The Ref Stop

Hungary v Netherlands double touch

The Ref Stop
They don't need to be 10-yards away if they're on the goal line between the posts.
One player who was outside the goal posts wasn't the required distance.

Correct on free kick location should have been closer to the penalty area boundary where the 2nd touch offence happens.

If players can't be 10 yards due to there not being enough distance on the pitch they must be positioned ON the goal line between the goalposts.

I’ve said this many times; football is one of the only sports in which the people who play, watch, coach and offer punditry have very little knowledge of the laws.

Haven't seen it (Geo block) What minute of the game was this.

This is one of those things that with VAR and comms, just tell the ref where it should be taken from properly.
Assuming this wasn't one of the 4 VAR KMIs, I kind of disagree with this. VAR should just stick to the main 4 otherwise a lot more will just creep into VAR involvement and it will just become referee by video replay for everything. If one referee, 2 ARs and a 4O can't get it right, then they should just cop it as something they got wrong.

Last edited:
This is one of those things that with VAR and comms, just tell the ref where it should be taken from properly.
Was it a goal / no goal, penalty / no penalty, straight red card or mistaken identity? No, which means VAR cannot get involved, there won't even have been any communication between the VAR and match officials for this.

Yeah, fair fair. I understand it’s not one of the holy trinity of VAR tenets (when they want / what they want / get it wrong anyway), but with communications open… at THIS level of football. How’s no one going “err, Dave… it’s about two yards inside the box not there”

It's close to DOGSO. The attacker was just beginning to close it down, and the nearest defender is running away not realising what's happening.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241013-105925.png
    Screenshot_20241013-105925.png
    371 KB · Views: 14
Yeah, fair fair. I understand it’s not one of the holy trinity of VAR tenets (when they want / what they want / get it wrong anyway), but with communications open… at THIS level of football. How’s no one going “err, Dave… it’s about two yards inside the box not there”
Communications aren't open, the match officials can't hear what the VAR officials are saying until they tell them to hold the restart as they are checking something. They would have very quickly checked this and therefore not needed to speak to the officials, especially as they had plenty of time as an IDFK in the penalty area always takes an age to get set up.

Communications aren't open, the match officials can't hear what the VAR officials are saying until they tell them to hold the restart as they are checking something. They would have very quickly checked this and therefore not needed to speak to the officials, especially as they had plenty of time as an IDFK in the penalty area always takes an age to get set up.
Not a reviewable situation so they won't have spent very long at all on the check. There was nothing they could have intervened on. I think if the officials had somehow missed the offence that would be the same, non-reviewable

I think @FirsFox40 is aware this is not reviewable, and by comms opens he means available. He is asking for the idea of this to become something possible to be communicated by VAR to ref. As per my post I don't think it's a good idea.

I think @FirsFox40 is aware this is not reviewable, and by comms opens he means available. He is asking for the idea of this to become something possible to be communicated by VAR to ref. As per my post I don't think it's a good idea.
Agree, where would you draw the line? When a goal kick is incorrectly given instead of a corner, when a free kick is given when it shouldn't have been, when a throw-in is taken from the wrong place, etc. VAR telling the referee that a free kick is in slightly the wrong place is not what it was intended for.

I’ve said this many times; football is one of the only sports in which the people who play, watch, coach and offer punditry have very little knowledge of the laws.
I'll nominate American football as being even worse than football/soccer in this regards. The only saving grace for us in the US is that there are a couple of rules experts that actually know what they are talking about.

Back