A&H

How can a player get to adult football NOT knowing what dissent is?

The Referee Store
.... Has never been mentioned by an assessor. And were I assessing I wouldn't be bothered if he did or didn't.

It is one of the competences you have to assess referees on. So if you are not bothered about this, what happens when he gets a different assessor who lists it as a development point.
Your views on whether or not required is irrelevant as an assessor - it is what the assessor manual says to assess on.

It is one of the competences you have to assess referees on. So if you are not bothered about this, what happens when he gets a different assessor who lists it as a development point.
Your views on whether or not required is irrelevant as an assessor - it is what the assessor manual says to assess on.

Can't find a thing in my assessor's handbook with regards to checking studs,

So what does it say on the topic of pre-match checks, pre substitution checks, deusex?

I think everyone is correct ;)

I tend to check studs and jewellery where I can (i.e. if I have access to the changing room doors as the players come out), but if the players are already on the field then I don't do a boot check unless I'm being assessed (sorry, just telling the truth).

Jewellery is completely different though, I ask all players to ensure no jewellery of any kind (I tend to shout this while the teams are warming up if they are on the pitch), and I remind them that is I see any during the game I will caution the player as he has ignored my request to remove it. On three occasions this season I have seen players removing rings at this point.

And if anyone moans, I do them for dissent - there's the link with the original topic.

Is there actually a law regarding metal studs while we're on this? You know, rugby style?

And if you saw a player wearing them, what would you do?

No. As long as you deem them not dangerous, play on. If you deem them dangerous? They're not allowed.

I've seen a variety of different styles of rugby studs, some obviously dangerous for our game... some that are pretty much the same as footie studs, so... no more dangerous than regular studs.

Is there actually a law regarding metal studs while we're on this? You know, rugby style?

And if you saw a player wearing them, what would you do?
A player cannot wear anything that is a danger to themselves or others - as stated in laws of game.

Although i don't think they sell metal studs any more.

I don't even know anyone that wears them.

The material the studs (or any other parts of basic equipment for that matter) are made of is irrelevant unless there is safety concern. I don't see any difference between metal and hard plastic studs/blades as far as safety goes. They both have the potential to become unsafe.

Back