A&H

How has your promotion season gone?

The Referee Store
Pending a fitness test - you're not level 4 until you pass it is my understanding
Well ideally you should have done your fitness test by September of that promotion year. Or else you don't get considered for promotion at all that season.

Fitness test completed in October. Though I know I will need to complete one for the coming season just as the current L4s need to.

Start the training for it during Easter. Though this will be bought forward if the dates are announced earlier.

Fitness test completed in October. Though I know I will need to complete one for the coming season just as the current L4s need to.

Start the training for it during Easter. Though this will be bought forward if the dates are announced earlier.
looking back through posts this time last year a list was furnished which indicated they are in and around July. It was just my understanding that you dont officially make your level 4 until the fitness test is passed again to start the season.

The tests are usually beginning of June and July, you will be offered the choice of date. There are other ones in August and September for referees who failed their first one or were otherwise unavailable.
As a regular fitness test failer I suggest you all start your training now. And good luck.

This comes up every year, and there is always a lot of confusion. The reality is ...

- CFAs will nominate candidates who have had 5 observations and averaged over 73 on these
- CFAs will nominate candidates who have had 3 or 4 observations and averaged over 73 on these AND are in the top 50% of their league's club mark merit table.
- CFAs cannot nominate anyone who do not meet the above two requirements.
- CFAs will be asked to rank all candidates they nominate in terms of priority for selection. This will include observer marks but may also include club marks, league comments, availability, administration, etc
- The FA will then take however many referees they need from the ranking provided by the CFAs.

If you get past this you then need to pass the FA's fitness test, normally held on the first or second Sundays of June and July. Astonishingly a huge number of referees despite getting this far then fall foul as they fail the fitness test.

The two dates which have been confirmed for the fitness tests this year are:
  • 11th June
  • 9th July
Venues haven't yet been confirmed. But, if you PM me, I'll send you the location list from last season (which is likely to be similar to this year).

Best of luck with finding out whether you've been accepted to level 4. I know from experience it's one of the longest months you'll likely ever experience!

The two dates which have been confirmed for the fitness tests this year are:
  • 11th June
  • 9th July
Venues haven't yet been confirmed. But, if you PM me, I'll send you the location list from last season (which is likely to be similar to this year).

Best of luck with finding out whether you've been accepted to level 4. I know from experience it's one of the longest months you'll likely ever experience!
It already has been. Its the prospect of another one thats killing me.

Thanks @RustyRef that confirms my understanding of the process.

First assessment today (7-6). Super tough conditions - very very windy - meaning tackles and jumps were largely mistimed. I'm please with how I performed, a really strong game from my PoV, so the score will be a fair assessment of where I'm at in my development.

Observer said "very good refereeing" and he had a lot of sympathy for the conditions...and then gave me positive and development points in the debrief. He asked me about a penalty which I waved off...I said no way and I was very close...he seemed satisfied but I think he thought it should of been called (I still don't). He said second goal was offside but the CAR was useless and it was close - "no way I could of seen it". Bit worried about those two KMIs but he seemed to side with me on both in the debrief.

Positive - confidence, advantage, verbal comms with players and AR, general positioning, fitness, match control (including dealing dissent "perfectly"), application of law.

Negative - drop zone positioning and ball watching in the air (I was trying to move around but with the wind I got it wrong a few times and with the wind I was sure I'd get a ball in the back of the head today), foul throws (he said one guy was spinning with his right hand every time...interesting), missed a few "in the back ref" due to drop zone positioning.

Overall I think the final result will be at standard or ?maybe? above...we'll see when the report comes in.

First assessment today (7-6). Super tough conditions - very very windy - meaning tackles and jumps were largely mistimed. I'm please with how I performed, a really strong game from my PoV, so the score will be a fair assessment of where I'm at in my development.

Observer said "very good refereeing" and he had a lot of sympathy for the conditions...and then gave me positive and development points in the debrief. He asked me about a penalty which I waved off...I said no way and I was very close...he seemed satisfied but I think he thought it should of been called (I still don't). He said second goal was offside but the CAR was useless and it was close - "no way I could of seen it". Bit worried about those two KMIs but he seemed to side with me on both in the debrief.

Positive - confidence, advantage, verbal comms with players and AR, general positioning, fitness, match control (including dealing dissent "perfectly"), application of law.

Negative - drop zone positioning and ball watching in the air (I was trying to move around but with the wind I got it wrong a few times and with the wind I was sure I'd get a ball in the back of the head today), foul throws (he said one guy was spinning with his right hand every time...interesting), missed a few "in the back ref" due to drop zone positioning.

Overall I think the final result will be at standard or ?maybe? above...we'll see when the report comes in.

Best of luck mate, seems like you had a good solid performance. Let's hope you get the results you want and best of luck with the remainder of the promotion season.

Re the "spinning" throw in.....

Q1: Why has the wording about the hands been changed?
The Law has been reworded to emphasise that the ball must be thrown by BOTH hands and the practice of throwing the ball with one hand and the other hand just ‘guiding’ the direction of the throw is not permitted.

Depends how you define "guiding the direction" I suppose?

Re the "spinning" throw in.....

Depends how you define "guiding the direction" I suppose?

very helpful @Padfoot, thanks. When I got the feedback I was sort of smiling to be nice but a bit confused. If I'm honest I watch for hands behind the head, feet on or behind, and feet on the ground. This was new and something I will watch for. Reading your post clarifies nicely though - thanks again.

Good start WilliamD - I could do with more of my games not being postponed. I should be racing through fixtures this time of year making it easier for when the "poor" weather arrives next season - so far only two games have been played since the promotion season started!

Back