expected to win as a division higher than whites. 5 mins to go, whites pull it back to 3-2 (from 3-0) - a tense last five minutes ensue.

Last minute, white free kick lumped into the box, ball bounce in front of red defender who shapes to clear ball, but on a bobbly pitch it bounces awarkedly and hits defenders hand, before he hoofs it clear. Shouts of “Hanball” and “ penalty” from whites, waved away by me. Continued protests by whites until & after the final whistle.

They, whites, agreed it was accidental, agreed arm was by his side when it hit him, agreed ball hit hand, not hand to ball. “But he got an advantage, so it must be penalty” was their argument, with which I can sympathise, but I maintain I was right in law. *. Under the new rules, same outcome, but had the ball bobbled onto an attacking hand (and is then scored) I have to give a defensive free kick. Fair? Probably not.

* As an aside, I think what marks us out as different as referees as that we remember and analyse decisions days, weeks, months after the incident, whereas as soon as the first pint touches the lips, the players have long forgotten.
Nah, some decisions as a player have left me scarred 😣

There's no doubt I already deal with offensive HBs differently from the defensive counterparts. A defender in the PA is hardly likely to handle the ball deliberately (although it does happen), whilst OPs will not hesitate to gain an advantage with nothing to lose. I'm an advocate of this level of 'safe refereeing' because it works for me. But the football world will struggle with this formalisation of what we already do. As for the silhouette business, this is just, 'unnatural position' badly regurgitated. IFAB have just muddied the already murky waters of HB 😒

If someone went into a coma 20 years ago and wakes up in a couple of years and goes to a top flight game, I wonder if they still recognise it as a football game.

I would just like to point out that this is a fallacy that people continually spout about football: as if the game went unchanged for 100 odd years and now people are suddenly messing around with it. In point of fact if someone woke up after a 20 year coma (from 1999) and saw today's game they would indeed be surprised by some changes.

But equally, if someone went into a coma in 1979 and woke up in 1999, what would they see?: Penalty shoot outs? Goalkeeper not allowed to pick up a ball kicked to him by a team mate? Keeper can take more than 4 steps holding the ball? Blatant offsides not given because of some rubbish about "active play"?

And if a player from 1959 went into a coma and woke up in 1979, what would he see that looked nothing like the football he knew? Strange red and yellow cards being waved around? Simple, fair, shoulder charges of goalkeeper (holding the ball) into the net being called fouls? Sissy players unable to last a game, being allowed to be "substituted"?

In point of fact major law changes have been continually introduced right back to the first Laws of 1863. Some highlights?

1938 A strange "D" shape added to the penalty area to be used in the rare case of penalty kicks (idiotic pedantry).
1936 Goal kicks now need to leave the penalty area to be in play (hmmm, they might change that back in 83 years or so).
1925 Offside, which for 59 years had needed 3 opponents to play a forward onside now changed to 2 (It has worked OK for almost a lifetime...)
1912 Goalkeepers, who had been allowed to handle the ball anywhere in their own half, confined to penalty area (this will ruin the game).
1902 A whole new set of pitch markings introduced with a strange oblong goal area (everyone knows the GA is kidney shaped)
1892 A new fangled "penalty kick" introduced (these idiots at the IFAB need to leave the game alone)

And prior to 1892 a whole raft of changes as the game took form: corner kicks; free kicks; the role of goalkeeper; throw ins in any direction not just at right angles; banning of "fair catch". The FA (with a major helping hand from the game in Sheffield), were continually moving the goalposts (not literally, that 8 yard distance has been there since day one, though we did later gain a tape - 1872, or crossbar -1882).

So let's not play the "they are changing the game I grew up with" card: they've been doing it for 156 years, and generally for the better. These new Laws may work well (like the "Back Pass" rule) or fizzle out (remember Golden Goals?), but constant change has always been part of the game, and I say good luck to it!

Last edited:
Napoli just took a gk fk which never left the box, ref correctly blew for retake and first person in refs face to moan "its not a goal kick ref", Ronaldo.

Why don't players or coaches know this? Touching on the above, I honest don't know if's always been the case because its far too much of a coincidence that in every game as referee you go for the retake, someone, will take issue with it.

I would just like to point out that this is a fallacy that people continually spout about football: as if the game went unchanged for 100 odd years and now people are suddenly messing around with it. In point of fact if someone woke up after a 20 year coma (from 1999) and saw today's game they would indeed be surprised by some changes.

But equally, if someone went into a coma in 1979 and woke up in 1999, what would they see?: Penalty shoot outs? Goalkeeper not allowed to pick up a ball kicked to him by a team mate? Keeper can take more than 4 steps holding the ball? Blatant offsides not given because of some rubbish about "active play"?

And if a player from 1959 went into a coma and woke up in 1979, what would he see that looked nothing like the football he knew? Strange red and yellow cards being waved around? Simple, fair, shoulder charges of goalkeeper (holding the ball) into the net being called fouls? Sissy players unable to last a game, being allowed to be "substituted"?

