A&H

I don't count cards but...

30 middles, 0 red cards, plenty of yellows. Not had any real issues which is pleasantly surprising considering that my middles are at a relatively low standard. Had a game today and there was no dissent, no back chat, hardly a tackle of note in an adult Sunday league match. Must be the better weather!

Same here refereed around 12 games this season I’ve had a game with 4yellows a game with 3yellows the others your lucky if there is a single yellow, today none & it’s usually like that.

And I’ve had nothing that even gets close to giving a red.

The Referee Store
You make me feel strict. :p

I just don’t get dirty games, not sure if it’s luck or my fantastic match control :) but my matches so far are played in a good manner & both sides are there to play football.

My cards have been stuck in my pocket gathering dust for a long while, I just haven’t needed them.

A couple of middles between 2 Estate pub teams would soon shift those cobwebs... if I booked for everything possible I’d of doubled the card count, easy! Some of these Herbert’s are walking cards!

22 Games in the middle (so far) with 54 Yellows, 1 red and 3 games without any cautions in comparison to last season:
35 games in the middle with 40 Yellows, 1 red and 14 games without a card.

22 Games in the middle (so far) with 54 Yellows, 1 red and 3 games without any cautions in comparison to last season:
35 games in the middle with 40 Yellows, 1 red and 14 games without a card.
All numbers are your personal numbers, no-one can criticise high or low figures as YHTBT and all that.
My figures in the early years were high but they lessened due to:
1, The players learned what not to do when I turned up
2, I improved as a referee and could see things escalating in advance and was proactive in warnings
3, I was doing less games and dropped Sundays where most of the cards occurred....

Probably a bit of all 3 TBF

All numbers are your personal numbers, no-one can criticise high or low figures as YHTBT and all that.
My figures in the early years were high but they lessened due to:
1, The players learned what not to do when I turned up
2, I improved as a referee and could see things escalating in advance and was proactive in warnings
3, I was doing less games and dropped Sundays where most of the cards occurred....

Probably a bit of all 3 TBF

Oh i agree completely. I know why my card count went up. I had a mock observation at the beginning of this promotion season to see what i lacked in preparation for L5-4 and the key message was I was too nice, trying so hard to manage the game. Hence the slight change in attitude.

Oh i agree completely. I know why my card count went up. I had a mock observation at the beginning of this promotion season to see what i lacked in preparation for L5-4 and the key message was I was too nice, trying so hard to manage the game. Hence the slight change in attitude.
And thats bang on... certainly to move up you have to show you you can apply the laws of the game. I ****ed an assessment up managing what should have been a caution. Evrybody, players, coaches, spectators all accepted it not being a caution given the spirit the game was being played in. Assessor asks "why wasnt he cautioned?". In a nothing game like that one, 1 mistake like that with nothing else to show what your about and the assessor has nowhere else to go with their observations.

And thats bang on... certainly to move up you have to show you you can apply the laws of the game. I ****ed an assessment up managing what should have been a caution. Evrybody, players, coaches, spectators all accepted it not being a caution given the spirit the game was being played in. Assessor asks "why wasnt he cautioned?". In a nothing game like that one, 1 mistake like that with nothing else to show what your about and the assessor has nowhere else to go with their observations.

Oh yeah I'm well aware of that... and it has reflected well in my interview. I might have had one of the highest card counts amongst our candidates but I had the least for dissent, no 2nd cautions, a handful of cautions for persistent infringement. But unfortunately some of my club marks have suffered a bit because of that, but now most of the teams know that I will give it as i see it and that I'm not to be messed with... I think that's a good thing?! :angel::angel:

I have only had 1 red this year although it should have been 2 in retrospect I did make a mistake. I mainly do youth and in my first season I only used my cards twice although 5 in 1 game which was a final. This year my card count at youth level is quite high mainly for dissent, and guess what no county cup semi or finals at youth level, no finals day in the Youth Sunday league I ref in but last year I got all of those. Must of become a worse ref this year maybe next year I will be demoted to a level 12 as I am not stopping carding the gobby players, although I am getting the rep of guys keep your mouths shut you know what he is like.

Isn't it rotated Tino? If you had those fixtures last year, seems unlikely you'd get them again this season. :)

Since I’ve retired I’ve had numerous PMs from players complimenting me on my no nonsense card policy, they were on the receiving end of fouls and verbal abuse etc and appreciated my stance. I never really knew that angle when I was active but it was a nice thing to find out after. There are nice footballers out there, they’re not all noobs!

I’m on five adult men’s Sat / Sunday league games in a row now without a yellow.

Not a single border line bad challenge not a single bit of dissent, I wonder if I’m lucky or if it has an ounce to do with the way I Referee the game.

I have only done 10 middles this season due to injury but I’ve still clocked up 14 cautions.

6 - Dissent
6 - Reckless challenges
2 - Adopting an aggressive attitude

6 came from one county cup game which has skewed the figures, I’ve had 5 games where I had no cards.

I have found that my card count has risen each season. I’m not sure whether I just have less tolerance for players nonsense, I’m getting more difficult games, or I’m getting better at recognising misconduct worthy of a card as I get more experience.

@Men in Black your luck while refereeing is more than likely because you believe all the players myths of what is an offence and what isn't ;):D

It's an interesting debate re the pros and cons of former players refereeing and the advantages/disadvantages this may bring (a debate which has doubtlessly been had a million times on here!).

I agree with the sentiments here, my biggest weakness is not bringing the cards out enough, it's an inherent consequence of 20 years playing adult football and surprisigly hard to snap out of (note, I'm talking about close calls here not obvious cautions, which I clearly use cards for).

I don't believe that you're any worse/better as a ref dependant on whether you have played or not, it's just that the challenges (particularly for new refs like me) are different.

I was always off the opinion that if you played you would be a better ref. Now I've been reffing for a season, it's clear to me that I was wrong. Whilst a ref new to football faces challenges that I don't ie the nature of being in a football environment and all the nonsense that accompanies that, a ref who never played is often more capable of applying the law more effectively at an earlier stage due to the lack of bad habits and inherent sympathy towards players which I have to overcome.

Swings and roundabouts

Last edited:
Back