A&H

How would you deal with

Phonesurgeon

Cook, Cleaner and Bottle Washer
Level 7 Referee
Foul language and swearing in general?

Picture this sort of game: there are few player that continuously swear...
Miss and easy chance, and swear. Miss a pass, and swear. Miscontrol the ball... yep you guessed it... And swear.

Its not directed at anyone in particular, just swearing for no apparent reason.

The Referee Store
Probably nothing unless it's a public area or it is causing offence to people in earshot.

If I needed to deal, a quick word asking why he is unable to string a sentence together without swearing, and then stepped approach from there but it's a tough one...

Stepped approach it is then. Gonna test it out next game. I'm getting a tad fed up of those sort of players/people. Some learn and adapt, others must have deep pockets.

Last time I looked, the only sanction available in the LOTG for offensive, abusive or insulting language was a dismissal?

Did I miss a meeting?

Has this changed?

Or is this another one of those make it up as you go along solution to not doing the job properly?

@Padfoot this sort of swearing is not directed at anyone. Its almost swearing for the sake of it. Swearing towards me or the opponent will earn them the red all day everyday.

Again, must have missed a meeting.....I can't seem to find any requirement in the LOTG that it has to be directed at someone to count?

Does have to be offensive abusive or insulting in the referees opinion though.

It's up to you how far you want to let players go really I suppose

Again, must have missed a meeting.....I can't seem to find any requirement in the LOTG that it has to be directed at someone to count?
In other threads you've seemed keen to use the UB 'bringing the game into disrepute' route for 'other' offences. I would have thought it's perfectly legitimate to use it in cases where the swearing is, in your opinion, damaging the overall image of the game but without actually offending, insulting or abusing anyone? No?

Going back to the op

We were given a directive midway through the last season I believe regarding complaints from members of the public to the council/FA about the swearing during football games. That made our jobs as referees easier because if the swearing did get to a point you could just mention it to the captains asking them for their team to tone it down a bit. Then if they don't listen we could then remind them that if the council got so many complaints about the swearing they could boot them off the pitch for the season, that usually shut teams up a bit.

IMO try not to be threatening, eg cut the swearing out or I'll start sending people off because then you annoy the players with your attitude and you get moaned at asking for cards at every swear word from then on. Usually I'll jog past the captain or player in question and just ask him to cut out the swearing and I sometimes back it up with we're in a public park or there are kids on the touch line.

Last time I looked, the only sanction available in the LOTG for offensive, abusive or insulting language was a dismissal?

Did I miss a meeting?

Has this changed?

Or is this another one of those make it up as you go along solution to not doing the job properly?

Fishing.JPG

Attachments

• Fishing.JPG
    Fishing.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 2

Did I miss a meeting?

Has this changed?

I think you missed the change to the LotG in 1997 when they decided that foul language wasn't in itself a sending off offence.

At a younger level yes I would be putting a stop to it... But for open age or u18s, for example, I'm not going to be making a rod for my own back
Purely because you'll have a word with a player for swearing too much then 5 mins later a player from the other team are going to swear and cue the "oi ref - are you not having a word with him like ?"
If I deemed the swearing crosses the line I.e FFS that's f**king pass was f**king sh*t - you c**t, tw*t sh*t head" then I might have an informal "chill out" word with him.

Thanks guys for your input, I must admit few contrasting views/opinions. I may try something different in my next games... A bit of both, stepped approach, captain talk, then cards.
See how it goes, I'll report my findings at a later stage.

Back