A&H

If you could turn back time

The Referee Store
There is absolutely no chance that a grass roots football referee is "cheating" on the face of it.

There is absolutely no chance I'm a female reproductive organ either but I'm still red carding for it.

I'm still conflicted, on one hand its the use of one the naughty C words, end of, RC..... and on the other hand, yes the Cheat word was used but not in the sense that I was actually cheating (as @Kes orates).... I'm not sure you can have a sliding scale of this but I'm still leaning towards orange (therefore yellow). Had it of been 'you F Cheating C then that's obviously much worse and I 100% understand the bye bye outcome....

Last edited:
I've only heard someone say 'cheat or cheating' a couple of times, not very loudly and both times in annoyance, towards the start of my refereeing.

Both times i didn't produce a card, but told them to essentially shut up, and warned them, based on the way it was said, quieter than usual so most likely that only i could really hear it.

Now though I'd be likely to send them off mainly due to having more confidence and the way i referee, firm and fair, not harsh, but I know myself and any NAR's i have are not cheats in any way, shape or form.

Not sure what your point is.
Calling me a cheat is pretty insulting.

My point is, exactly the same as the one you make. It's a offensive insult because that's what it's intended to be. The player says it to insult/offend/undermine you. He's not saying it because he actually believes you're "a cheat".

That's why I said earlier that I laugh at the members who've posted on this subject words to the effect of "Ooh that's the worst thing a player could say to you - questioning your integrity" blah blah repeat to fade ... :rolleyes:

That was the point I tried to make in post #21. ;) :D

My point is, exactly the same as the one you make. It's a offensive insult because that's what it's intended to be. The player says it to insult/offend/undermine you. He's not saying it because he actually believes you're "a cheat".
I'm not sure why you think this. You only have to look at the comments posted on social media after football matches (at various different levels) to see that some people are genuinely convinced that referees are deliberately making decisions to favour one side over the other - heck, we've even had people on here, when commenting on matches involving the team they support, coming very close to suggesting referees were biased against their team. Given the number of people who make such claims, and the fact that some of them must be football players themselves, I would judge that when this kind of person plays football, they genuinely believe that some referees are cheats, just as they do for the games they watch as spectators/supporters.

I'm not saying that it's the case every single time and I'm sure that some players sometimes do say it just for effect but equally you can't say that every time a player says this, they never, ever mean it. Based on the law of averages, it's inevitable that some of them do believe it and some of them do mean it, just as some supporters do.

Torn between a “cease and desist” message or just pruning this thread.

Opting for the former for now, but will start Removing posts if necessary

Back