A&H

IFAB 133rd ABM

The IFAB collective will be 1 min drive from me, 3 mins walk , on Tues
If anyone wants any messages passed on, I might be up for storming the meeting

a long time colleague of mine is the designated taxi man too, so, am sure one way or other our voice can be heard!!
Yes please tell them to stop interpreting and correct the law if it does not do what they want......all it would take would be to remove the word deliberate and the hand ball law needs no further interpretation......

The Referee Store
No -- just when it comes directly before a goal.
Broken record sounding alert......this is not law and has just been invented
The problem with Law (or rules as they should be called), is that once you ignore or invent one, you may as well tear up the book
Even my protestations about checking boots hold true for this principle, despite it being a complete waste of time

The problem with Law (or rules as they should be called), is that once you ignore or invent one, you may as well tear up the book
Even my protestations about checking boots hold true for this principle, despite it being a complete waste of time
I never said that it was written into the books.

I've always said that this is what's being instructed as the top levels, as "this is what football expects".

And this is what, from my understanding, the IFAB ABM is recommending as a change to the Law... to codify what the practice on the field has been.

I never said that it was written into the books.

I've always said that this is what's being instructed as the top levels, as "this is what football expects".
Apologies for shooting the messenger!
And this is what, from my understanding, the IFAB ABM is recommending as a change to the Law... to codify what the practice on the field has been.
Apologies for shooting the messenger!

FIFA have invented a few things around DHB.
Like 'ANY handling from a defensive slide tackle / block is a foul'.

It just absurd. The sort of crap that makes me glad I've retired.

And I know that no matter what IFAB do to the law, they'll make it worse. That seems to be the trend with offside anway, so no reason to think SHB will be any better

The IFAB collective will be 1 min drive from me, 3 mins walk , on Tues
If anyone wants any messages passed on, I might be up for storming the meeting

a long time colleague of mine is the designated taxi man too, so, am sure one way or other our voice can be heard!!
7c94060b25b3ea54fc3066936c96c87cbf1b0273c71fa4ec99d260888adef004.jpg
Can you get down there and tell them a few home truths Miley!!!

What does this one mean/involve?

defending team free kicks taken inside the penalty area

The other 3 mentioned that are going to be recommended for change are statements and make sense - this one isn't and doesn't!

Any idea?

Thanks

What does this one mean/involve?

defending team free kicks taken inside the penalty area

The other 3 mentioned that are going to be recommended for change are statements and make sense - this one isn't and doesn't!

Any idea?

Thanks

At the moment defending fk in box must leave the box
Propsal is, it does not have to leave box (for a team mate of the kicker to play the ball)

Propsal is, it does not have to leave box (for a team mate of the kicker to play the ball)
Changing this Law is a waste of time. The Law is actually there to protect the defensive team from passing to a teammate in a vulnerable position imo. Typical IFAB codswallop. Just like making it mandatory for a sub to leave the FOP at the nearest boundary. The latter will last as long as it takes a player to be lynched by opposition fans

The reason they looked at changing it is that they viewed it as unfair that a defender could step into the box and play the ball before it was in play if he was going to be under pressure.

Strange way of going about solving that issue. When will the attacker be able to enter the box?

Come on guys, do let's try to keep up. The full scenario, proposal and reasoning has been available on the IFAB's Play Fair! website for around two years now.

"Goal kicks and defending free kicks in the penalty area: defenders can play ball before it leaves the penalty area
opponents must be 9.15 m at a free kick but the ball does not have to travel 9.15 m before it is in play. However, for goal kicks and defensive free kicks in the penalty area the ball must leave the penalty area before it is in play; if anyone plays the ball before this there is no sanction: the free kick/goal kick is retaken so it can become a time-wasting tactic.

Allowing defending players (including the goalkeeper) to play the ball inside the penalty area once the free kick/goal kick has been taken (the opponents must remain outside the penalty area until the kick is taken) can speed up the game, stop time-wasting and may lead to a more constructive/controlled restart rather than the current ‘long kick’."

IFAB Fair Play! proposals, chapter 3

Last edited:

OK - I see - its a continuation of the line above. Not many realise this law applies anyway - a few times I've had 'Its a FRE KICK ref!' shouted at me when I've made them retake a free kick in this situation.

"Goal kicks and defending free kicks in the penalty area: defenders can play ball before it leaves the penalty area
opponents must be 9.15 m at a free kick but the ball does not have to travel 9.15 m before it is in play. However, for goal kicks and defensive free kicks in the penalty area the ball must leave the penalty area before it is in play; if anyone plays the ball before this there is no sanction: the free kick/goal kick is retaken so it can become a time-wasting tactic.

Sorry, has anyone EVER seen this as a time wasting tactic?

I've seen savvy teams use it to 'kill' the play if they get caught by a quick press, but usually these teams only do it if they're sure the referee is aware of the rule in the first place - or if they've been made aware of the rule by a referee the week before. :p

It's becoming more of a problem at senior levels because of the number of teams who split the centre backs at goal kicks and free kicks in the box, one either side of it, and drop the holding midfielder back into their position central on the edge of the area and push the full backs on. The keeper then tries to either play short to one of the centre backs or holding midfielder, or chips it out wide to the advanced full backs. The problem with the former is the opposition are getting wise to it and are closing the players down, and I've seen numerous occasions of defenders stepping into the area to get the kick retaken and get themselves out of problem.

It's becoming more of a problem at senior levels because of the number of teams who split the centre backs at goal kicks and free kicks in the box, one either side of it, and drop the holding midfielder back into their position central on the edge of the area and push the full backs on. The keeper then tries to either play short to one of the centre backs or holding midfielder, or chips it out wide to the advanced full backs. The problem with the former is the opposition are getting wise to it and are closing the players down, and I've seen numerous occasions of defenders stepping into the area to get the kick retaken and get themselves out of problem.

Can't say I've ever seen it the way you describe myself and I've 'seen' a lot of games

Back