In point of fact major law changes have been continually introduced right back to the first Laws of 1863. Some highlights?

1938 A strange "D" shape added to the penalty area to be used in the rare case of penalty kicks (idiotic pedantry).
1936 Goal kicks now need to leave the penalty area to be in play (hmmm, they might change that back in 83 years or so).
1925 Offside, which for 59 years had needed 3 opponents to play a forward onside now changed to 2 (It has worked OK for almost a lifetime...)
1912 Goalkeepers, who had been allowed to handle the ball anywhere in their own half, confined to penalty area (this will ruin the game).
1902 A whole new set of pitch markings introduced with a strange oblong goal area (everyone knows the GA is kidney shaped)
1892 A new fangled "penalty kick" introduced (these idiots at the IFAB need to leave the game alone)

And prior to 1892 a whole raft of changes as the game took form: corner kicks; free kicks; the role of goalkeeper; throw ins in any direction not just at right angles; banning of "fair catch". The FA (with a major helping hand from the game in Sheffield), were continually moving the goalposts (not literally, that 8 yard distance has been there since day one, though we did later gain a tape - 1872, or crossbar -1882).

So let's not play the "they are changing the game I grew up with" card: they've been doing it for 156 years, and generally for the better. These new Laws may work well (like the "Back Pass" rule) or fizzle out (remember Golden Goals?), but constant change has always been part of the game, and I say good luck to it!
I take issue with this. We're entitled to gripe about changes we envisage as detrimental
Football has always been badly officiated. I see top level officials making basic mistakes routinely, just like they've always done. When the body responsible for the Laws makes questionable changes, we're entitled to call them out
I'm aware that as an entry-level ref, this will rub some esteemed colleagues up the wrong way, but overall refereeing standards worldwide are not acceptable because the Laws which underpin everything are amateurish and selectively ignored
Despite the propaganda, even VAR (which surely could only improve things) has been a right dogs dinner (Only the FA have come close to Minimal Interference). As a cat, I don't like dog food

Last edited:
I take issue with this. We're entitled to gripe about changes we envisage as detrimental
Football has always been badly officiated. I see top level officials making basic mistakes routinely, just like they've always done. When the body responsible for the Laws makes questionable changes, we're entitled to call them out
I'm aware that as an entry-level ref, this will rub some esteemed colleagues up the wrong way, but overall refereeing standards worldwide are not acceptable because the Laws which underpin everything are amateurish and selectively ignored
Despite the propaganda, even VAR (which surely could only improve things) has been a right dogs dinner (Only the FA have come close to Minimal Interference). As a cat, I don't like dog food

Before you take issue with what I said, it would be sensible to read it closely. I am certainly not saying we cannot gripe about changes. Gripe away. Some changes are good, some are bad, and analysis and criticism are healthy and useful. All I took issue with is the "why they are messing with the game" type of argument, that assumes making major Law changes is a modern disease.

However "amateurish" the Laws may seem, they have kept the game as the single most popular sport ever invented (by mankind, God invented sex) for a lifetime or two and they have have done it through constant change.

Napoli just took a gk fk which never left the box, ref correctly blew for retake and first person in refs face to moan "its not a goal kick ref", Ronaldo.

Why don't players or coaches know this? Touching on the above, I honest don't know if's always been the case because its far too much of a coincidence that in every game as referee you go for the retake, someone, will take issue with it.

Surely Ron has read the IFAB minutes and is taking the pith, I know I would be.

On the subs... surely it is not going to be mandatory to leave the field by the nearest touchline??? That just won't work, as said above. Even with four officials it will be a nightmare with multi-subs, let alone the fans etc... surely it will be up to the referee to decide... surely the idea is we now have the ability to force players off by the nearest touchline, surely...? If it's mandatory it's very silly!

Epic post!

Nothing wrong with the first set....

The first written set of laws were produced at the club's first annual general meeting on 21 October 1858. The original draft was amended at the same meeting to produce the following set of rules for the 1858–59 season.[12]
  1. The kick off from the middle must be a place kick.
  2. Kick out must not be more than 25 yards [23 m] out of goal.
  3. A fair catch is a catch from any player provided the ball has not touched the ground or has not been thrown from touch and is entitled to a free-kick.
  4. Charging is fair in case of a place kick (with the exception of a kick off as soon as a player offers to kick) but he may always draw back unless he has actually touched the ball with his foot.
  5. Pushing with the hands is allowed but no hacking or tripping up is fair under any circumstances whatever.
  6. No player may be held or pulled over.
  7. It is not lawful to take the ball off the ground (except in touch) for any purpose whatever.
  8. The ball may be pushed or hit with the hand, but holding the ball except in the case of a free kick is altogether disallowed.
  9. A goal must be kicked but not from touch nor by a free kick from a catch.
  10. A ball in touch is dead, consequently the side that touches it down must bring it to the edge of the touch and throw it straight out from touch.
  11. Each player must provide himself with a red and dark blue flannel cap, one colour to be worn by each side.

Back