A&H

I was assaulted today...

Matthew

RefChat Addict
Well, this is ANOTHER one of 'those' threads.

I hoped I'd never have to write this, but I was assaulted today.

U18 Friendly game, Yellow v Blue, which had been pretty uneventful barring a few tired challenges as the game went on. One of the yellow players was getting some rough treatment, he was fouled and I gave the FK. As I walked over, the player moved towards me and barged into me, before throwing his head in my direction. Thankfully, I saw it coming and pulled my head back, the player was dragged away before I sent him off.

I didn't abandon, perhaps I should have, but that's easy to say with hindsight.

The worst part of it all is that the yellow manager asked me not to send it in because he's "not that type of lad" and he didn't think my safety was threatened. Absolutely pathetic.

I'm ok thankfully, but disgusted at what is happening to the game I love. I just need to get back out there ASAP.

The Referee Store
Send your report in and let the lad stew over. Im sorry to hear that though, as i was almost in same situation, but i knew who the fomentator were, and both already on caution, after a dubious tackle both showed dissent, second yellow to both... and the game quietened down again. Both received 6 match ban

Shocking!

Never good when hearing about a fellow referee being manhandled/assaulted. :mad:

Hopefully to CFA make an example of him.

Good on you for not allowing it to put you off and wanting to get back in the middle.

Sorry to hear this has happened to you mate.

Get your reports in and follow local CFA policy for reporting assaults (some insist on a telephone call on the night of the game to report the assault - check your handbook!).

You said this yourself, but if there is an assault, you should really abandon (I agree it is easy to say this when you don't have the pressure of 22 + people saying "don't do it ref.. etc etc" in your ear). It is as serious as any offence and can psychologically impact on the referee in question. I have been here and did abandon and I am glad that I did. The perpetrator got a lengthy ban which didn't make me feel any better about it, but the support I got from my local RA helped a lot.

Hang in there mate, don't let the bstrads grind you down. This sort of incident is rare and hopefully your local CFA do their work and come down hard on the idiot in question.

Sorry to hear about this incident and hope you're ok. Give Steve Stewart or James Mainwaring a call in the morning (Lancashire FA) and let them guide you through the next steps.

It would have been the right thing to do to abandon this game but don't worry about it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I wish id abandoned when i got a punch in the face. As Brian said, give your CFA a call, they will be only too happy to help

Thanks everyone :)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? I know I should have abandoned looking back on it. I'll be in touch with my CFA first thing on Tuesday morning to find out what I need to do.

Does it need to be reported as VC?

I would also report the manager, though if you did not warn him at the time, I'm not sure if you can.
The manager's attitude is probably the underlying issue.

If you had of abandoned, no one would have blamed you. The fact you didn't, shows a bit of character perhaps ? You didn't let it affect you (or at least showed on the surface that it did) and finished the game !
Before anyone fancies a climb on the high horse - I'm not advocating that you should never abandon for an assault.
I also agree with @The Bstard - chase it up and if the ban is too lenient let them know, threaten to walk away from reffing and inform other referees in your area of the lack of protection they actually receive.

So, we have an update.

The player pleaded not guilty to the charge (yes, really) and it went to a personal hearing, which happened last night.

He's got a 3 game ban (already served), so he's back this weekend. I'm absolutely disgusted, with both the CFA and with the club for backing him. Apparently, the panel decided that the attempted head butt didn't happen; of course they would, with the player turning up with four "witnesses".

I'll be fulfilling the fixtures I've already accepted for the rest of this month, before taking a break from the game. I'm not sure if I want to continue in a game that condones assault.

That's disgusting. I wouldn't be doing the games I had.

Stay on the horse, don't let one man ruin the game for you.

Not surprised in the least. CFA's do not support their referees.

Were you summoned to appear?

I was, and I did. I was asked a couple of questions about positioning on the pitch and the severity of the push by the panel, before the club representative asked questions and insinuated that I had walked aggressively towards the player. The club had asked that I wasn't present whilst witnesses were called, so I left (what's all that about.

I'm furious.

i would not be doing those games that you have already booked in, personally.

You have decided in taking a break, which i do not fall out with, so why not start that with immediate affect.

Dont let the ba*****s get you done pal!!

Back