A&H

Howard Webb retires

The Referee Store
About time.

Sadly i expect the overall standard of refereeing to decline on the PL if he is now their technical director.......has been one of the poorer referees for a couple of seasons now. Should have gone after his World Cup final.

Never had the testicular fortitude to deal with the abuse meted out by Rooney and chums........but then show me a PGMOL official who does?

About time.

Sadly i expect the overall standard of refereeing to decline on the PL if he is now their technical director.......has been one of the poorer referees for a couple of seasons now. Should have gone after his World Cup final.

Never had the testicular fortitude to deal with the abuse meted out by Rooney and chums........but then show me a PGMOL official who does?
its not the pgmo
its sky who run football

Well he has been great service to refereeing and will be for many more years to come

Whilst he has had some poor games in recent times he is without doubt one of the best refs the UK has ever produced. I'm surprised he didn't go after the previous World Cup given he had achieved everything in the game.

The best referee I know, still now. A shame he has retired but will be a great addition to referees in the PGMOL and also referees further down the ladder too

iCaszr5qGoW4t.gif

:devil: ;)

A great referee. Done it all, but will be remembered for the World Cup horror show in the final of 2010 as much as his great games.

Legend all the same

His game at World Cup 2010 was a great performance for what he had to contend with 14 yellows and 1 red referee was good but it was players themselves that made it a bad game

Simply, as I put on Facebook yesterday, he is the greatest referee this country has ever produced.

He has done (in no particular order)
FA Trophy Final
FA Cup Final
Championship play-off final
Football League Cup Final
Community Shield

He is also the only man in history to to referee both the World Cup final & Champions League final in the same season. In addition, he is the only person to have ever returned to a World Cup 4 years after refereeing the final!

None of these achievements can be overlooked. He has achieved stuff us mere mortals can only dream of!

Btw, any further comments, in jest or not, about his 'bias' towards Man Utd WILL result in a ban from RefChat, and I'm being deadly serious. Got fed up yesterday reading the crap comments & jokes about it, so I'm not standing for it on here!

dan should he have gone to the world cup I believe clattenburgh was a better referee the past two seasons ?

Domestically, I'd agree with you Mike but internationally I don't think there has been a better referee than Howard for a few seasons. He has consistently been at his best in high profile demanding international fixtures.

Mike, as ASM says, Webb has been absolutely superb for both UEFA & FIFA in the past few seasons. Yes, he's not been brilliant in domestic football, but has been the best internationally. So, yes, I believe he was the right man to go. Clattenburg will go to Euro 2016 and then Michael Oliver will go to the next 3/4 tournaments.

Back