A&H

How long before Coronavirus impacts Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of context!

More people have now died in Iran's Fars province from alcohol poisoning while trying to protect themselves from the coronavirus than from the disease itself, Iranian media report.
Mohammad Javad Moradian, the director of the province's emergency services centre, told Isna news agency that Covid-19 had killed 13 people in Fars, while 66 have died after drinking industrial-strength alcohol

Quote: BBC

Where can i get me some industrial-strength alcohol?

The Referee Store
In parts of Spain walking your dogs is the one of the only reasons you are allowed out of your home, along with going food shopping, to a pharmacy or hospital, essential work, petrol stations or to an opticians. Even then you are only allowed to go on your own, there are police and guardia civil everywhere and if you are spotted out not on your own, or with more than one person in a car, it is a huge fine. There is a suspicion that Spanish dogs will be the fittest in the World as they are being loaned between neighbours to get people out :)

I live next to a large park in London and there are definitely a lot more people out walking. Guess that is a good thing as long as they stay 2 metres away from each other. Sadly I suspect that if the spread isn't checked in the UK we will see similar restrictions to those countries.

I was in Lanzarote this time last week. The Police were handing flyers out in the morning to all the joggers that use the coastal path in Playa Blanca stating that if anyone of them were seen running/walking from Monday then they'd be fined and possibly face jail. There was also a list of places you could go, which included supermarkets, pharmacies and hairdressers!

Bit of context!

More people have now died in Iran's Fars province from alcohol poisoning while trying to protect themselves from the coronavirus than from the disease itself, Iranian media report.
Mohammad Javad Moradian, the director of the province's emergency services centre, told Isna news agency that Covid-19 had killed 13 people in Fars, while 66 have died after drinking industrial-strength alcohol

Quote: BBC

Where can i get me some industrial-strength alcohol?
Fake news.

In Banana Republic, many people unable to purchase masks stopped breathing to avoid catching the virus. The number of deaths due to suffocation has surged.

Ink poisening cases have increased as many people use newspapers to wipe their asses due to shortage of toilet paper.

Last edited:
Fake news.

In Banana Republic, many people unable to purchase masks stopped breathing to avoid catching the virus. The number of deaths due to suffocation has surged.

Ink poisening cases have increased as many people use newspapers to wipe their asses due to shortage of toilet paper.
It might not be fake news, maybe because I didn't quote the context of the report
To emphasise, people the world over will be suckers for hoax medicines or interventions. Just take the numbnuts wearing face masks everywhere, despite paltry evidence to support their use. The same group of people, happen to be those queuing round the block at Aldi in a panic.
Alcohol misuse in some areas is commonly reported. I'm not talking Whitley Bay Bank Holiday stuff. More like half of all alcohol consumed in some countries being household cleaning products and the like. So it wouldn't surprise me if 'industrial strength tipples' are normal in remote places, especially when rumour sparks to offer an excuse. Indeed, I'm considering some experimentation down my local corner shop. What's to lose?

The way this is going football isn't going to be returning in the UK any time soon, especially if people don't quickly start changing their behaviour and listen to advice. Social distancing means just that, stay apart from people socially. Pubs closing doesn't mean you should go to a mates for a party instead, or go off to the park for a picnic, but the message isn't sinking it for a lot of people. This was always likely to hit the UK hard due to our pigheadedness, stubbornness and refusal to accept there is a problem. People will say it is the British spirit, that is fine in a war but not in a virus outbreak.

I expect this behaviour means Boris will impose full lock down similar to that in Italy and Spain within a matter of days.

Full lock down is on the pathway for all countries, including us. Boris just going through the motions to justify it
Folk might be more subservient if we didn't have thousands of planes still in the sky, internationally and domestically ferrying the virus to and fro
Perhaps people don't feel threatened by the 1/20000 infection rate (outsida London at least)

Perhaps people don't feel threatened by the 1/20000 infection rate (outsida London at least)
And to some extent why should they? That's no worse than the flu......the so called experts driving these numbers have a history of over egging the dangers from their statistical analysis. At some time I expect to be exposed to this virus, I may already have.
Until we have an reasonably accurate count of the number infected we will never know the true mortality rate.....just saying...

And to some extent why should they? That's no worse than the flu......

The whole world has almost grinded to a halt because of this.
Doctors, not just the media, are pleading with the British public to stay indoors because of the pneumonia it causes. Doctors are picking who lives. The UK will have deaths that will most likely exceed Italy because of how the public are joking around about it.

The amount of money each government across the world are losing and will lose doesn't make it out to be no worse than the flu.

I'm a teacher and I'm absolutely sh*tting myself for next week. I will be on the front line as I'm dealing with teenage kids whose parents are key workers.

My daughter was made redundant today, she's was a self employed hairdresser. She''s very fearful for the future as there is no immediate fall back into something else! Desperate times!

