A&H

How long before Coronavirus impact on Football is over?

one

RefChat Addict
I thought I should start this. I read somewhere it will be 2 to 3 seasons before it is completely over. I somehow believe it.

The Referee Store
Think that's probably about right. No way the 20/21 season can exist as a normal season - it'll either be abandoned because the current season has to stretch into 2021, or maybe they will try and squeeze in a "half season" where every team is played home or away, rather than both.

That will then obviously have a knock-on effect on European competitions in what would theoretically be 21/22, so even if all goes smoothly and a vaccine is developed soon, the 22/23 season will be the first that is back to "normal". It wouldn't take much to push all of that back another year though.

Reactions: one
I thought last night's intercourse from Boris was quite positive. A change in tone from soundbite to a sensible level of detail
Much more clarification to come today, but the door is conspicuously ajar for sport's return. Many many more hoops to negotiate before that comes to fruition however

I thought last night's intercourse from Boris was quite positive. A change in tone from soundbite to a sensible level of detail
Much more clarification to come today, but the door is conspicuously ajar for sport's return. Many many more hoops to negotiate before that comes to fruition however
I'm genuinely surprised to see you say that, I think if anything they've gone the other way!

"Stay Home" is simple, easy to understand and exactly what we should be doing if possible.

"Stay Alert" is meaningless (how can you possibly keep alert for a microscopic virus?), instructions on what's changed have been misleading and conflicting, and personally, I still think any change has come too early and is motivated mostly by not wanting to be seen as too far behind Germany/France rather than because the data suggests now is the time to relax restrictions.

Why do you say that, the rolling seven day average is falling nicely
It's certianly going in the right direction (finally), but I think if you compare it to the other countries that are only just lifting restrictions (France, Spain, Germany last week), you can see we're still way higher. If the number of daily deaths is higher, we can assume the number of infected (and more importantly, infectious) people is still high, therefore we're still at risk of a double-dip if we start mingling and raising the R-number too fast.

The most obvious conclusion is that average is falling because what we've been doing is working. Any decision to change the current process has to be based on the conclusion that factors other than lockdown are now what's limiting the rate of infection - and I see absolutely no reason to yet think that's the case.

It's certianly going in the right direction (finally), but I think if you compare it to the other countries that are only just lifting restrictions (France, Spain, Germany last week), you can see we're still way higher. If the number of daily deaths is higher, we can assume the number of infected (and more importantly, infectious) people is still high, therefore we're still at risk of a double-dip if we start mingling and raising the R-number too fast.

The most obvious conclusion is that average is falling because what we've been doing is working. Any decision to change the current process has to be based on the conclusion that factors other than lockdown are now what's limiting the rate of infection - and I see absolutely no reason to yet think that's the case.
Aye, but buggar all's changing for a bit yet.....

Aye, but buggar all's changing for a bit yet.....
Isn't it? We've already changed from "Stay Home" to "Stay Alert". Now, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know what that actually means, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm still very pessimistic about any changes at this point, however symbolic or empty those changes might end up being.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...e-groups-dying-disproportionately-of-covid-19
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52561757
https://www.touchendocrinology.com/insight/covid-19-infection-in-people-with-diabetes/
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-11...-stats-show-deaths-rates-for-certain-key-job/
And it goes on............ all stats, and more, from numerous sources.

How will it be overcome? The Suns' daily comedy routine has been epic ie No handshakes, No holding at corners, No goal celebrations, Additional subs (agreed by Fifa), but no mention of kissing and hugging! Non-League with its communal changing rooms & showers will be difficult.
Brighton have had a recent positive test as had clubs in Italy & Germany.
But all we can do is guess whats going to happen.
#staysafe

Why do you say that, the rolling seven day average is falling nicely
Globally (of those with a reasonable number of infections), only Belgium fare worse per capita
The Govt. have eased things a little nevertheless (which has got many in a flap as they can't cope with being 'alert')
Boris knows we're not in the best shape, but he clearly said we're fighting on two fronts. An impossible situation, in which everyone has an opinion;
or criticism, should I say

Last edited:
I'm genuinely surprised to see you say that, I think if anything they've gone the other way!

"Stay Home" is simple, easy to understand and exactly what we should be doing if possible.

"Stay Alert" is meaningless (how can you possibly keep alert for a microscopic virus?), instructions on what's changed have been misleading and conflicting, and personally, I still think any change has come too early and is motivated mostly by not wanting to be seen as too far behind Germany/France rather than because the data suggests now is the time to relax restrictions.
I hope the virus didn't sneak into my house while I was sleeping. It's difficult to stay alert all the time.

