Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
Do you think that the FA/PGMO have lost faith in Howard Webb. Usually, when an official is appointed to a tournament such as the World Cup, they get big games to prepare them, yet Webb has not officiated a 'big' team since 8th Feb (Chelsea), and hasn't officiated a 'big' game (between two big teams) since 29th December (Chelsea vs. Liverpool)?

The Referee Store
He had a live televised game Saturday. :)

Did I read somewhere that he is coasting towards retirement from top level refereeing and looking at a return to the police force?

He has done everything you can do in football officiating.

I've heard that he will retire after the 2016 euros as after that he will loose his FIFA badge, as far as I know he hasn't refereed in the euros final, but looks like he will need a new trio as darren cann is now 45 and mike mullarkey is 44.

I've heard that he will retire after the 2016 euros as after that he will loose his FIFA badge, as far as I know he hasn't refereed in the euros final, but looks like he will need a new trio as darren cann is now 45 and mike mullarkey is 44.
He won't go to Euro 2016. Clatts' team will go to Euro 2016 I reckon.

I have to say I agree with @Aled - I reckon this will be Webb's last major tournament. At the time of the appointment Webb seemed the correct appointment for the World Cup, however if they were to do it today I think Clatts would get it.

I was a fan of Webb but Clatts has really shined recently. I think then Michael Oliver will take over from Clatts.

Ive had some people say that taylor will take over, but personally I don't rate him, I think Oliver will defiantly be one to watch

Ive had some people say that taylor will take over, but personally I don't rate him, I think Oliver will defiantly be one to watch
Taylor is a good ref, but Oliver is better. I'd be surprised if he doesn't referee a World Cup or European Championships final.

He's back to officiating a 'big' team this weekend, he's doing Palace v. City. Also, he's got the Real v. Bayern game tomorrow night, so UEFA clearly haven't lost faith in him.

They haven't lost any faith in him, he's just already been to the top so no matter what, he's on his way down now. As a result, they must allow other people to get the experience in the domestic league so they can translate that to success internationally.

I think it'll be Clatts. Clatts is the next generation; Oliver is the next next generation.

They lost confidence in him after this:

ibdj7fZJcuhvtE.gif

How can you retain confidence in a referee who claims to be a Police officer who witnesses a GBH assault on the pitch and lets it go?

Back