A&H

IFAB 133rd ABM

The Referee Store
A couple of Man City games this season spring to mind. I've seen others but can't remember the details.
The irony here is that allowing DFKs and GKs to be passed to defenders in the box would benefit... exactly Man City! who want to play out from the back.

This law I would leave as is. Just like penalty kicks and rebounds... the GK restart is such an important part of the spectacle of football.

My question for the referees is: would you YC if a defender repeatedly stepped into the box to force a retake? Warn the first time, card the second for delay of game or USB?

cant recall this being used as time wasting either, not even on TV or that

What I would say though is, womens/girls football they tend to take short goal kicks, so maybe there is more to the thinking that we know

cant recall this being used as time wasting either, not even on TV or that

What I would say though is, womens/girls football they tend to take short goal kicks, so maybe there is more to the thinking that we know
I saw a few retakes in the U17s in Uruguay... maybe it's a plague in women's leagues?

I have not seen it though. The best women/girls games I have been involved in haven't involved pressing around the box...

If there is one tactic that needs addressing is keepers taking eons over releasing the ball, it hardly never gets sanctioned till the last 5 minutes in games. It’s obvious to everyone to see it and they need to make it quicker or chuck them in the book. It’s not a new law, it’s implementation of an existing stretched one...

Sorry, has anyone EVER seen this as a time wasting tactic?
Yes. On TV and in my game. Very rare I must add.

Also used to retake a goal kick if the defender receiving the ball feels he is being pressured by an opponent. He steps in to the PA to touch the ball. I have this probably once or twice a year.

U12 and U13 in Sydney (I think whole of Aus) have a 25 metre rule. They player 11v11 full pitch. All opponents must remain 25 metres away from the goal line after a goal kick until another defender has touched the ball. It's to encourage playing from the back.

U12 and U13 in Sydney (I think whole of Aus) have a 25 metre rule. They player 11v11 full pitch. All opponents must remain 25 metres away from the goal line after a goal kick until another defender has touched the ball. It's to encourage playing from the back.
We have something similar at U9 and U10 here in the states. We call it the buildout line. Some really low level leagues have the other team retreat to the halfway line at goalkicks for U11/U12.

We have something similar at U9 and U10 here in the states. We call it the buildout line. Some really low level leagues have the other team retreat to the halfway line at goalkicks for U11/U12.

Yip have used that here, retreat line we call it. And do school tournaments where the gk is discouraged from kicking from hand over the half way line...

A couple of Man City games this season spring to mind. I've seen others but can't remember the details.

And then again, it happened twice in succession in Today's Chelsea vs Fulham game, where Chelsea were trying to play out and Fulham were pressing high.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it
It ain't broke
Why not get tough on dissent and cheating? That's broke and even the Sin Bin idea (and the retrospective punishment for cheating a penalty) is tiptoeing around this stuff
The answer being, the Sponsors don't want players missing games

If it ain't broke, don't fix it
It ain't broke

Well given it happened in all three EPL games today, twice in two of them, I'd say there is evidence it is broken. In commentary Jamie Carragher admitted that he used to deliberately step into the area to get rid of any pressure, so it has been a problem for some time.

If a team wants to play out from the back there should have to take the risk that comes with it, but the current law allows them to use a loophole to get themselves out of trouble.

Well given it happened in all three EPL games today, twice in two of them, I'd say there is evidence it is broken. In commentary Jamie Carragher admitted that he used to deliberately step into the area to get rid of any pressure, so it has been a problem for some time.

If a team wants to play out from the back there should have to take the risk that comes with it, but the current law allows them to use a loophole to get themselves out of trouble.
Completely agree, get rid of all this messing about checking if it has left the PA, ensuring attackers don't cut through the PA when it is taken etc.

OK, can't say I've ever noticed it. Shame the lawmakers address the trifling issues rather then having the guts to address the cheating and circus antics which have killed top flight football for me. Maybe I haven't noticed the issue in question because i long since stopped watching the PL religiously because it's embarrassing. As for Champions League, I'd rather watch Coronation Street

Last edited:

That was attackers running through the penalty box today as opposed to defenders stepping in to prevent it... at least 2 of them.were that anyway

This was a relevant rule particularly in junior football in the past. U10 level was on full size pitches. Probably used to happen 10 times a game where the keeper struggled to reach the 18 yard line! Now kids football is on small sided pitches it's time to get rid

What you mean?
Quote, 'is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses'
One of many cognitive biases we're all prone to
The sort of stuff that causes pilots to crash planes inexplicably; and refs to believe they're right in the face of evidence to the contrary

Last edited:
That was attackers running through the penalty box today as opposed to defenders stepping in to prevent it... at least 2 of them.were that anyway

Yep, two were, but others were defenders stepping in. it's the same law though and I don't see the point of the law, just make it the same as any other restart so that all opponents have to be 9.15m away.

Back