Globally (of those with a reasonable number of infections), only Belgium fare worse per capita
The Govt. have eased things a little nevertheless (which has got many in a flap as they can't cope with being 'alert')
Boris knows we're not in the best shape, but he clearly said we're fighting on two fronts. An impossible situation, in which everyone has an opinion;
or criticism, should I say

Attachments

• BDBF20B3-6021-4561-AC67-2E6E8E604413.jpeg
    BDBF20B3-6021-4561-AC67-2E6E8E604413.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 16
The previous lockdown rules were nonsensical in places. What was the point of banning people from sitting in the middle of a park on their own at the same time as they could go and join huge queues at B&Q and be in much closer proximity to others.

They really need the antibody test quickly. I remain convinced that a significant percentage of the population will have already had it, especially in London. Right up until lock down people were crammed onto tubes and trains, in busy offices, in packed post-work pubs and bars, and all at a time that the R was incredibly high. I'm 95% sure that I had it in mid-March, but didn't think anything of it as the symptoms hadn't been mentioned at that time, and at least five of the people I sit close to in the office are convinced they have had it. We also had a team weekend away to Liverpool in mid-March, just after the Liverpool vs Atletico game that is thought to have contributed massively to the spread there.

Looking at photos of the tube in London today I do wonder if either the government have the same view as me, or they are going back to the herd immunity approach. Telling people to go back to work with just 12 hours notice, knowing that workplaces and transport providers wouldn't be able to react in that time, seems a bit fishy to me.

The previous lockdown rules were nonsensical in places. What was the point of banning people from sitting in the middle of a park on their own at the same time as they could go and join huge queues at B&Q and be in much closer proximity to others.

They really need the antibody test quickly. I remain convinced that a significant percentage of the population will have already had it, especially in London. Right up until lock down people were crammed onto tubes and trains, in busy offices, in packed post-work pubs and bars, and all at a time that the R was incredibly high. I'm 95% sure that I had it in mid-March, but didn't think anything of it as the symptoms hadn't been mentioned at that time, and at least five of the people I sit close to in the office are convinced they have had it. We also had a team weekend away to Liverpool in mid-March, just after the Liverpool vs Atletico game that is thought to have contributed massively to the spread there.

Looking at photos of the tube in London today I do wonder if either the government have the same view as me, or they are going back to the herd immunity approach. Telling people to go back to work with just 12 hours notice, knowing that workplaces and transport providers wouldn't be able to react in that time, seems a bit fishy to me.
Whilst we could deduce the safety of sitting alone in a park, we've seen that many in Society are unable to use common sense to maintain compliance

Anyway, families have been meeting across driveways for weeks, so some of the changes are only ratifying common practice. Folk have gone into meltdown today because Boris called upon people to use their noggins to fill in unavoidable gaps in the message

For the record, I'm still in the RED zone. Rest, Exercise, Drink... I'm the fittest sot in Hertfordshire 🏃‍♂️

The problem isn't with allowing one person to sit on their own in a park, it's that if you allow one person to do it, you can't then justify saying no to the next person, or the person after that and so on until the park is full. And we also don't know enough about the virus to know how dangerous it would then be if an hour later someone else came along and sat in the same spot - is the grass contaminated? Literally no one knows, so why not all do our park to minimise risks? Although as you say, that is almost immediately contradicted by allowing DIY shops to stay open!

I read about a study by an American university where they invited people who thought they'd had the virus to come along and be tested and found only 40% positive results. Some of that was down to concerns over the antibody test they were using maybe not being able to detect antibodies until an unknown amount of time after, or the antibodies not building up immediately, but they still concluded that a significant number of people who thought they'd already had it in fact hadn't. Don't forget, there will still the the usual selection of seasonal flu's and colds, some of which will be very similar to a mild coronovirus case but won't generate the correct antibodies.

A lot of the people who turned up to be tested had already assumed they were immune, even though the presence of antibodies doesn't necessarily imply that. As you say, that's why testing is so important. If you think you've had it and are immune, it's natural for your behavior to change, but people who think they're immune and aren't will end up putting themselves and others at risk.

I’m watching the return to footy practice of my 7 year old’s team. There are a total of 4 coaches and 22 kids on a full field. Loads of space, luxury situation, following the local FA (small Nordic country) guidelines for the next 2 weeks... don’t pick up the ball, stay 2m away. It’s all fitness and solo control.

On one hand great they are doing it and well done to the coaches.

Here people are most paranoid about e.g. random spit from oiks.

On the other hand this is a stark reminder that footy has a long way to come back.

Back