While we should take all precautions, care and plan forward as best as possible, let's stay positive however difficult it may be. It may get worse but it will get better. Humanity has always found a way out of difficult times and this will be no different. We are all affected some way or other but speaking for myself, I can always think of others who are worse of. These situations brings the worst or the best out of people. Let's be part of the latter group.

This is absolutely not the same as seasonal flu, it has destroyed the World economy, resulting in ridiculous number of deaths, people are losing their jobs at a rate never seen before, and unless people change their behaviours it is going to get a whole lot worse. Also the impact of what this will do to people's mental health, with potentially already vulnerable people being in isolation for weeks at a time, can't even begin to be quantified.

It is apathy like this and an unwillingness to accept there is a major problem that will result in hundreds of thousands more people being killed than is necessary. And whilst most of us probably won't care that much about the financial markets, you might do if you are 50+ and you work out what it is going to do to your pension incomes. Those younger might think about what is going to happen to tax, NI, state pension increases, etc, in the next 10 years - lots of people have said there is no magic money tree, and that is correct, what has happened here is governments around the World have had to invent such trees and this unprecedented level of public borrowing is going to take decades to rectify.

And this is just the start. Within days life is likely going to change even more, with people not allowed out of their houses except for essential trips to buy food and medicine. Whereas if people had been a bit more sensible that might not have been necessary. The scenes today with seaside and Peak / Lake district downs seeings crowds bigger than bank holiday weekends sadly shows how people are ignoring advice, and, frankly, how stupid they are. Unbelievers will no doubt say I'm scaremongering, but this is exactly what has happened in many other countries so why do people this we are special and different?

The whole world has almost grinded to a halt because of this.
Doctors, not just the media, are pleading with the British public to stay indoors because of the pneumonia it causes. Doctors are picking who lives. The UK will have deaths that will most likely exceed Italy because of how the public are joking around about it.

The amount of money each government across the world are losing and will lose doesn't make it out to be no worse than the flu.

I'm a teacher and I'm absolutely sh*tting myself for next week. I will be on the front line as I'm dealing with teenage kids whose parents are key workers.
They are currently, not advising us all to stay indoors, but to only go out in small family groups....the mortality rate is, as yet, an unknown, we know those that die because of it, but we do not know how many contract it.....not enough testing. The UK mortality rate is around four percent of those testing positive but we are only testing those admitted or attending hospital.....many, many more contract it but are not unwell enough to need a hospital, so are not tested and counted.

When its all over I'm sure the figures will support all the actions taken..........but in reality, without mass testing, we will never know the true mortality rate.

Annual seasonal flu epidemic deaths have been estimated by WHO to be between around 300k and half a million mostly those over 65.
Currently the number of deaths due to the Corona virus is less than 10 000.

At this stage in the pandemic it is yet too early to state that the mortality rate will be significantly higher than seasonal flu.

Perhaps this is not as fearsome as it is made out.....do I follow current advice, yes, but I'm not sure whether it is really valid.

This is not the flu. It is far more contagious and leads to far more people requiring hospitalisation and intensive care.
I have friends in the North of Italy. Do not take this situation casually. It is a killer. Moreso, when hospitals are over capacity, those that could have been saved will be dying due to the lack of resource; trained staff, ICU beds and ventilators. Stay at home, save lives.

The UK's mortality rate will be meaningless until they test the whole population afterwards for antibodies to this virus as well - we are only testing for cases in hospital and have no idea what is going on in the population.

When all this is done, it will be important to remember that the number of deaths this has caused is actually far less than what would have been caused without the extreme sacrifices we are all making.

This is not the flu. It is far more contagious and leads to far more people requiring hospitalisation and intensive care.
I have friends in the North of Italy. Do not take this situation casually. It is a killer. Moreso, when hospitals are over capacity, those that could have been saved will be dying due to the lack of resource; trained staff, ICU beds and ventilators. Stay at home, save lives.

The UK's mortality rate will be meaningless until they test the whole population afterwards for antibodies to this virus as well - we are only testing for cases in hospital and have no idea what is going on in the population.

When all this is done, it will be important to remember that the number of deaths this has caused is actually far less than what would have been caused without the extreme sacrifices we are all making.

Agree, I have friends in Italy and family in Spain. I cannot believe some of the denial that is going on over here, perhaps once people are effective locked up at home for 23 hours a day they will finally understand how serious this is.

I flew into Bergomo last year and went north to the Italian Alps area. Absolutely beautiful area and lovely people. There are lots of farms though where cheap labour is needed, a bit like Lincolnshire all living close. The population also seemed older, maybe it’s a retirement area I’m not sure. The houses are all close together and small, lots of flats for HMOs etc.Not a good mix with what’s already known about the spread!

Agree, I have friends in Italy and family in Spain. I cannot believe some of the denial that is going on over here, perhaps once people are effective locked up at home for 23 hours a day they will finally understand how serious this is.
Or they would just do a Trump back-flip. A couple weeks ago trump effectively said it is OK for people with COVID-19 to go to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back