A&H

How long before Coronavirus impacts Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Boris should have listened to his own advise in the earlier days of the outbreak! He was shaking hands for days on visits!

The Referee Store
DAY 8 Furloughed ......Spent yesterday in the front garden and I'm really paying for it now. My left hand side back sciatica is rigid! :(
Jobs that I've put off for years are suddenly on my radar and for her indoors! Having a day off from it to recuperate. Got the back garden and patio to face tomorrow.... Wish me luck!!

Last edited:
Well for starters, see the video in post #237. It's also a figure cited by the Imperial College study:

However, as that quote also mentions, there's a possible range of numbers - as another study points out:
From my own post #251, quote
R0=2.4 but examine values between 2.0 and 2.6
Even since this paper was published, they won't yet have determined an accurate number, so no surprise we have a different number in mind for this

Anyone else think we've strayed into another one of Peter's areas of expertise? I am genuinely impressed.

What other areas of expertise do we have on this forum.

Now if anyone wants to discuss GCSE Maths, I'll be over here.
7 Ball Pool (back in the day)
The Tinternet
Meteorology
Anything else one can have an opinion on ;)

Last edited:
DAY 8 Furloughed ......Spent yesterday in the front garden and I'm really paying for it now. My left hand side back sciatica is rigid! :(
Jobs that I've put off for years and suddenly on my radar and for her indoors! Having a day off from it to recuperate. Got the back garden and patio to face tomorrow.... Wish me luck!!
My back struggles have been concerning me more than the virus. I had surgery 8 years ago to fix a lumbar arachnoid cyst (very rare, like most of my talents). The nerve plays up from time to time. I've been struggling for a month with it
Finally seen some improvement over recent days by ignoring the pain and exercising anyway

However many influenza deaths - and however indirect they are - in a "normal" year - it's still pretty clear that the NHS (and others in most other countries) has been woefully underprepared, underfunded and has been sailing very close to the wind with resources. Depending on your politics, in the UK it's pretty easy to establish why (in my opinion, giving billions to banks, not taxing highly profitable technology companies, and then hobbling public services while attempting to privatise, plus the power of commercial interest lobbyists in govt decisions are all factors).

We are now in a place where a lot of people are clapping for the NHS when they've spent years voting against it. With a backdrop of unnecessary deaths. Fingers crossed we don't start to see the numbers of doctor deaths as seen in Italy. We have to get through this. But I think it's also healthy to look at the big decisions that got us here and what big decisions will be made differently in future - NHS resources, secure care for the elderly, personal transport and climate change, import/export of goods and climate change, consumption of digital services and taxation, digitisation of education (why, who owns the tools, who pays, benefits) etc.
In the aftermath of this, the NHS might get extra funding in the short-term due to political point scoring, but all of the Public Services are bound to suffer further pain once the National Debt kicks in (hence more deaths overall, albeit on somebody else's watch)

I’ve introduced a few of my family to The study of Megalithics, this would need its own Forum TBF. Just google Gobekli Tepe, ancient machining or Baalbek Trialathons and you may get a flavour!

In the aftermath of this, the NHS might get extra funding in the short-term due to political point scoring, but all of the Public Services are bound to suffer further pain once the National Debt kicks in (hence more deaths overall, albeit on somebody else's watch)

And therein lies the challenge.

The world the NHS operates in is very different today to when it was first founded.

Larger population
Longer lifespans
Greater survival rates from conditions that would have previously killed people

It is very easy to say the NHS doesn’t get enough spent on it, however the options are very simple

1) allocate more of the available budget to the NHS at the cost of something else
2) increase the size of the budget to allow the investment

On option 2, you either generate economic growth that means that more taxation comes from companies and people in £ terms and/or you increase the % tax burden on companies and individuals, something which is not popular at election time when it comes to winning votes.

I teach maths. I teach refereeing (and do lots of other stuff to do with refereeing). I love football, live music, cinema, theatre and drinking beer.

I also studied Investment, accountancy, finance of international trade, nature of management, law relating to banking and applied economics as part of a degree level qualification. I know stuff.

Your liver must be pickled Old Bean

Since moving to Somerset in 2006, I have embraced the local beverage ethos and become something of a cider connoisseur.

There are a number of cider farms in the county and I made it my esteemed privilege to visit every one of them, a task I completed a while back. I did of course sample the produce therein and can happily report back that I will never be tempted by beer or ale again and neither will the hitherto converted Mrs Kes. :)

Since moving to Somerset in 2006, I have embraced the local beverage ethos and become something of a cider connoisseur.

There are a number of cider farms in the county and I made it my esteemed privilege to visit every one of them, a task I completed a while back. I did of course sample the produce therein and can happily report back that I will never be tempted by beer or ale again and neither will the hitherto converted Mrs Kes. :)
Did you make it to Burrow Hill cider farm in Stembridge? That's half a mile from where I grew up (and 20 mins from where I am now)

Did you make it to Burrow Hill cider farm in Stembridge? That's half a mile from where I grew up (and 20 mins from where I am now)

I certainly did mate. One of the first I visited as it happens. A few I went back to but not Burrow Hill. I seem to recall his bottled variety was a bit dry for me. I like my cider medium sweet. 😉.
We have one or two farms over here near Norton which I frequent frequently. 😄👍

Interesting that whilst the number of Commercial Aircraft over Europe has been decimated, the same is not true of the skies over the U.S.

And therein lies the challenge.

The world the NHS operates in is very different today to when it was first founded.

Larger population
Longer lifespans
Greater survival rates from conditions that would have previously killed people

It is very easy to say the NHS doesn’t get enough spent on it, however the options are very simple

1) allocate more of the available budget to the NHS at the cost of something else
2) increase the size of the budget to allow the investment

On option 2, you either generate economic growth that means that more taxation comes from companies and people in £ terms and/or you increase the % tax burden on companies and individuals, something which is not popular at election time when it comes to winning votes.
Or you improve fiscal management and stop waste in the NHS....there's a lot of it

Spent a few nights away in Zummerset, Not really a fan of the raw local stuff, its an acquired taste for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kes
Some interesting points herein
Belarus have just kicked off their new season, as normal :confused:
Only 93 cases diagnosed! They obviously know what they're doing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back